3319 replies to this topic

#3271 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:22 AM

other half I miss the old other half imperial india pale ale - 8% abv. I was going to try to think of something snappy to say about the title, but apparently this is a tribute to their original tap room, which really deserves some kind of award for patina management. this does a really good job of updating their original beers, it’s got some bitter citrus and a little bit of pine, but It’s a lot less abrasive than their early stuff and has a very mild version of the “green” or I ripe fruit flavor that most of their earlier beers had. it’s got mosiac, citra, simcoe, nelson, and motueka, but no cryo hops. it’s really too bad that these anniversary beers don’t enter their regular rotation. recommended.

#3272 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:36 AM

evil twin brewing new york city george st colada sour sour ale brewed with milk sugar with pineapple and cream of coconut added - 4.5% abv. this kind of beer, which every good brewery seems obligated to make for some obscure reason, has to be really well done for me to enjoy it, and this is just about at that kind, which is a I guess saying I think I prefer the better grimm lacto sours but this is pretty well done. it’s exactly as described, the only flavors are the ones printed on the can, which are a pretty obvious combination, but this is made with some finesse and it’s well balanced. recommended to people who like this stuff.

#3273 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:03 AM

evil twin brewing new york city even more candy bars edition 1 imperial stout with butterfingers added - 14% abv. this is definitely an even more jesus variant, it has the huge soy flavors that the base beer has, which are followed by some vanilla, cheap milk chocolate, and well butterfingers. this is a lot better made than the way I remember the original westbrook even more jesus, it’s smoother, more nuanced, and this is a lot more enjoyable than it has any right to be. the meat/soy flavors are an intentional flaws, but this has a lot less residual sugar and apparent alcohol than any high abv beer I can think of, which is impressive. I’m not saying this is good, but I’ll be surprised if the OH anniversary stouts that are such a big deal in the beer trading world are better.

#3274 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:22 AM

evil twin brewing new york city how long did it take you to grow that mustache double dry hopped india pale lager hops: mandarina bavaria/hallertau blanc - 5.5% abv. this one is exactly what I like - there’s a nice and soft grainy base followed by simple citrus hop notes and a little bit of lager yeast. this is an extremely well made beer that’s a lot more adult than any evil twin product I’ve had, which is surprising given the two beers above it, but I guess they can make good beer just as well as they make bad beer. strongly recommended to adults.

#3275 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:34 PM

evil twin brewing new york city I grew up in williamsburg double dry hopped india pale ale hops: hops: galaxy & motueka - 7% abv. this is a pretty other half hop bill, but the mixture of peach, pineapple, melon, guava, and tropical fruit is soft and nuanced the way the grimm stuff is, only a bit more bitter. there’s enough of this stuff out there now that’s made at a high level, but this is an extremely well made beer, as good as any single ipa I’ve had not made at hill farmstead. it’s juicy, nuanced, it’s too sweet, has a hint of really well done grain notes, blah blah blah. strongly recommended.

#3276 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:25 AM

omnipollo agamemnon imperial stout brewed with maple syrup & with natural flavors added - brewed at two roads, 12.5% abv. this is one of the older omnipollo beers, there’s a post somewhere above about an old bottle of an older version (probably made at de proef) that google can’t find for me. omnipollo must have a similar role in the history of beer to the one helmet played in 90s music - it seemed great at the time but are harder to enjoy when you realize where they ended up (pastry stouts, limp bizkit, beer that doesn’t taste like beer, korn, and so on) although I guess fantamorgana lead to many things that are great, and all that helmet can take credit for is that really good clawhammer ep and the terrific two and a half lps of their own music they released before turning to shit in the middle of their third lp. this is a decent imperial stout that tastes like someone added a bunch of maple syrup to it, this it big and rich but lacks the main virtue of the other gypsy stouts made at two roads because is somehow costs almost twice as much.

eta: the am rep singles collection is good too, of course.

#3277 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:19 AM

evil twin brewing 90 days dry aged stout milk stout brewed with dry aged malt - brewed at two roads, 9% abv. I’ve never really had a beer that tastes like this, which is always exciting. is it a result of the dry aged malt? what is dry aged malt? why are the only google hits for dry aged malt related to this beer, or the bigger and smaller versions of it that haven’t been released yet? well the can tells us.. no, the can doesn’t even have the usual quip about the beer inside, so.. this actually tastes meaty, not like bacon the way rauch beers do, but like soy sauce and beef. my guess is that this is the result of dead, or autolysed, yeast, which is present in even more jesus but has really brought to the front here. this isn’t necessarily a pleasant flavor, so the combination of chocolate malt and what’s probably lactose is welcome. I don’t know if I’m right about why this tastes the way it does, but I’m also not sure that I like it that much.

