3320 replies to this topic

#3286 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:35 AM

the alchemist crusher american double inida pale ale - 8% abv. this is another surprisingly old style beer from the alchemist, although I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since this is only the third alchemist beer I’ve had. this is big and hoppy in an old school pine and bitterness way. there’s a little bit of fruit underneath - lime, peach, melon, a lttile bit of tropical fruit, but this doesn’t have the layers of flavor or easy drinkability that heady does.

#3287 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:58 AM

aecht schlenterla rauchbier lentbier - 5.9% abv. I was pretty excited to find these, they’re from the b united tank container canning project, which ships beer across the atlantic in temperature controlled containers and canned in connecticut, and they’re also a new (to me) beer from one of my favorite german breweries, although the recipe for this one probably goes back hundreds of years. this is their special lent beer that’s meant to be rich enough to get the monks through their day. this is about the same color as their marzen, although only half the malt used was smoked, and it is a little bit heavier than the marzen, but the smoke flavor is really delicate and there’s some nice malt flavor underneath that make the finish noticeably sweeter than the marzen. strongly recommended.

#3288 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,450 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:07 AM

Sloop Brewing Hoppy Pils. Pleasantly smooth.

#3289 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:52 AM

the alchemist alena american ipa - 7.7% abv. apparently this is a new version of one of the older alchemist recipes that’s supposed to be focused on the dank side of the hop spectrum. there’s some of that, along with some lime and citrus, along with chive and maybe lemongrass and a little sweet malt. this is really well done, there’s a lot of nuance, everything is balanced and it’s pretty different from the stuff I usually drink.

#3290 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:08 AM

tool 1 ton of... rosehip sour ale brewed with rosehip - brewed at deproef, 8% abv. this is a very pleasant, slightly sour alcoholic beverage. there’s a really well done fruit flavor that’s got a combination of orange marmalade, hibiscus, and rose water that’s really well integrated with the saison yeast spice. you’d expect the yeast notes to be the best part of this, and it is, but the fruit is really well done and this is more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

#3291 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:03 PM

grimm + haand bryhgeriet trylletein nordic double india pale ale with spruce tips & kveik yeast - brewed at grimm in east williamsburg, 8% abv. I’ve more or less quit drinking grimm since they opened their brewery and stopped distributing their beer, partially because their hours mean my kids would have to ride the train for a few hours for me to drink their beer, and in part because I think their hoppy beer isn’t close to what it was when they were brewing in virginia. a recent trip to the brewery confirmed that (and saw that they were selling six week old cans of dipas, which was cause for them to pull their beer from retail stores in the gypsy days), but apart from the raspberry afterimage this was probably the best hoppy beer they had and I’m glad I picked these cans up. it’s a collaboration with a norwegian brewery, which gave them some kind of special yeast that their instagram says is the key to the way this tastes. it’s also got amarillo cryo, spruce tips, citra, and columbus. I don’t know that I’d be able to guess that this has spruce in it but it’s bitter in an odd way, there’s some big spruce and resin flavors with pineapple juice and some cryo buzziness underneath. this is interesting, and far from bad, but I have yet to have hoppy beer from the new brewery that’s as good as the old stuff.

#3292 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:04 AM

other half did I make myself clear? west coast india pale ale - 7.3% abv. this isn’t quite an old school west coast ipa, it’s got citra, mosiac, and galaxy, none of which were available when beers like green flash’s west coast ipa were first made, although citra showed up not that much later yadda yadda. this has the classic pine and grapefruit with a little bit of lychee and peach in the finish, along with some berry and a little bit of tea. this is pretty enjoyable, I hope they make this into a new series.

#3293 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:29 AM

other half stacks on stacks double dry hopped imperial india pale ale - 8.5% abv. this is another one they’ve made a lot, it’s got a typical other half hop bill (mosiac, citra, eldorado) and a nice version of their usual flavors (peach, mango, a little sweetness) that’s very easy to drink. I can’t really say why this stands out against any number of their other beers, but their average beer keeps getting better and better.

#3294 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

Breakside Passionfruit Sour Ale: 4%, in the style of a Berliner weisse— very juicy with typical lacto sour / wheat flavors. It reminds me of a chobani passion fruit yogurt. Fine but not particularly good.
Immortal space traveler.

#3295 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:37 AM

hill farmstead arthur traditional farmstead ale - 6.2% abv. this is another unsurpringly terrific beer from the hill. it was made with an unspecified mixture of american and european hops and their “farmhouse” yeast, which is one of the cleaner brett strains I’ve had. it’s got some citrus, a little of the cilantro/soap brett thing, and a long finish that’s not as dry as usual. this isn’t as otherworldly as the other hill brett beer I had, but it’s still terrific. recommended.

#3296 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,008 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:57 AM

Hill Farmstead!  It never got worse!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3297 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:15 AM

bfm brut de franches sparkling ale brewed in 2015 - 8% abv. this is probably the best example of beer that’s trying to be wine that I’ve ever had, which may not sound like much, but it’s also one of the two or three best sours I can remember too, which is important because I think you have to point to lambics to say that this tastes like beer. this is a blend of three versions of their square root of 225 saison (regular, smoked, jura barrel aged) and some sugar that was aged at mauler, a swiss champagne maker that appears to make blends of other people’s wine, for three years, which is long enough that it no longer tastes anything like the regular base beer. a lot of champagne yeast must have made its way into this during those three years because the basic flavor is sweet, yeasty champagne. the basic tart/sweet balance is perfect, and there’s also a ton of detail here - apricot, yeast spice, white wine, berries, a little bretty funk, and so on. this isn’t really delicate but it’s very nuanced in a way that almost no other beer I’ve had is. strongly recommended plus.

#3298 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,008 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:15 AM

Holy shit.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3299 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:27 AM

I wonder if a wine drinker would think it was interesting.

#3300 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,008 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:27 AM

I’ll let you know if I’m able.
Bar Loser

MF Old