3414 replies to this topic

#3346 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:22 AM

lawson’s finest liquids the space in between undefined ale - brewed in vermont, 5% abv. apparently low abv ales made with wheat, galaxy, and nelson is undefinable, which is mildly funny given the weirdness that everyone else is pumping out recently. the wheat is a pretty prominent, and this is a little bit older than the usual three week window (I’m very curious about the vermont made lawson’s) and there is a little bit of grass and resin in the finish, but this isn’t at all juicy at this point. maybe it never was?

#3347 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:58 AM

evil twin brewing new york city melvin’s new fashioned blueberry pie filling sour double india pale ale brewed with brown sugar, blueberry purée, dried lavender, maple syrup, and rhubarb hops: mosaic - 9.5% abv. so this one really tastes like blueberry pie filling, although the use of rhubarb and lavender make it a little bit more sophisticated than what I’d actually put in a pie. the blueberry and maple flavors are really well done, and the tart lemon in the finish gives a slight nod to balance. I’m not really sure what to compare this to - it’s more complex and nuanced than maine root’s blueberry soda or the veil beer at the top of this page, there’s hints of pancake dough and even a little bit of hops in the finish, and I can’t say that it’s not enjoyable. the next couple of posts will be about things my kids wouldn’t like.

#3348 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:25 AM

omnipollo tetragrammaton galaxy citra mosaic india pale ale - brewed at great south bay in bayshore, ny, 7.3% abv. this is a solid north east ipa that’s got a juicy version of the hop profile you’d expect from those hops, although citrus does win out over mango in this one. there’s a little bitterness in the finish, along with some melon and berry, and the beer has a really nice body (I’d bet there’s some wheat and oats here but not lactose) which is characteristic of omnipollo’s beer etc etc. this isn’t that far behind the better locals, blah blah.

#3349 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:27 PM

mikkeller brewing san diego ripple effect american india pale ale - 6.8% abv. this is a classic west coast ipa - it’s a clear yellow with a slight orange tint, has a combination of simcoe, amarillo, and chinook, and a demure version of the classic pine and bitter citrus that hints at melon and peach. this is a pretty subtle take on the style, it quietly hits all the notes blah blah blah. recommended to those not suffering from ddh palate fatigue.

#3350 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:21 AM

maine beer company thank you 2019 india pale ale - 6.5% abv. maine is one of my favorite breweries, as I must have said many times, and finding a new beer from them is always exciting. they finally started distributing kegs of their double ipa, dinner, and the three or four that I had a few weeks ago were the most exciting thing that’s happened to me in a bar in a long, long time. this is a much newer recipe and continues the slow drift into ne ipa territory I’ve noticed in their newer beers, I can’t find the hop listing for this one but it’s got a lot of the apricot and pineapple mentioned in the commercial description, along with some lemongrass and maybe tea. there’s no direct malt presence, almost no bitterness, and it’s slightly opaque, which puts it closer to a ne ipa than anything I’ve had from them before. recommended.

#3351 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:42 AM

bissel brothers the substance ale - 6.6% abv. bissel brothers is a portland, me brewery that’s one of the older makers of the northeast ipa. I saw some listicle that put them in the second wave that came after hill farmstead and the alchemist, which seems right to me, and this beer was added to beer advocate in late 2013. it’s got an all american hop bill (falconer’s flight (a blend of a lot of stuff including citra, simcoe, and sorachi ace), centennial, apollo, eureka, and chinook) which give it a classic blend of pine and citrus bitterness with some more delicate stuff underneath, which is the way I describe a lot of things, but this is a better done version of a lot of beers. there’s a truly rare amount of nuance here and it’s got that simple but complex thing that really quaffable beer does, you notice more and more (peach, melon, pineapple, some really nice grain notes) underneath the basic flavor profile the more you have. this is one of the better beers I’ve had in a long, long time, and of the local stuff only the best grimm stuff and maybe mylar bags is at this level, and those beers are all at least 8%. apparently bissel is going to send beer here a few times a year now, and I’ve seen their stuff at every nice beer place I’ve been to over the two weeks (foster’s sundry, gold star) so hopefully this is somewhat easy to find going forward. strongly recommended.

#3352 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:55 PM

the veil eternal slumber blend of imperial stouts aged in muscatel barrels used to finish whiskey, apple brandy barrels, maple bourbon barrels, & cognac barrels conditioned on coconut - 12% abv. this is the last veil beer left over from their recent visit to other half, I’ll review one of the collaborations made while they were here tonight. there’s really a lot going on here, the muscatel and apple brandy come through pretty clearly, and the sweetness that follows has hints of fig, maple, coconut, chocolate, molasses, and a small amount of alcohol that doesn’t really taste like beer, although I guess the mouthful is thick enough that you could rule out any of the other candidates. this is a really nice tasting beverage, it’s rich and complex, the small hit of bitterness in the finish really helps to balance things, it never tastes like a third rate version of one the barrels previous contents, and so on. this is a great example of barrel aging and is very light for this kind of beer.

