57 replies to this topic

#1 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:24 PM

But it was really that good. I had thought the reports might have been exaggerated. Newp.

We dodged lightning bolts to get there, but it was entirely worth it. The Voodoo shrimp with spicy worcestershire cream sauce over jalapeno cornbread is extraordinary. I nearly disgraced myself by licking the plate clean. Lex had the barbequed pork strudel with cheddarjack cheese and pickled jalapeno coleslaw, terrific, and we both had the jambalaya, really spicy. I had mine topped with shrimp creole, because I am given to excess. Just wonderful, big, juicy shrimp, boy, that was good.

It left me wondering how we had managed to avoid the place for so long. It is rather a distance for us, but it would be worth even a longer drive. BYO. I had to stop by the kitchen on our way out and gush over Drew a little.
Using salt and pepper is a good, inexpensive way to put flavor in your food. Sandra Lee

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

The website reads exceptionally well, and it sounds like you really enjoyed the place.

Keyport NJ

Dinner Menu - BYO
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#3 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Aug 20 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post
The website reads exceptionally well, and it sounds like you really enjoyed the place.

Keyport NJ

Dinner Menu - BYO

I really recommend it, RP. And I don't do that lightly.

Using salt and pepper is a good, inexpensive way to put flavor in your food. Sandra Lee

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:44 PM

We went last Friday on a day where the New York area was being pounded by violent thunderstorms. Biblical stuff. We were cornered by one earlier in the day and decided to wait it out under shelter instead of running out into a large parking lot and trying to find our car amidst the lightning strikes. Second best decision we made all day.

That evening as we approached the restaurant the skies opened up again and for 5 minutes it was as if someone was playing a fire hose over the car. This time around we were lucky and the storm passed in time for us to have a pre-dinner drink at a handy bar.

Drew's serves very nice food in a casual setting. The decor lulls you - clearly there wasn't a lavish budget for furnishings but it's pleasant enough. The food, however, makes you sit up and take notice. That BBQ pork strudel was outstanding.

The service was actually pretty polished for a place off the beaten path. This place is a keeper.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

Bumping this thread to note that Andrew Araneo is a finalist chef for the Beard awards regional honor.

#6 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

BYO looks like?
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#7 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(helena @ Feb 18 2010, 01:47 PM) View Post
BYO looks like?

Yep. They have a limited menu but what's on it is good. This isn't life changing food but it's well worth a visit.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#8 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

thanks - i really should learn to read - Deb mentioned BYO upfront; i don't think i've ever been to Keyport though lived in Middletown for several years...

"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#9 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

Time for some food pictures.

Voodoo shrimp.

Mushroom Soup

Shrimp Jambalaya

Cajun Pork Loin

The ambiance isn't plush but it's pleasant enough.

#10 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

Ooh. That pork loin dish was vast; I'd forgotten. Actually, the portions are more than generous. Drew-sized. I'm glad he's a finalist and hope he gets the award. Very affable guy.

Keyport is one of those funny old shore towns that God forgot, rather quaint in its way. A little like Atlantic Highlands, although somewhat shorter on charm. If you want to have a little pop before dinner, McDonough’s around the corner on Front St isn’t bad at all. The music can be a little obnoxious but the drinks are reasonable and the crowd is fine. Lex calls it “McKeyport.”

I'd like to get back there--that bistro flatbread looks good, although I doubt I could pass up the voodoo shrimp. The scallops are real good, too, and he knows his way around a pork chop. Seems to me that Lex had the chicken cordon blue (sic) once and thought it was only okay. And there was a mac and cheese side to a chop that wasn't all that. But that jambalaya.

#11 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

Just went for the first time last night. Took my parents since they love New Orleans and it was a casual restaurant (getting my dad to put on a collared shirt is a 2x a year task, when someone dies)

The closest thing I could explain it to my wife, who couldn't come was...it's the New Orleans-ish Sophies Bistro. Same vibe.

Not groundbreaking food, but solid, really well made and flavorful food that you can't get a lot of in NJ.

We had:
Voodoo shrimp
BBQ Pork Rillets
Blackened Mahi Mahi
crawfish etouffee
Jambalaya

All were great. Very large portion of the jambalaya. I could only eat half of it. It was very spicy. My father loved the crawfish etouffee...and both my parents make a trip at least 2x a year to New Orleans for the food, and they loved this place.

http://blogtimko.blogspot.com - blog
http://nicholascookbook.blogspot.com - blogging through a cookbook band-wagoner

#12 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the report. We've been meaning to get back there and now I'm even more motivated.

#13 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Apr 10 2010, 01:03 PM) View Post
Thanks for the report. We've been meaning to get back there and now I'm even more motivated.

After way too long an absence (about a year!), we finally made it back to Drew's a few weeks ago. Perhaps these photos will be an additional incentive for you.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(rozrapp @ Apr 10 2010, 02:58 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Lex @ Apr 10 2010, 01:03 PM) View Post

After way too long an absence (about a year!), we finally made it back to Drew's a few weeks ago. Perhaps these photos will be an additional incentive for you.

Great pictures, Rozrapp. Thanks for sharing them.

I especially like how many dishes are plated on dish designs which flatter the colors etc of the food. It's much more attractive to me than a monochrome plating design

#15 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:28 PM

Nice pictures, roz. That jambalaya is seriously spicy, but I love it. And the short ribs looked so good.

Nice to Drew's smiling face.