3359 replies to this topic

#3301 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:08 AM

abomination brewing company galaxy wandering into the fog double dry hopped double india pale ale - brewed at dorchester brewing in boston, 8.6% abv. abomination is a relatively new 12% llc brand that used to have a brewery somewhere in pennsylviana and is now a nomadic brewery, which is I guess more deleuzian than being a gypsy or something. anyways this is a really nice ne dipa, there’s the typical soft tropical stuff with a little peach and a small hit of sweetness. this is on par with a lot of the other half stuff I drink, which is great for a beer that’s relatively easy to find. recommended.

#3302 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:32 AM

mikkeller nyc chop shop imperial ipa series - brewed in citifield, 9% abv. this one has mosiac lupulin, citra, simcoe, and halleratu blanc, and has a typical set of slightly bitter orange, melon, and peach that are a little bit sweet but don’t actually taste directly of malt but is a little sweet. I’m not sure what else I’m going to be able to say about this, it’s a perfectly serviceable ne dipa that’s towards the bottom of the hoppy beer I drink.

#3303 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:40 AM

evil twin new york city x root and branch the nomadic approach to reinventing the wheel edition 2 india pale ale brewed with milk sugar with coconut flakes added hops: citra, galaxy, and was-iti - brewed in ridgewood, 8.2% abv. their instagram says that this was made with a bunch of pineapple purée, which is pretty obvious. this is well into milkshake territory, there’s more than a hint of lactose here and it’s really hard to taste any hops under all the coconut. the coconut is really well done and is an obvious pairing with pineapple in a way that’s a lot less interesting than the tired hands milkshakes I’ve had. this a very pleasant yet silly beverage, one that I’m sure my four year old would find quaffable.

#3304 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:04 AM

perrinial arisan ales prodigal 2019 imperial stout - 11.5% abv. apparently this is the base beer for some of their well regarded barrel aged beers with just a little lactose, cocoa, and vanilla in it. this is a classic american imperial stout - it’s huge and rich without being that complex, there’s huge chocolate and fudge notes that give way to a little bit of vanilla and booze before a relatively bitter finish that ends with more milk chocolate. there’s enough roast malt going on that this actually tastes like beer, and I even think there’s a hint of oats at first. (the label says this is an oatmeal stout.) I often wonder if I drink the wrong stouts, but this is well above my average yadda yadda yadda.

#3305 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:41 AM

evil twin dontcha know stout imperial stout - brewed at great south bay, 14% abv. this is the second batch of this, the previous 12% brewing project location made some last year that I missed. this is pretty much exactly what you’d expect it would be - a huge set of roast malt flavors with some apparent alcohol and some other stuff underneath. the other stuff - raisin, molasses, milk chocolate, a bit of coffee and peat - is pretty well done and there’s a lot of nuance here, but the booze gets more noticeable as the beer warms up and this is just as sweet as a lot of the additive laden stouts. this amount of detail makes up for a lot though etc etc etc.

#3306 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:25 AM

lawson’s finest liquids chinookerd india pale ale - made by lawson’s in waitsfield vermont, 6.5% abv. this is another lawson’s beer actually made in vermont, and a lot like the alchemist stuff I had recently it’s not even remotely a north east ipa. it is a suprelative old school ipa though, it’s got the classic pine and citrus you expect from chinook, and the slight hint of malt sweetness in the finish you get in older ipas, but they’re both extremely well done and there’s some peach, orange creamsicle, and dank stuff that’s basically the same flavor profile that you’d get in the older beers, just much better done. I’m not aware of a local brewery that makes old school beer at this level, the recent other half attempts are nice but not really close. I read something on line recently that said that the difference between the best west coast ipas and the stuff with wider distribution was a lot smaller than the gap between the good and bad ne ipas, which seemed right at the time, but this is really terrific and is clearly better than the way I remember the original green flash stuff or the original lagunitas sucks blah blah blah. strongly recommended to anyone looking for a nostalgic ipa.

