3461 replies to this topic

#3436 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:50 PM

westbrook brewing co. edmund’s oast brewing there’s better than a nice pair of cam pants “blonde barleywine style ale with peanut butter, lactose, and vanilla added” - brewed at westbrook, 10% abv. barleywines, which used to be a staple of american craft beer, are having a little bit of a resurgence, although they mostly seem to be vehicles for adjuncts, which is definitely all that’s going on here. there’s a small amount of malt at first and an even smaller amount of c hops in the finish, but this more or less tastes like a peanut butter and vanilla wafer in a glass. I guess this is the obvious successor to the pastry stout, whose roasted malt has an unfortunate habit of tasting like beer, while this is pretty close to creme soda mixed with the dominican malt sodas I never learned to like blah blah blah. this is the worst beer I’ve had in a long time.

i don't even drink beer anymore and these trends are probably why.

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#3437 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:12 AM

trve brewing red chaos mixed culture golden ale aged on colorado montmorency cherries - 6% abv. trve is a denver brewery that prides itself on being extremely metal, but there’s nothing really extreme about this and the packaging is actually more sophisticated than most metal artwork. this has a great combination of tart cherry juice and some pretty subtle bretty notes, and it tastes like it spent time in white wine barrels, which it did, as well as a welcome hint of sweetness. there’s a really nice combination of simplicity and detail here, and this is a much better beer than the nice but simple cans I had over the summer. recommended.

#3438 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:41 AM

bells brewing double two hearted ale double american ipa - 11% abv. this is a real old school hop bomb - it’s got huge pine and restin notes that have almost no citrus to them at first, but the huge amount of malt sweetness that shows up at the end has a little bit of melon and the expected grapefruit to it. this is a perfect example of what the guy from paste calls a “fruitcake” dipa and while there’s a considerable amount of apparent alcohol here, the malt notes are well done enough that I find this pretty compelling and I’m glad I bought it. part of the appeal is nostalgia, of course, and it’s pretty different from what I normally drink, blah blah blah. recommended to someone looking for old school beer.

#3439 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

mikkeller nyc festbier german-style festbier lager - 6.4% abv. this is a much lighter color than the copper orange fest beers you usually see in the us, which is presumably why it’s called a german style festbier. this is about as good as lagers get around here, there’s a really nice combination of honeyed malt notes, light citrus, and some really well done apple and clove in the finish, along with a small hit of noble hops. this is a pretty good start to the set of four or five fest beers I’ll have this year.

#3440 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:17 AM

mikkeller nyc walkman walks german-style marzen lager - 4.7% abv. this one is the color of the fest beers we’re used to in the us, so my surmise about the name above must be incorrect, but their instagram says it’s munich style and I won’t mention that the abv is too low to make this a fest beer. this is just as well made as the beer above it, if a lot maltier. there’s a really delicate set of the kind of caramel and dried fruit notes you’d get in a quad, followed by some doughy yeast notes and some sweetness. this and the beer above it are as good as any locally made lagers I’ve had yadda yadda yadda. recommended.

#3441 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:26 AM

Do you know Brewski in Sweden ?

If so, tell all ... cuz he’s my new best friend

And how about Benchwarmers?

These guys are a lot of fun to hang out and drink with !

#3442 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:09 AM

brewski used to distribute here a long time ago IIRC but I don’t remember their beer and I’ve never heard of benchwarmers.

eta: I don’t recall correctly because I’ve confused brewski with something else.

#3443 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

alesmifh aleschmidt oktoberfest german-style marzen lager - 5.5% abv. this is about the same color as the mikkeller beer above it, and has the excellent malt notes you’d expect from alesmith. there’s a really nice set of bread, caramel, and maybe banana flavors with a nice amount of sweetness underneath. this is a little bit more sophisticated than some of the alesmith stuff, or maybe I’m just really loving oktoberfest beers right now.

#3444 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:47 AM

hofstetten original hochzeitsbier von 1810 - 6.3% abv. this is one of b united’s tank container canning project releases - the beer was put in a climate conditioned tank in austria, shipped to connecticut, and canned about two weeks ago. I don’t think I’ve come across this almost 800 year old brewery before, I haven’t seen it at the handful of places that carry the rest of b united’s euro craft portfolio or the german restaurants that don’t really carry expensive beer... apparently this is inspired by the original festbeers served back in 1810. this has an almost soft version of the typical malty fest beers you get in the us - bready caramel with a mellow sweetness and a little bit of noble hop spice in the finish. this is, unsurprisingly, the best of the four fest beers I’ve had this year. recommended.

