3406 replies to this topic

#3256 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:01 AM

mikkeller sd tripper bocker trippelbock lager brewed with raspberries - 8.5% abv. this one ended up spending too much time in the fridge, but we’re still within the best by date on the can so I assume this is about two months old. anyways... if you’re wondering what the difference between a dopplebock and a tripplebock is I have just googled that for you and found out that triplebock appears not to be a german term and most of the google results refer to a sam adams beer that was one of the original “extreme” beers, which has nothing to do with this, thankfully. (I had the original batch of that when it was about 5 years old and it tasted like unadulterated kikoman.) google also reminded me of a mikkeller/de proef triple bock that was similar to a belgian quad, but I don’t really know why they’re using that term here since it’s not that much bigger than most dopplebocks and doesn’t taste anything like a triple. anyways... this is a classic mikkeller beer, it tastes like a good dopplebock that has some of the chocolate malt notes you’d usually find in a stout, which are perfectly integrated with a raspberry flavor in a way that reminds you of german baking. there’s enough sweet malt and yeast here that it doesn’t seem like a stout, but I’d be pretty happy if I pegged this as a lager without having read the can. recommended.

#3257 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

other half x half acre fully frothed imperial india pale ale - brewed at other half, 8.3% abv. this is the first of many posts about beer released for other half’s 5th anniversary, which culminated in the six beers they released saturday morning, which I’ll post about later. the week before their anniversary saw them re-release collaborations with other breweries for the first time, and while the lines kept me from picking all of them up I did manage to buy the most of the weekday releases. this was part of the initial tuesday release, along with a terrible collaboration with j wakefield that tasted more like grainy peach juice than beer, which is presumably worse than the stuff that’s made j wake famous. this, on the other hand, actually seems like a better version of the half acre beer we get in nyc. it’s got the same citrus focused hop flavors and malt presence you expect from half acre. it’s got eukanot, el dorado, mosiac, simcoe, and simcoe cryo, which make grapefruit and orange the main flavors, with a little bit of tropical stuff and sweet malt underneath. I was a little bit bummed that this was one of the few collabs I managed to get but this is very nice and is more than the sum of its parts blah blah blah.

#3258 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:08 AM

other half x cellarmaker all dank everything imperial india pale ale - 8.3% abv. I don’t really know anything about cellermaker, apart from some draft unimpressive stuff I had on tap at other half after their ipa fest. this collab goes back to summer 2016, and actually seems like a very good example of the way I remember their beer back then. this has an interesting hop bill, it’s got the very OH combination of citra, nelson, and motueka along with some of the segal ranch cascades they use sometimes. this has a great combination of melon and peach with some slightly bitter nelson/tropical stuff in the finish. this is a very enjoyable beer and is better than a lot of the stuff in their regular rotation.

#3259 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:12 AM

other half x cloudwater imaginary greenscapes imperial india pale ale - 8% abv. this is the rare collaboration they seem to have made a few times, although I think cloudwater made a few trips to brooklyn. I’ve had a few of their beers, both collabs they made with oh and beer made in manchester, which has mostly been pretty enjoyable. apparently the first batch of this, which was made in april 2017, was the first other half beer made with lactose, which makes it a very important beer in the history of other half. this doesn’t really seem like an oh lactose beer, the finish tastes a little bit like lactose but the body is pretty light, and the hops are also softer and less intense than the usual other half beer. it’s got citra, nelson, cashmere, and calypso, and has a really nice combination of softer tropical stuff and melon that’s a lot like the nelson that they hand selected last year. I was initially pretty sceptical about their reissues, going backwards seems like an odd choice for a brewery that’s improved so much over the years, but this tastes great and makes me wonder how much I’ve missed. look for a few posts about beer made by other people before I get to the seven other other half anniversary beers in my fridge, which don’t include any of the beers released two saturdays ago.

#3260 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:33 AM

toppling goliath pseudo sue pale ale - 6.2% abv. I’m not sure what to think about this one. I’ve read about it on the web for years, it’s the fifth rated american pale ale on beer advocate (behind sierra nevada pale ale, two excellent three floyd’s beers, and dale’s pale ale, which is an odd list), and if I have the story right it was originally made in iowa, contract brewed without much success, and is now being made at a larger brewery in iowa that’s big enough for them to distribute it widely. I was extremely underwhelmed by this at first, but as I get used to it it’s exactly what that the beer advocate rating suggests it is - a very good example of mass produced beer. like zombie dust, one of the two three floyds beer mentioned above, it’s an all citra pale ale that drinks like an ipa. the hop notes are mostly orange and mango with some resin, and like the better sierra stuff it’s more nuanced than it seems at first and there’s some papaya and pineapple under the brighter stuff. the problem is the malt notes aren’t great and are much more apparent than I’m used to, which makes since in an eight year old beer. stylistically this is a lot like a maine beer company beer in terms of malt presence and hop profile, only their beer is much, much better made. I’m glad I finally got to try this but I’m sure I won’t buy it again. this is nineteen days old, but I’m glad the other beer they sent to ny was too old for me to buy.

#3261 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,757 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:35 AM

People like Dale’s because it comes in cans.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3262 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:41 AM

we had a keg of it at the post wedding kegger we threw in 2007, when it was unquestionably the best thing bierkraft would sell me a full keg of. they sent some 95 pound hipster to deliver it who literally couldn’t lift it out of the back of the suv without help and I carried the full keg (not a sixtel) to the third floor by myself. this was a year or two after it won some nyt best beer that comes in a can tasting.