#3307 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

omnipollo hilma double dry hopped double vanilla crispy fries burger bun imperial india pale ale with natural flavors - brewed at great south bay, 9%. yes, this was really made with french fries and burger buns. no, it doesn’t really taste like that. yes, they bothered to do this but didn’t add bacon. no, this doesn’t really taste like a normal beer. it does taste like and look like a milkshake ipa with vanilla in it, and there are some weird but not unpleasant and do taste a little bit like fries if you read the side of the can. there’s some apparent alcohol too, but not enough to ruin things if you’re looking for a lot of vanilla in your double ipa. my wife, who found the new grimm stuff undrinkable on tap, likes it?

#3308 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:15 AM

sierra nevada estate farmhouse ale wild ale aged in wine barrels - 6.3% abv. I was pretty excited to see this, I’ve only had one other bretty beer from sierra (2011’s brux, a collabs with russian river) and it was excellent. this one was made with ingredients grown on their property in california and aged in wine barrels in the middle of sierra’s peach orchard. this is probably the least bretty wild ale I’ve ever had, there’s a nice amount of malt sweetness, which you’d expect from a beer his shade of amber, some apricot and white wine, followed with a little raisin, a small amount of oak, and a very mild tartness along with a hint of brett. this isn’t nearly as complex as the bfm beer I had recently, but what is here is well put together and pleasant. recommended.

#3309 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:04 PM

Lamplighter Riley: They describe this as a 'barrel-aged mixed fermentation sour'--7.7%. "Aged for 18 months in Hungarian oak barrels." I'm not sure why they choose to foreground the provenance of the barrel oak in the branding—a brief google suggests that Hungarian oak has certain special properties due to the species of trees used, but I have no idea. The beer looks and tastes to me like something between a Flemish red and brown ale. Strong smell of raisins, sugar, cherry. It tastes like sour rye bread, grape, plum. 

Immortal space traveler.

#3310 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:07 PM

apparently breweries sometimes have to pay a fee to advertise the original contents of the barrels they use, maybe they would have had to pay extra to say tokaji barrel aged?

#3311 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:18 AM

that would explain the raisin-y quality

Immortal space traveler.

#3312 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:21 PM

american solera this is what I sound like farmhouse ale - 5.4% abv. american solera is a tulsa, oaklahoma brewery that was started by some of the prairie artisanal ales people that just started distributing to nyc, which is exciting because they’ve won a bunch of awards for making beer that seems like it’s pretty different from what the local brewers I have access to make. meaning that if this is actually the product of a solera process that blends beer of different ages it may be similar to what hudson valley is doing, but they only send kegs down here and I dont really know if that’s accurate etc etc. so this seems like a modern or new englad style pale ale that was made with odd yeast. there’s the soft malt/citra citrus base you get in so many beers combined with a yeasty finish that switches between belgianish saison flavors and some malt sweetness and orange marmalade. this is a lot like a kent falls beer, it’s relatively small and perfectly balanced, but had a lot of nuance that really makes it endlessly quaffable. recommended to adults.

#3313 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:17 AM

mikkellersd beer geek vanilla shake imperial stout with coffee & vanilla - brewed at the former alesmith brewery in san diego, 11% abv. this is a big, rich stout that’s really easy to drink, which is what you’d expect from yet another version of the beer that made mikkeller. (I finally got around to reading most of the beer portion of his brothers book and was surprised to see that even more jesus made evil twin the same way that beer geek breakfast made mikkeller.) this starts with milk chocolate, and then you get the vanilla and coffee and a little bit of molasses, and there’s just enough bitterness to hide some of the booze. it’s more than a little bit sweet and hot, and while I’m not going to bother to look up whether I had the de proef version of this exact beer I think the de proef stuff was better made.

#3314 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:11 PM

evil twin brewing new york city we all know what an empty subway car means pilsner - 5% abv. this is a really, really nice pilsner. theres’s some nice pilsner malt sweetness, a little grass, and just enough citrus to make me think they may have used some of the new german hops. that would usually ruin things for me, but this is really well done and is the kind of thing that I’d buy again and again if they end up making it regularly. I really wish I liked vilet or the two roads lagers this much.

#3315 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:00 AM

evil twin brewing new york city ddh dms dipa double dry hopped double milk sugar double india pale ale hops: eukanot & mosiac - 8% abv. this is another solid release from evil twin nyc, it’s got a slightly abrasive version of the lychee/grapefruit/berry flavors these beers often have, and there’s a little tea and peach in the finish. this is big and rich, of course, but it doesn’t really taste like lactose the way that blah blah blah. mildly recommended.