#3445 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:03 AM

stillwater x hoof hearted fruit (and hops) on the bottom a rotationally-hopped sour india pale ale with strawberry, banana, milk sugar, yogurt & vanilla extract - brewed at two roads, 6% abv. why do I keep buying these stupid beers? the breweries I like keep on making them, for one, and I picked these up the same day as the great northern tap take over at other half where I arrived too late to buy cans but was able to have some enjoyable examples of this kind of beer on draft. this isn’t at that level, but it is enjoyable, in part because it actually tastes like hops. it’s mildly tart, reasonably sweet, and I’d put the hops behind the vanilla but ahead of the fruit in terms of apparent sweetness. recommended to anyone looking to drink stupid beer without waiting in line.

#3446 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:14 AM

mikkeller nyc guava mikkellerita sour imperial india pale ale brewed with salt, lime, and guava - 8% abv. this is exactly as described, doesn’t taste like hops, and is pretty enjoyable. shoot me?

#3447 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:53 AM

other half hop showers double dry hopped india pale ale dry hopped w/mosaic & vic secret - 7.4% abv. a beer called hop showers has been a part of the OH lineup from the very beginning, it was one of the original screen printed cans and I think I remember having it on tap before they started canning. that was before they really nailed the ne style ipa, but they’ve been releasing a rotationally dry hopped version that keeps the original’s citra and amarillo for a while now. I haven’t tried it before, which seems unfortunate because this one of the best sub 8% beers I’ve had from them and really tastes like their newer stuff. it’s really juicy, has a nice combination of orange, mango, and the sharp peach you usually get with vic secret, with some lychee and resin in the finish. this is really rich for a ne ipa and seems like it should have a higher abv, mostly because it tastes like the rest of their stuff. recommended.

#3448 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:49 AM

to ol mine is bigger than yours barley wine-style ale - brewed at de proef, 12.5% abv. I had some of this release about a year ago and bought more to have on my birthday, and while I don’t know how old this is it’s definitely drinking well and I wish I had a cellar full of stuff like this, although when I bought this I didn’t realize that good barley wines, which were already disappearing, would be so hard to find. I don’t know how to read the code on these caps and don’t know how old they are, but to ol hasn’t used this kind of label in a long time and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is from 2012, which is when the first reviews on beer advocate were posted. apparently this was made with citra, simcoe, and columbus, which are long gone, and some candi sugar, which is still there, although it’s not the dominant flavor at this point. what is here is a terrific example of well aged malt - the sweet mixture of fig, toffee, and orange marmalade has real depth to it even if it’s basically pretty simple. there’s no apparent alcohol at all at this point, and this is a great example of how smooth older beer can be. to ol often makes weird beer, and I’m sure the hops they used made this non traditional at some point, but this is as good as any english prize ale I can remember. this is probably my favorite style at this point, so insert extra hyperbole, blah blah blah, and I really wish I knew where to get more beer like this. strongly recommended.

#3449 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 04:32 AM

the veil brewing company @_natureboi @_natureboi double dry hopped double india pale ale - 8.5% abv. have you heard of the veil? they’re one of three richmond brewers that make cool beer, and I have some of it even though they don’t distribute it here! the guy used to work at hill farmstead and cantillion, and their packaging is better than triple crossing or the answer! all sarcasm aside from what I can tell I like their beer a lot, and this seems slightly different from what other half would do with the same ingredients (rolled oats, citra, and motueka). it’s got the same combination of tangerine and bitter pau pau that you’d expect, and there’s a slightly creamy mouthfeel. I was gonna say that this is a little bit too bitter to be an other half beer, but it gets sweeter as I get used to it... distinguishing between these beers is getting harder and harder, and this is definitely a good one, and the can doesn’t say other half.... recommended.

#3450 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 04:19 AM

the veil brewing company in collaboration with cloudwater brewing co. firecracker double india pale with oats and rice conditioned on lychee - 8.5% abv. the fruited beers I’ve had from the veil have been pretty good, and I also like the cloudwater stuff I’ve had, so... this has a pretty full mouthfeel, and tastes like hops (citra? they don’t say) and actual lychee juice, with some bitterness underneath and a weird grainy finish that doesn’t taste like the other beers made with rice that I’ve come across. this is pretty bitter for a new style ipa, hence the name I guess, and it doesn’t taste like a fruit beer to me, which is probably good? blah blah blah....