57 replies to this topic

#46 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:37 PM

For those of you that love hot sauce, Drews is collaborating with Born to Hula Hot Sauce for a 5 course tasting menu this Thursday November 17th. The price is $65.00 per person and includes a very limited edition bottle of Harvest hot sauce. Harvest is an Autumn Spiced Hot Sauce, made with Flaming Flair Chiles. I went to a similar tasting over the summer & it was very good and well worth the price. In the previous tasting we got bottles of every hot sauce served during each course (5 altogether). Below is the menu. Unfortunately we won't be able to make it this time, but we have our standing reservation the following Sunday which I always look forward to.

BBQ Smoked Pork Strudel
Cayenne - Apple Slaw
BTH Cayenne & Imperial Apple BBQ

Smokin’ Pineapple Shrimp
Garlic, Shallots, White Wine, Butter
BTH Smokin’ Pineapple

Thanksgiving Tamale Pie
Turkey Habanero-Guajillo Mole Rojo
Sweet Potato, Black Beans
Cheddar-Jack Tamale Crust
BTH Habanero-Guajillo

Reaper Lamb Tikka Masala
Basmati Rice, Roast Pumpkin
BTH Reaper Of Sorrow

Dessert:
Hot Chocolate Brownie
Pumpkin Spice Gelato
BTH Limited Edition - Harvest

#47 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Andrea Clurfeld, (Rosie's replacement) from NJ monthly, highlight's Drew's bistro burger in today's daily post. "It's the first of an occasional series on the state of the art of that beloved Jersey, and American, staple, the hamburger"  It is also part of Drew's new 'Weeknight Out Menu' which will be available all night Tuesday's through Thursday's during the winter months. It will include 3 courses at $35.00 per person plus tax & gratuity. That sounds like a great deal. The burger looks delicious, and he has a lot of his regular items on this menu, including his famous Voodoo shrimp. I wished I lived closer to Drew's so I could take advantage of this deal. I will just have to settle for paying regular (& very reasonable prices) on the third Sunday of each month :) Below is a description of the burger, as well as the special weeknight out menu, and a link to the article.

"Andrew “Drew” Araneo of Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport believes in going whole-hog when he creates a dish. (Not surprisingly, he’s known for his pork du jour specials.) So when he does a burger, you can expect he’s going whole-cow.

He starts with a custom beef grind: hanger steak and brisket, with a dollop of chuck. For the burger maven, it’ll be love at first bite.

Drew cooks the burger on a griddle for a firm char. Juicy to the max, it’s redolent of beef and more beef, slapped with American cheese, slathered with bacon-onion jam and topped with house-made pickle slices on a brioche bun.

Many folks were, like me, trying to guess what goes into the Araneo-divined “secret sauce.” The chef won’t say. But he ‘fesses up to adding a bit of yellow mustard. Given the sauce’s rosy Russian-dressing hue, my fellow burger junkies were thinking a squirt or three of ketchup as well."

Starters:

Soup Of The Day

Sauteed Mussels
Shallots, Garlic, White Wine, Butter

Brewhaus Mac n’ Cheese
Cheddar-Ale, Smoked Sausage, Buttered Pretzel Crumbs

Bistro House Salad 
 Field Greens, Roast Red Beets, Roast Pumpkin
Goats Cheese, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds, Sherry-Shallot Vinaigrette G

Southwestern Caesar Salad 
 Grilled Heart Of Romaine., Tomato Salsa, Tortilla Crisps
Queso Blanco Red Chile Caesar Dressing G*

Voodoo Shrimp
Jalapeño Cornbread, Spicy Worcestershire Cream

Main Course:

Bistro Burger & Fries
10oz House Blend Burger, Bacon-Onion Jam, American Cheese
House Pickles, ‘Bistro Burger Sauce’, Brioche Roll, Handcut Fries

Chicken & Gravy
Southern Fried Chicken Breast, Smashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables
Andouille Sausage Cream Gravy

Jumbo Lump Crab Cake
Smashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, Chipotle Tartar Sauce

Cavatelli Bolognese 
Beef, Pork Veal, Tomato, Cream
Fresh Cavtelli, Black Pepper Parmesan

City Jambalaya 
 It is spicy! Chicken, Andouille Sausage, Tasso Ham, Trinity Vegetables
Creole Tomato Sauce G

Pork Du Jour $7 Supplemental

Dessert:
Warm Brownie Sundae
Vanilla Gelato, Whipped Cream, Chocolate & Caramel Sauce

Beignets & Cream
Warm Beignets, Vanilla Gelato, Caramel Sauce

Cremesickle Sundae
Blood Orange Sorbet, Vanilla Gelato

https://njmonthly.co...ayshore-bistro/

#48 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:21 AM

That's a wonderful menu, and a steal for $35.

