3436 replies to this topic

#3406 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

Brewed in Belgium ... bought in Asturias ... emptied in Galicia ... worked for me ...

3K5njE0.jpg

Perfect post-sunset (9.36pm approximately) from the room's terrace ...

ZmmYwhQ.jpg

So I bought these guys ... I'm under the impression that they are sours ... I don't really drink sours mainly because I don't think I like sours ... but I'm an open-minded fellow and willing to try again

feFO6qp.jpg

In EXTREMELY simplified terms (one sentence max per), can you classify them if they are very different from each other and in what order my delicate, virgin palate might want to proceed

And what nibbles might work best with them ... for example among my current, limited supplies ...

Aj9PEI0.jpg

(The other full cases of wines that I'm traveling with will remain under wraps ... and yes, it's all kinda insane, I know I know

I suffer terribly from FORO* so I bought more supplies just in case ...

c3B7ne7.jpg

Juncal rocks ! There's a seasonal store open during the summer in Sanxenxo that is excellent and the flagship is located in Pontevedra. Excellent Galicians wines at excellent prices too !

Spoke with the owner who was working in Sanxenxo ... he's willing to give very good pricing if buying in quantities of 24 36 48 60 ... he can ship to Paris ... guess what I'm thinking ...

* Fear of Running out

#3407 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

those are sours - more than 2L of them would be very hard on most people’s stomach and would be a more than a bit too much.

I think cheese is the best pairing with that kind of beer, maybe some ham too.

all the combinations have their merits, I would do one 3f and one de ranke per sitting.

3f cuvee is a blend of young lambics, the kreik is lambic with cherries, and the de ranke beers are both blends of lambics with other types of sour beer, and again the kriek has cherries in it.

lambics are open fermented ales from belgian, geuze (what those are) are blends of lambic, but brett is the word of the day. none of those beers will have much in common with the lacto fermented fruited sours that are all over the place in the us.

#3408 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

trillium double dry hopped congress street india pale ale 7.2% abv. so trillium is a boston brewery that doesn’t really distribute, I finally made it up there this week only to find that not only will other half will be selling their beer this weekend but they’ll have the exact same cans that I picked at random out of half a dozen choices. anyways... this is the ddh version of one of their flagship beers and has always exciting galaxy and columbus, a much older hop you see in these kind of beers every so often. this is a lot more bitter than the usual be ipa, and the combination of bitterness, sweetness that doesn’t really taste like malt, and a lot of the weird, non juicy parts of the galaxy flavor profile name this very distinctive and very easy to drink. recommended.

#3409 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:25 AM

evil twin brewing even more tuxedo t-shirt jesus imperial stout brewed with milk sugar and with vanilla and coffee added aged on bourbon maple syrup barrels - brewed at westbrook, 13% abv. the westbrook brewed barrel aged evil twin stouts are usually terrific, and I liked this as much as I thought I would despite the much lower price than previous versions. this is pretty well done, there’s almost no booze, the barrel flavors are well integrated with the flavors of the base beer, and it’s not too sweet. the label makes clear that this is a version of even more jcw, the version of even more jesus that uses the same three adjuncts in a tribute to the trillium guy. the vanilla and the lactose are probably the dominant flavors at first, but they give way to a nice mixture of bourbon, maple, and the weird umami thing that even more jesus has, with a lot of rich chocolate and cinnamon notes underneath. the list of adjuncts seems like a pretty easy way to make a cloying stout, but this is weirder than I thought it would be and it doesn’t taste like a candy bar in a glass or whatever. mildly recommended.

#3410 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:27 AM

They must have known Mongo was coming to New York.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3411 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:58 AM

there are some of the very top tier of european beers on those shelves, and while theirs not ipas they’re not at all like stouts either. age isn’t a factor for these beers and can be a positive if they’ve been kept cold.

the de ranke stuff ... are some of my favorite belgians, and the xx bitter (small green bottle w/o wrapper) is actually an ipa, although the hops they use are nothing like the currently fashionable american stuff. that beer ages well but is really fantastic fresh.

the bottles with the large 3s on them in the 7th picture are geuzes and lambics from drei fontenien, which is one of the two or three best breweries of it’s kind in the world and I strongly recommend their stuff, even though it’s not what you’ve asked for. the cuvée gaston and the kriek are both phenomenal, but I can’t imagine them releasing a bad beer.

there’s a lot of other good stuff on that shelf, but they’re mostly sours or wild ales. I really liked the black and yellow BFM bottle, and the de dolle beers at the top of the shelf are good too, as is the anchorage white ipa (actually an extremely bretty sour) that’s to the right of the finback beer is one of my favorite wild ales but that’s bretty enough to alter your palate for a few hours.

I would definitely buy those sierra bottles if I was there, but aged barelywines are an acquired taste and are probably too close to stouts for you.

I asked to buy one of those sierra bottles. They told me that I had to buy the whole six-pack and explained why. This wasn't a complicated decision for me ... if YOU'RE saying it's an acquired taste then the risk level for ME to buy them (and like them) is going to be VERY high ... and I didn't need even more liquid refreshment at this point

3f cuvee is a blend of young lambics, the kreik is lambic with cherries, and the de ranke beers are both blends of lambics with other types of sour beer, and again the kriek has cherries in it.

lambics are open fermented ales from belgian, geuze (what those are) are blends of lambic, but brett is the word of the day. none of those beers will have much in common with the lacto fermented fruited sours that are all over the place in the us.

Before I give feedback re the 3 font C and the Kriek de Ranke that we drank with those cheeses, since these beers seem to be some of your favorites, I would enjoy hearing why you like them and how they taste to you ... maybe there are already tasting notes out there for how they taste to you (I didn't attempt a search) but probably not for the "why you like them" aspect.

