3319 replies to this topic

#46 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:37 AM

i have begun my investigation of the schell brewery's lineup. purchased a 6 beer sampler today. first up: the caramel bock. inoffensive, but i will not be buying a 6pk of this. nice colour, nice head (not much lacing), but taste that lasts as long as it takes to swallow. sort of like a dark beer for people who are embarassed about drinking transparent flavour-free beers. might be good with a burger though.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#47 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:36 AM

i cut and paste my beer advocate review of schell's firebrick "vienna-style amber lager":

while it is an improvement on the first--the caramel bock--it too is a bit of a cipher: looks good (amber-red in a pint glass, with a very quickly dissipating head), has a better aroma than the bock, but on the palate it is a bit of a nothing. nothing complex about the flavours or the finish. nice mouthfeel and quite drinkable but completely middle of the road. i don't know much about vienna style lagers, which this purports to be, so can't say if it is a good example of the style. i would drink it again, but i would not buy it to stock at home.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#48 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:37 AM

My favorite of the Schell's is the "original". An American lager with a bit of sweetness but more body than base-level beers from the big breweries. I tend to drink it fast and not think about it too much. Now that I think about it, I don't know the last time I bought some for the fridge. I tend to buy Point when I'm in the mood for the classic American lager.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#49 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

my schell's experience is on a marked upswing. three very nice beers from the sampler pack included:

their pilsener (lots of roast malt, with a slight hoppy edge)

their zommerfest, a very serviceable refresher with complexities not found in mass market analogues

and finally, their maifest--apparently, the maifest or maibock style is a pale version of the more traditional bock (i was confused by the discrepancy between the golden colour and the bock billing on the bottle, and looked it up). lots of floral, hoppy aroma but not obnoxiously hoppy in the mouth. very drinkable, and dangerously so at 7% abv. holds its thin head for quite a while.

~homer simpson

#50 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:40 AM

schell's pale ale is pretty good too. wonderful floral, hoppy aroma, but not very complex on the palate. pronounced bitterness but not much of a finish. but that might change as it warms up a little in the glass.

~homer simpson

#51 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:58 AM

I bought a six pack of Abita's Pecan Harvest Ale this week. I'm not sure what I expected from a beer flavored with Louisiana pecans, but this beer doesn't seem any different from any other Abita beer.

It's OK, but if I didn't know it's flavored with pecans, I wouldn't be able to tell from this brew...
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#52 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:15 AM

someone brought a gazillion-pack of something called leinenkugel's to our house for dinner. i have been disposing of it with football. the pride of chippewa falls, where they apparently have little to be proud of. perhaps marginally more flavorful than bud.

have also purchased a six-pack of cream stout made by an outfit named brau bros., who hail from a minnesota town of 70 people. will report once it has been consumed.

~homer simpson

#53 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:00 AM

Leinenkugel's is now a Miller product and I'm not sure the Original is brewed in Chippewa Falls anymore.

Regardless, in it's prime Leinie's was really as you described it: light and drinkable, preferably refrigerator cold. Same as the other classic light lagers from Wisconsin that used corn in addition to the malt such as Point, Blatz, Pabst, Huber, Rhinelander, Old Style, Miller High Life, Gettleman, etc. The beers that men used to take to work in their lunch pails.

#54 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:07 PM

Chimay (blue label) - worked so well yesterday with dry roasted mussels (no wonder of course). And pretty good tonight on its own while i'm waiting for the dinner to be cooked.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#55 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Oct 8 2007, 08:15 PM) View Post
have also purchased a six-pack of cream stout made by an outfit named brau bros., who hail from a minnesota town of 70 people. will report once it has been consumed.

first of all, the brau bros. brewery is from a town of 220 people: lucan, minnesota. and apparently they are in fact owned by a family named brau. i guess they had no choice but to go into the beer business.

now, their cream stout. pours a lovely, deep, black. over-carbonated head, which dies quickly. sweet-sour aroma. taste: watery, next to no flavour. on the whole, crap. now i have another 5 bottles in the fridge. maybe i'll try the next one closer to room temperature.

~homer simpson

#56 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:47 AM

i have another 5 bottles in the fridge. maybe i'll try the next one closer to room temperature.

if the beer is ok but not that exciting to drink i suggest you use it as a cooking liquid instead - way more taste buds rewarding.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#57 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

brau bros. must be stopped. last evening at the "pub", their scotch ale. vile. malt and molasses. no body of any kind.

~homer simpson

#58 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

Our local Wholefoods now stocks Magners Irish Cider. Hurrah.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#59 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

I got a 4-pack of Surly Fest Beer cans last weekend while stocking up on wine at Surdyk's.

Not aggressively hopped but the bitterness is not way in the background either. Caramel color, clean malt flavors. Medium body and strong finish. Solid beer that is worth trying to find if you are in the Twin Cities.

Here's what their website says:

SurlyFest
Limited Release

Our interpretation of a German Oktoberfest beer. This beer is a single hop lager, hopped exclusively with Summit hops. Being a Surly beer, we decided to dry-hop it. Is that a traditional German way to brew it? Nein, but we ain't in Germany. We aged this beer over 11 weeks to let the flavors mellow into an exceptional taste. We used German malts and Crystal Rye for a unique flavor. Only one batch of this beer was brewed, so go and drink it while you can!

Prosit!

#60 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Sep 23 2007, 09:58 PM) View Post
I bought a six pack of Abita's Pecan Harvest Ale this week. I'm not sure what I expected from a beer flavored with Louisiana pecans, but this beer doesn't seem any different from any other Abita beer.

It's OK, but if I didn't know it's flavored with pecans, I wouldn't be able to tell from this brew...

I wish I had read this earlier. Just bought a six of this and I feel the same exact way.
Future Legacy Participant.