3379 replies to this topic

#3361 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

other half mash tun time machine west coast imperial india pale ale - 8% abv. other half has to be the last capable excellent brewery I know, they knocked a slightly lower abv version of this out of the park a few months ago, and their double ipas are usually better than their singles, but this is pretty sweet and the hop flavors aren’t, there’s some bitter apple juice and some weird sweetness that’s not what you get in a real west coast blah blah. this is the worst beer I’ve had from them in some time.

#3362 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:06 AM

verdant brewing company every day is a different dose american wheat beer - 6% abv. verdant is an english brewery from falmouth in southwest england. they’re participating in this weekends ipa festival, I bought these cans at other half during a tap takeover earlier in the week. this isn’t really an american style wheat beer, it’s actually a pretty nice north east ipa that’s a lot drier than the other half stuff. it’s got chinook, citra, simcoe, and idaho 7, which is typical of new american beer, and there’s some nice orange concentrate and peach, with a little bit of lychee and maybe wheat in the finish. this is a very nice beer, and it’s just different enough from what the locals make, etc etc.

#3363 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:10 AM

trve brewing cosmic crypt farmhouse pale ale - 5.6% abv. trve is a denver brewery that claims to be the most metal brewery around, which maybe what prevents them from giving any more information about this, other than the fact it’s a part of their year round line up. this is an ideal summer quaffer, it’s got some nice malt notes, a hint of hops, and some nice yeast notes that are a little belgian and a little bretty. this is a nice combination of the basic beer flavors and well done yeast notes. recommended.

#3364 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:20 AM

evil twin brewing new york city x other half creme de la creme double dry hopped triple india pale ale brewed with milk sugar hops: galaxy, mosaic, and citra - 10% abv. this is the kind of beer that other half has been knocking out of the park for the last year and a half or so, but this isn’t as big and rich as you’d expect an oh beer with this abv and lactose to be. there’s a theory going around a small corner of the internet that says that the current crop of galaxy hops is off and doesn’t lead to the kind of juicy beers that previous crops have, which may be what’s happening here. there’s more bitterness than you’d expect from either brewery, and there’s not that much detail under all the pine and mango, and this is definitely one of those ipa collaborations that seem like less than the sum of it’s parts, for whatever reason.

#3365 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:47 AM

interboro x robertas pes possible? (this should start with an inverted question mark, but that doesn’t seem possible) west coast india pale ale - 7% abv. the instagram post that announced this one made it irresistible to me, it’s got actual caramel malt on top of the mix of, columbus, citra, and halleratau blanc. the beer isn’t that much better than the bad other half attempt at the same thing from a week or two ago, the hops are off and taste like apple juice even if the hops have the requisite pop of sweetness.

#3366 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:31 AM

modern times double dry hopped timewave zero double india pale ale - brewed in san diego CA, 8.5% abv. modern times is southern californian brewery that sends it’s core set of beers here occasionally, this is one of the small batch ne style ipas that usually stays on the west coast. these cans were sold at other half, who seem to have adopted their multiple brewpubs at various locations model for expansion, which seems to have gone well for modern times. a friend just sent me a willamette weekly piece that slams the portland, orgegon mikkeller popup, in part by noting that modern times absurdly expensive 7.50 pints are actually worth it. this is dead in the middle of the hundreds of dollar an ounce ne dipas that are ubiquitous here, it’s bright and juicy, with lots of bitter citrus, a hint of mango, and enough sweetness that the fruit seems carmelized. it’s fun that other half sells all these out of market beers as a part of their festivals, but it doesn’t do much to dispel the idea that there’s a massive swath of these beers that are more or less identical, and it may actually be true that other half is towards the top of that heap, blah blah blah.

#3367 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:23 AM

nightmare brewing flayed imperial oat india pale ale - brewed at dorchester brewing, 9.6% abv. nightmare is a 12% llc brand run by one of the sand city brewers. their initial releases were made at great south bay, which is where a lot of the 12% brands make their best beer, but the second set was made at the less successful dorchester brewing in boston and wasn’t nearly as good as the earlier beer. this one follows the pattern, it’s all bitter citrus with anything else, and is one of the worst beers I’ve had in some time.

#3368 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

modern times monster’s park imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels blackberry cobbler edition - 14.2% abv. this is their barrel aged imperial stout with blackberries, vanilla, and cinnamon added. this is remarkably easy to drink for the abv. the blackberry and vanilla have a really nice set of detailed bourbon and roast flavors under them, and there’s not enough cinnamon in the finish to hide the apparent alcohol. I guess the abv and adjuncts make this a party stout, but this comes off like a slightly hot imperial stout instead of the nut driven weirdness that a lot of the OH beers with this abv are. recommended to bozos.