#3263 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,757 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:42 AM

I’m sitting here at this bar laughing out loud.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3264 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:49 PM

threes brewing + mikkeller sd the exception that proves the rule new world lager - brewed at threes, 4.6% abv. I’m not sure what rule this disproves (non-noble hops ruin pilsners, the current crop of fruited low abv beers are terrible, yadda yadda) but this is really nice and has that classic mikkeller “classic but way out” thing that I always love. this was made with satsuma orange and nelson, but it starts out with some really well done bready malt notes that continue as the lychee and a small amount of citrus appear. this has just the right amount of flavor but has enough going on to keep it interesting. recommended.

#3265 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:42 AM

evil twin brewing new york city sey coffee sey no more imperial porter brewed with coffee and vanilla and almonds added - brewed on top of the halsey l stop, 11.5% abv. I guess this is a version of imperial biscotti break, which is one of the original evil twin beers that was pretty good when it was made at westbrook and cost a lot more than the current two roads version. this was made at the opposite end of the evil twin spectrum by one of the root + branch people, and while it’s not as good as the root + branch stout I had recently almost nothing is. this is entirely as described, you get the all the adjuncts and not much else, but the coffee notes are really well done and the overall effect is like a grimm dipa, everything is soft and layered and It drinks like it has a much lower abv. this is probably the best done coffee flavor I’ve had in a beer blah blah blah. recommended.

#3266 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:07 AM

lawson’s finest liquids maple nipple amber ale - brewed in waitsfield, vt, 8% abv. this isn’t the kind of beer I usually drink, amber ales are probably my least favorite traditional style, but the idea of lawson’s beer actually made in vermont (unlike the two roads stuff we usually get) was too exciting to pass up, and this is actually an enjoyable beer. apparently this goes back to sean lawson’s home brew days when he took an old english recipe called the bishops tipple and replaced the sugar with maple syrup. anyways... this is a nice enough beer, there’s some nice malt sweetness that gives way to maple in a really pleasant way. this really hides the abv well, isn’t that sweet, etc, etc.

#3267 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:27 AM

other half x omnipollo cookie kooks imperial stout with cacao nibs, vanilla, caramel sauce, coffee, pretzels, potato chips, corn flakes, cookie crisp, cinnamon toast crunch, golden grahams, cocoa puffs, oats, and milk sugar - brewed at other half, 15.4% abv. this is one of the beers other half released during their anniversary week, but I’m pretty sure neither brewery, or any other brewery, has made beer like this before. none of the individual ingredients really stand out here, but a lot of them are present. it tastes grainy the same way that the cereal they used does, the pretty appararent alcohol does have some cinnamon character, the caramel and vanilla come through, and there is some salt in the finish. so, do I think this is a good beer? it’s too hot and too sweet for that, but there’s a lot of things going on here that kind of work together, which is impressive given that this is a one off. most of the stouts that omnipollo had at the torst tap takeover that occasioned this were better put together than this, including a stout they made with granola. this probably tastes better than it sounds.

#3268 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:45 AM

other half 3rd anniversary triple dry hopped imperial india pale ale - 10% abv. this is, it goes without saying, a rerelease of a beer they’ve made before, although I don’t think I had it when it was originally released or last year. they usually save their best recipes for the anniversary ipa, I remember thinking that the second and the fourth were among the one or two best beers they’d made at that point, which is still true of fourth blah blah. this has mosiac, vic secret, wai-iti, citra, motueka, galaxy, simcoe, and citra cryo, which is a very other half combination. those were used to dry hop this three times, of course, and this version adds lactose, which is neither listed as an original ingredient or perceptible to me. this is a lot more like their old stuff than their new stuff, it’s bitter enough that it’s hard to see any nuance at first, but there’s a nice mixture of the not really berry thing you get with mosiac, some buzzy tropical stuff, orange, mango, and so on. the cryo hops are very apparent, etc, etc. this was released when the oh lines were at their worst, so I won’t pretend to situate it among what they were doing then but I expect to enjoy the other three anniversary ipas a lot more.

#3269 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:38 AM

other half 4th anniversary quadruple dry hopped imperial india pale ale - 10% abv. as I said above I thought last year’s initial release of this was among the top two or three beers other half had released at that point. it’s got citra, galaxy, enigma, el dorado, mosiac, and citra cryo, but last year/night’s beer had 6.5 lbs per barrel of hops and this one has 8 lbs per barrel, which is pretty surprising because the hop bills are pretty similar in that they combine american and antipodean hops the way oh stuff often does, but this is a lot smoother and has a similar combination of orange, mango, passion fruit, and peach that’s bitter in the slightly buzzy other half green way that I’m always posting about. this is definitely still one of the better versions of that blah blah blah and also blah.

#3270 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

other half 5th anniversary imperial india pale ale - 10% abv. this one really blew me away, it’s probably the best beer I’ve had from them (the non ddh mylar bags is the other contender) and definitely one of the best big dipa/triple ipas that I’ve come across. it starts with a bunch of really rich peach that gives way to creamy pineapple and melon. this tastes a lot like their hand selected nelson, which is a lot more like pineapple than the lychee and white wine that I associate with the nelson, which was used along with citra, galaxy, mosiac, and citra cryo. they were used in the same 8lbs per barrel ratio that they used in last year’s beer, which is kind of shocking, but this really has a huge amount of flavor without being overly abrasive and so on. recommended.