#3353 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:36 PM

anchorage brewing company the ghosts in their eyes brett ipa brett ipa brewed with citra and galaxy hops, fermented in oak tanks with a belgian yeast and two strains of brettanomyces, dry hopped with citra and galaxy hops. bottle conditioned for natural carbonation. enjoy... - batch #1 october 2017, 8% abv. these beers, which are always among my favorite brett beers, never show up anywhere near fresh, but do they really need to? I’m sure this was different when it was new, but the basic set of mango, pineapple, and bitter citrus you expect from those hops are still here, along with some peach, apricot, rose water, brett, and a lot of other things. this is a lot better than I expected it to be, there’s less oak and yeast than you typically find in their beers, and I really don’t think you can get better bretty beer in nyc. strongly recommended.

#3354 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:40 AM

jolly pumpkin artisan ales citrus commander ale brewed with grapefruit & orange peel, chestnuts, & dried texas citrus a collaboration ale - bottled 1/2018, 7.7% abv. this is a collaboration with austin’s jester king, which is a really well regarded brewery that’s known for their sours. they send a small amount of beer to nyc, but I’ve never had any, and therefore can’t say whether this is like their stuff. it’s not like the typical jolly pumpkin stuff, which almost always has distinctive brett notes. those are here, but they’re underneath some bitterness and sweet malt notes. this is very malty for a sour, there’s a nice mixture of caramel malt and chestnuts that gives way to lime and grapefruit before the brett finally shows in the finish. this isn’t that tart, but the transition from the malt notes is odd and this isn’t well put together the way the jolly pumpkin stuff usually is, even if there’s the usual amount of detail blah blah.

#3355 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:36 AM

other half x the veil big brekkie sando double dry hopped imperial india pale ale - 8% abv. this is one of at least two beers the veil made when they visited ny last month, I didn’t pick up the fruited sour but this is a lot like any number of the good oh beers. as the name suggests it’s got some anitpodean hops (nelson, galaxy) along with the regular and cryo versions of citra. the end result is very much like any number of good other half ipas, there’s a juicy mixture of tropical fruit and peach, etc etc etc.

#3356 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:02 AM

nightmare brewing company exposure imperial india pale ale with cryo mosaic and cryo citra - brewed and canned at dorchester brewing in boston, MA for nightmare brewing, 10% abv. this is from the second or third batch of nightmare beers (they released the first three beers twice) and they’ve already shifted from great south bay to dorchester, which may explain why this isn’t as good as the previous tipa, which had a nice combination of west coast malt and a modern hop profile. this has a similar sort of thing going on, there’s a lot of sweet malt here, and there’s a slightly buzzy version of the west coast ipa orange marmalade and resin, along with some mango and a little bit of lychee, which are quickly buried under a ton of cryo bitterness. so this is very much the same kind of beer as the previous beer, just with a lot less finesse, which is maybe what you get with cryo hops.

eta: this is definitely one of the beers that gets better as you drink more of it.

#3357 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:44 AM

I always wonder whether that's a reflection on the beer/wine or the drinker.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3358 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:55 AM

other half tremendous cream imperial oat cream india pale ale - 10% abv. this is another other half triple ipa, it’s got oats and a hint of lactose, is the larger version of a beer I’ve never had, I think this is the second batch of a beer they introduced last christmas, and has a very similar hop bill to the beer above it. it’s got citra, mosaic, idaho 7, and the cryo version of the first two hops. this is a much, much better beer than the one above it, it’s got a similar mix of orange and mango, along with some of the weird lychee and bubble tea that OH gets from idaho 7, along with more sweetness. it’s also a lot juicer and more modern, so my preference may come down to style, but I do think that OH has really mastered the TIPA blah blah blah. recommended.

#3359 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

Italian hipster beer! http://www.misterb.beer/bestia/

Well made IPA, crisp and hoppy with the typical grapefruit note. Cool packaging as well...
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#3360 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:35 AM

evil twin brewing new york city x trillium brewing company corner of george street and shawmut road dry hopped india pale ale hops: columbus and citra - 7.2% abv. trillium is one of the older ne ipa purveyors and one of the first to really ramp up production. some pretty serious allegations about their labor practices surfaced last winter, and I’m not sure I’d buy their beer, but I assume the money stays in evil twins hands with these collabs. this one is mostly citra, the website says that the whirlpool and dry hopping is all citra, and there’s a really nice set of the usual citra flavors that’s a little more citrusy than usual before it gives way to a lot of detailed tropical fruit. the lychee in the commercial description is dead on, and there’s some tangerine, with some melon or cantaloupe underneath, and there’s some pine in the very slightly bitter finish. there’s a lot of places than make pretty good versions of this kind of beer, this is one of the better ones I’ve had in a while. recommended.