I hope it isn't a sign of a drop off in business.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#49 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:04 AM

That's a wonderful menu, and a steal for $35.

I hope it isn't a sign of a drop off in business.

I think that Drew is just trying to get people to dine out on a cold winter weeknight. He seems to still be crowded on the weekends, even on the Sunday nights that I am there. This is always a slow time of the year for (NJ) restaurants, especially during the week.

#50 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:42 AM

In 2013, Drew served lunch for a very short period of time.  A cheeseburger was on that menu. It came with fries and assorted things on the side.  The burger was terrific, so I'm glad he's resurrected it though the blend might be different.  Also, it sounds as though he's now gussied up the burger itself. 

Photos

As far as a drop off in business is concerned, as I said in my Aarzu blog post, NJ restaurants are generally very busy on weekends but pretty much dead mid-week. So, I agree with paryzer that the $35 prix-fixe is Drew's attempt to drum up mid-week business. 

#51 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:11 AM

I'm glad to hear that. Tuesday through Thursday can be deadly in the restaurant business in the suburbs.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#52 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

Drew just posted his Mardi Gras Prix Fixe menu on his Facebook page. It looks really good. I wish I lived closer, but I am looking forward to my regularly scheduled dinner on Sunday.

Well here it is, our Mardi Gras Prix Fixe Menu! It's a 3 Course Menu. The price of the Main Course includes the Starter & Dessert,

(plus tax & gratuity)
Mardi Gras is on Tuesday February 28th & Seating times are open! Reservations are strongly suggested! Thanks for reading & We hope to see you soon at Drew's!

Drew’s Bayshore Bistro
Mardi Gras 2017 Menu

For The Table:
Cornbread, Biscuits, Black Bread
Red Beans & Rice

Starters:

Seafood Gumbo
Shrimp, Crawfish, Crabmeat Tasso Ham, Rice

Chicken & Andouille Gumbo 
Chicken, Andouille Sausage, Trinity Vegetables, Rice

Aligator Chili
Aligator Sausage, Aligator Tailmeat, Black Beans
Cheddar-Jack Cheese, Green Onions

Voodoo Shrimp 
 Spicy Worcestershire Cream, Jalapeño Cornbread

New Orleans Style Broiled Oysters 15-
Garlic, Butter, Parsley, Parmesan G

Muffuletta Antipasta Plate 12-
Hot & Sweet Salami, Prosciutto, Provolone
Muffuletta Olive Salad, Flatbread

Crawfish Hushpuppies
Habanero Tiger Sauce

Crabmeat Remick
Crabmeat, Spicy Dressing, Bacon, Parmesan, Toast Point

Pimento Cheese Flatbread
Pimento Cheese, Benton’s Bacon, Field Greens

Cajun Empanada
Spicy Beef & Pork Filling, Creole Mustard Sauce

Main Course:

Short Ribs Criolla 54-
Peppers, Onions, Tomato, Green Olives, Pickled Jalapeños
Cheese Grits & Braised Greens

Blackened 16oz. Prime Pork Chop 52-
Andouille & Jalapeno Mac n’ Cheese, Braised Greens
Ancho BBQ Sauce

Duck Leg Confit 50-
Duck, Tasso & Mushroom Jambalaya
Tabasco Gastrique, White Truffle Oil

French Quarter Chicken Cordon Blue 46-
Panko Breaded Chicken, Andouille, Swiss & Mozzarella
Smashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables
Whole Grain Mustard Sauce

Pasta Jambalaya 46-
Shrimp, Chicken, Andouille Sausage, Fresh Cavatelli
Cajun Parmesan Cream

Mississippi Catfish Avery 50-
Panko Breaded, Crabmeat & Crawfish Pepper-Jack Cream
Smashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables

Crawfish Étouffée 50-
Brown Gravy Smothered Crawfish Tails
Trinity Vegetables, Rice

City Jambalaya 47- 
 Chicken, Andouille Sausage, Tasso Ham, Trinity Vegetables Topped With Shrimp Creole

Dessert:

Beignets & Coffee
Powder Sugar Dusted Beignets, Cappuccino Gelato

Bananas Foster Bread Pudding
Vanilla Gelato, Whipped Cream, Caramel Sauce

Irish Carbomb Sundae
Guinness Ice Cream, Jameson Caramel, Bailey’s Marshmallow

‘Hot Chocolate’ Brownie Sundae
Chile Infused Brownie, Vanilla Gelato, Whipped Cream
Chocolate & Caramel Sauce

(Menu subject to change due to availability)