#3369 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:39 AM

to ol rye’ght on rye saison aged on pinot blanc barrels - brewed at de proef, 9% abv. this is still good for another two months according to the date on the cap, but this is one case where the brett isn’t magical enough to make up for the shape the malt notes are in. there’s just enough here to make me think it was a lot better at some point, and so on.

#3370 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:42 AM

other half broccoli kong imperial india pale ale - 8% abv. this is one of the two beers other half made for their recent ipa festival that was offered to non-attendees, and since I didn’t pick up the stout this is the only one I’ll post about. other half always seems to release their better beers at these events (several anniversary beers have been my favorites at the time) and this is definitely one of the better ones I’ve had in a while, it’s got the soft hop flavors of a good ne ipa, and is juicy enough that my wife, who is allergic to pineapple, asked me if it was made with pineapple as soon as I opened the can. it’s got mosiac, citra, simcoe, nelson, and simcoe cryo, which doesn’t give it much in common with broccoli, and while it’s a lot softer than most OH beers the juice (pineapple, peach, tangerine) and there’s some of their distinctive bitterness in the finish. this is one of the better beers from OH in a while blah blah blah.

#3371 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,564 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:45 PM

KCBC Lemonberry Fairy is going to be my own personal Light Quaff Of The Summer.

Get it at Mekelburg’s!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3372 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:30 AM

interboro x root & branch berliner style with blueberries, lemons, and marshmallows - brewed at interboro, 5.5% abv, crowler pour. yes, this is a silly one, but I wanted something light, and root and branch rules, so... this is a light purple, not that carbonated, and has a very easy to drink combination of wheat and blueberry, and then some very mildly tart lemon and some sweetness that tastes like marshmallows, and there’s a slight off note in somewhere in the otherwise pleasant finish and this is pretty exactly the way you’d expect it to be.

#3373 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:44 AM

omnipollo x monkish x trillium x other half x cellarmaker x o/o x strigbergets x anchorage x crooked stave x the veil x equilibrium omnipolloscope #5 fatamosiacddhdreamatomicdobishredder triple india pale ale - brewed at other half, 10% abv. this was released as part of a worldwide collaboration that had around thirty breweries making their version of one of five beers and releasing them at the same time as they offered the other four on tap. other half made a version of the big ipa of course, and the whole thing was so confusing that the staff at other half didn’t know where the two other beers they still had by the time I got over there were made. the purple sour was fine, and the low abv sour they were serving from a slurpee machine was a lot better than the other omnipollo beer (or any beer I guess) I’ve had from a slurpee machine. anyways... this is a really nice modern triple ipa that has a great combination of citrus, tropical fruit, and sweetness, (orange, tangerine, mango, vanilla, papaya, etc) that’s really rich and juicy in a way that other half usually has to use lactose to pull off. this is far from the revelation that some of their early beers were, and I can’t believe that omnipollo is younger than finback and other half (and my son), blah blah, but this is actually towards the top of the heap of the many, many similar beers I’ve had over the last few years.

#3374 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:33 AM

evil twin how cool is this - a mariachi band in the subway car double dry hopped double india pale ale hops: citra, eukanot, and simcoe - 8% abv. this is another well made ne ipa from etny, it’s got some soft pine (if that makes sense), slightly bitter peach, melon, apricot, and as many other ways of describing bitter stone fruit that I can’t think of. this isn’t that big for 8%, and it’s a little bit more bitter than the usual ne ipa, blah blah blah. mildly recommended.

#3375 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:36 AM

grimm 1st anniversary triple india pale ale - 11% abv. this was released to celebrate the year anniversary of the opening of their own brewery, which also marks the first anniversary of what seems to me to be an insane plummet of the quality of their hoppy beer. I’d like to be wrong about that, but this has a lot of apparent alcohol and more bitterness than the first year or two of their sterling releases. this was triple dry hopped with mosiac, cashmere, and nelson, and there’s a sharp version of the peach/tropical fruit etc flavor profile that a lot of things have. apparently the problem is that grimm expanded by using much larger tanks while other half expanded by using a lot more of the same sized systems. whether or not that’s true it’s hard to believe how much the quality of each brewery beers has changed over the last year blah blah blah.