#3278 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:36 AM

mikkeller nyc parlor coffee og estate wheated imperial stout w/guatemala pulcal coffee - made at citifield, 10% abv. this is a very smooth imperial stout, my guess is that the wheat means that most of the roasted flavor comes from the coffee, but this is very much a “ne ipa” approach to an imperial stout. there’s some milk chocolate, lightly roasted coffee flavors, a little bit of vanilla maybe, and a small amount of booze. parlor makes good coffee, and this tastes like the kind of coffee I want to drink, which is rare. I sat on this one for too long, but it’s really nice, even if it does taste more like an imperial brown ale with coffee yadda yadda. drink up if you have them.

#3279 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

mikkeller nyc whirlpool wizard new england style imperial india pale ale - 8.5% abv. this isn’t that great, it’s pretty buzzy in a bad way and doesn’t have that much else going on. it was made with citra cryo, and then dry hopped with amarillo, citra, and galaxy, and there’s a little bit of galaxy under the bitterness but there’s an unpleasant apple like astringent flavor throughout and I expect more from them. I’ll be ok.

#3280 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:22 PM

other half all 5th anniversary everything imperial stout with almond, cacao nibs, cinnamon, vanilla and coffee - 15.4% abv. there were three anniversary beers this year, a terrific double ipa I had last week, this, and another stout that I’ll have tomorrow. the anniversary ipas are usually among their best, and this is a lot better than their average stout. these flavors are a pretty natural combination and they definitely work well here, the cinnamon helps hide the booze, the almonds are present throughout and share the finish with the vanilla, etc, etc. so this tastes the way you think it would, it’s huge and rich and all the adjuncts come through, but there’s a shockingly small amount of apparent alcohol and this is almost quaffable. I’m not saying it’s beer for people who like beer flavors or anything like that, but this is enjoyable and actually is better than the evil twin butterfinger beer. recommended.

#3281 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:13 AM

hill farmstead edward american pale ale - 5.2% abv, growler filled (by someone else) at the brewery yesterday! this one has centennial, chinook, columbus, simcoe, and warrior hops, which is decidedly old school at this point, and the basic set of flavors here really isn’t that different from what you’d get in an old school stone beer - orange, tangerine, a little pine, and some malt. this is very much a ne ipa though, and the fruit that is here is soft and layered and there’s an incredible about of nuance and a fair amount of flavor for such a low abv beer. I really can’t get over how well made this is - the malt note is perfect, etc, etc. my strongest recommendation.

#3282 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:18 AM

other half all 5th anniversary everything imperial stout with wild thai banana, vanilla, coconut, toasted coconut, and macadamia nuts - 15.4% abv. this is a pretty inspired combination - I’d be hard pressed to guess banana but there’s a big, pleasant sweet flavor at first, and the coconut is pretty apparent and the nuts take over the finish, along with a little banana. like last nights beer this is huge and rich, and this one does have some apparent alcohol, but this is again very enjoyable. recommended to anyone who doesn’t want too much beer in their beer.

#3283 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:06 AM

the alchemist heady topper ale - 8% abv. what if this is just a beer and not the first ne ipa blah blah blah? this is a really well made beer, it’s balanced and easy to drink and there’s a lot of nuanced american hop flavor here. I get resin, orange, maybe some papaya and melon, peach, but there’s also enough bitterness that I don’t think I’d say it was a ne ipa if someone else introduced it today. I’m not saying it’s bad, in fact this is much, much better than I remember the other ten or so cans I’ve had, maybe because they were purchased two days ago. (they don’t date stamp their cans for whatever reason.) there’s also the same odd grain notes the old other half beers had, which is odd to me. anyways, heady topper is a very good beer! you heard it here first!

#3284 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:43 PM

Springdale Figetta Bout It: 7.25%, oak aged brown sour with fig juice. This is from the 'experimental offshoot' of Jack's Abbey. Medium acidity, fizzy, easy drinking. Very strong dried brown fig, Turkish fig flavors. Balsamic. Some weird wood flavors hanging around. Okay.

Prairie Artisan Ales Hulk Hands: 5.4%, Leipzig gose. Dry hopped with falconer's flight and cascade. Didn't drink this under optimal conditions (cool, from a can, lying on a wolf pelt) but from what I can remember, it was really good. Creamy, peppery, citrusy, yeasty. Like a whole wheat key lime pie with some flaky salt and sake lees sprinkled on top. Maybe.

Immortal space traveler.

#3285 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:07 AM

freigeist berliner schiesse berliner braunbier ale brewed with strawberries - 5% abv. the current crop of american fruited lacto sours are such shit that I was pretty excited to try this - I think this brewery was making that stuff before it was popular here. this seems like it’s pretty old, but it’s still pleasant, with a well done set of dark wheat notes, a little bit of fruit, and really well done sour notes that aren’t that tart.