#53 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

My wife and I had another excellent dinner at Drew's Sunday night. Drew has added a few new items to his menu. We  started off with a refreshing Tuna ceviche tostada and a pork & beef empanada. Drew also comped us with an outstanding new appetizer on the menu, mussels puttanesca. I could take a bath in that sauce it was so good. Drew needs to bottle & sell it. We took home the remaining puttanesca sauce and plan on using it with zoodles and sausage later on in the week. I also had another new entree on the menu, blackened catfish with bacon braised collard greens and fried mac & cheese with a spicy remoulade sauce. It was delicious. I didn't take any pictures but below are pictures of the mussels & catfish from Drew's Facebook page. Unfortunately Drew also changed up his Chicken entree. He replaced the nice crispy waffles with biscuits, and the awesome lightly spicy creamy andouille gravy with a creamy sweet sausage gravy. The chicken was still very good, but we miss the crispy waffles. Luckily Drew still had some of the old Andouille sausage gravy left over. The new gravy isn't bad but doesn't have the same kick to it. For dessert we took home some bourbon brown sugar ice cream, chocolate spearmint ice cream, and blood orange sorbet. Some other new items on Drew's menu, which we didn't get to try, were Bourbon-Coke Glazed Pork Belly w/ Blackened Potato Salad and Pan Roasted Exotic Mushrooms with Shallots, Garlic, Parmesan Fondue, in a Puff Pastry.

IKRfDsTh.jpg

JARWlVzh.jpg

#54 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

We had another fabulous dinner at Drew's on Sunday.

We started off with a special appetizer of New Orleans styled broiled oysters with garlic, parsley, parmesan, & butter. They weren't quite as good as Drago's in New Orleans, but they were still very good.

MQBY0Ejh.jpg

​We also had candied bacon spareribs with jalapeno coleslaw. It had a nice smoky bacon glaze.

TfIG9O0h.jpg

For an entree I had an amazing special that wasn't on the special's list. I think I got the last portion. It was a seafood stuffed eggplant boat. It consisted of a crispy fried panko breaded half eggplant, that was gutted, and stuffed with a crispy crawfish & crabmeat stuffing, with delicious sauteed shrimp, & a cajun sherry cream sauce. I had them put the sauce on the side so the eggplant would remain crispy. Drew needs to add this to the regular menu.

AslrLiJh.jpg

ocpnkfWh.jpg

Mrs. P had the Nashville hot chicken & biscuits, with sweet potato buttermilk biscuits, bacon braised greens, Nashville hot chicken sauce, and black pepper ranch. She had the sauce on the side so the chicken would remain crispy. The chicken was delicious as always but Mrs. P prefers the crispy waffles over the boring biscuits.

PKNSFvwh.jpg

#55 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

Mrs. P & I had another amazing dinner at Drew's Sunday night. To start, Mark the sous chef comped us with a very generous portion of cavatelli beef sugo which consisted of slow cooked and pulled beef cheeks, garlic, Italian tomato, black pepper parmesan & chive oil. The beef cheeks just melted in your mouth.

imVpm8Dh.jpg

We also shared an excellent appetizer of very tender & refreshing calamari ceviche tostada with jalapeno, red onion, tomato, cilantro, lime, & crisp tortilla strips on top of a tortilla chips. This would be a perfect spring or summer dish.

Iu5xuOdh.jpg?1

We also shared a delicious BBQ pulled pork mac & cheese (which we probably wouldn't have ordered if I knew we were going to be comped the beef cheek cavatelli).

l1s6Hrph.jpg

For entrees I had an incredible cajun cassoulet special which consisted of duck confit, smoked pulled pork, andouille sausage, braised white beans, & herbed breadcrumbs. It was very hearty.

FoofwdIh.jpg

Mrs. P had her usual Nashville hot chicken with sweet potato buttermilk biscuits, bacon braised greens, black pepper ranch and Nashville hot chicken sauce. She gets the sauces on the side so the chicken stays nice & crispy. The hot Chicken sauce had a nice kick to it.

in2weUSh.jpg

We took home some Chocolate brownie gelato & marshmallow gelato (which went great with some thin crispy ginger cookies that we have at home). We also took home plenty of leftovers which will make a nice lunch & dinner for today.

#56 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:03 PM

It is impossible for me to look at this thread and not read its title as "Drew Barrymore Bistro".  I know it isn't.  I try to read it the right way.  I really do.

But every time, I read, "Drew Barrymore Bistro".

Bar Loser

MF Old

#57 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

I know that they look very similar if you put them side by side :) 

NPQQLgKh.jpg

QWfSG8lh.jpg

#58 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

You really can't tell them apart.

Bar Loser

MF Old