Hence your feedback won't be colored at all by my comments (which surely won't be coming today, your time, as it's crazy late for me).

And no rush or timeliness needed on your feedback ... whenever convenient ...

#3412 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:58 AM

so I realize this wasn’t explicitly stated but when I think of de ranke I mean the bitter xxx and the pale ale, I’ve never had their kriek and beermenus doesn’t list it in nyc.

the 3F beer is one of the better examples of a lambic I’ve ever had - I really like the combination of tart, weird fruit and all that brett, and it’s as well put together as anything except for the cantillion stuff, and I’ve probably everyone I’ve seen in the US. (whether or not that’s representative of what’s in belgium I can’t say, but a friend who lived there says the better stuff makes it over here, albeit at high prices. he also said the cantillion stuff isn’t any easier to find over there.)

I’m sorry if I lead you astray, but if you didn’t like that I think you can safely say that lambics aren’t for you.

#3413 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:32 AM

evil twin new york city x hudson valley brewery the future is here and everything must contain extra milk sugar and three varietals of fruit sour triple india pale ale brewed with milk sugar, lime, dragon fruit and watermelon hops: citra, motueka - 10.27% abv, brewed at evil twin in queens. hudson valley is a beacon, ny brewery that’s about three years old, although I think the same people were running the brewery at bacchus, another upstate brewery that was around about five years ago IIRC. apparently all the hudson beers are a blend of new beers brewed for the occasion and small amount of sour beer they’ve been aging forever. I’ve had really mixed experiences of their stuff on tap, some of it has been pretty odd putting, some of it so so, and I have had one or two (a dipa with fruit and tea) that blew me away. part of my apathy may be that the only place that makes that kind of beer that I can remotely stand is the very small amount of tired hands that I find in tap. the et people said that this isn’t a blend, and it doesn’t taste like brett to me, so what you have is a high abv version of the ubiquitous fruited kettle sour. the fruit notes taste like artificial cherry and lime with some weird undertones of tropical fruit and maybe the barest hint of citra in the finish. this is tart in a pleasant but simple way, is a lovely shade of clear red, and really isn’t for me.

tl/dr? meh.

#3414 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:37 AM

evil twin I’m loving new york city! but how do you get to queens? double dry hopped double india pale ale hops: nelson and galaxy - 8.5% abv. I guess this one kind of looks like it tastes - it’s the deep orange color of the older, maltier double ipas, but it’s also opaque but not hazy. it’s got a weird combination of malt and softish tropical fruit that has some nice melon and maybe lychee stuff here but this is the second disappointing beer from this release blah blah blah...

#3415 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:54 AM

I love it when I finish a wine post and then go back on the board and find your new beer post.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3416 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:26 AM

mikkeller spontanframboos sour ale brewed with raspberries and aged in oak barrels - brewed at de proef, 7.7% abv. this series is probably the least consistent series from mikkeller, and since they don’t really give out any information about their beer I don’t know whether they do the same thing each time or not, but whatever they do or don’t do different some of them are really out there and some of them aren’t that different from the almost soda like lindeman’s beers. this is very much at the latter end of that spectrum. it’s got big, clean, sweet raspberry notes that are more like raspberry candy than the actual fruit. there’s some salty bitterness in the finish, which I guess gives it the odd twist you expect from mikkeller, but this isn’t that interesting and so on.

#3417 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:16 AM

omnipollo hypnopampa imperial stout brewed with marshmallows & madagascar vanilla - brewed at two roads, 11% abv. this is pretty much as described- there’s a really rich set of dark chocolate notes, followed by fudge, the vanilla, some roasted coffee notes, molasses, and a very small bit of apparent alcohol. I don’t really taste the marshmallows, which I often find hard to pick out, but there’s a well put together and almost subtle set of the usual imperial stout flavors. this is pretty easy to drink, and is pretty refined for this kind of beer. this isn’t anywhere near as good as the stouts they make in england that dominated the tap takeover they had at torst, but it’s relatively cheap and you buy it here. recommended.

#3418 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

KAÑABIKAÑA Craft Beer Shop ... new place in the Bastard ... more beer shop than beer bar

AaronS, check out those bottles and brown bags to go in the final pic ... pretty cool ! or is that a totally common thing nowadays ?

I owe you a sour response ... I know that ... it's in the FIFO queue or is that queue LIFO ... hmmmm ... in the interim, how about a quick simple response to the following ... minimal effort needed ... and here are the rules ...

We shall stick to IPAs or things pretty close to IPAs, very low priority to triples and low to doubles, but I am open-minded on doubles if you feel strongly and you can educate me of the errors of my way by leaning low-alcohol if so desired.

Pick two ... three max ... but skip the big 3 !

Need response in next 4 hours ... if not possible then don't need response til next year.

No big description needed ... a few words is fine if appropriate ... but words are never rejected

By the way, that Pick guideline hints at my sour response, but you knew that already, of course

c11Z92X.jpg

Kgz1ioi.jpg

dxe8Ivk.jpg

nwEAVRx.jpg

3BXlgWp.jpg

fzt4EFJ.jpg

KqZV7nD.jpg

jKB6ZVg.jpg

vblkWcN.jpg

AOY4q6S.jpg

#3419 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

I don’t know what 99% of that stuff is. I’ve had a handful of naparbier (6th picture down) beers that were nice american style ipas and pale ales, but the other things I recognize are all belgian stuff you probably don’t want.

the ayinger beers they have on tap are excellent, but again they’re not ipas.

garage gets invited to the american ipa festivals but I’ve never had their beer.

the yellow and red cans under the naparbeer look familiar too, but I can’t place them.

#3420 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:44 PM

plenty for you to discover then !