3 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

Michael Jackson, not that one, has passed. Known as the Beer Hunter, Jackson was perhaps the world's foremost writer on beer. In every way but one, Jackson elevated the appreciation of one of the world's oldest and best loved beverages to heights previously accorded only to wine. The one exception was, thankfully, a lack of snobbery. Beer was, is and always will be a drink of the every-man, and many women. From the lowliest swill "American Pale Lager," to the glorious Trappist Ales of Belgium. On a hot day, a cold day, a rainy day, a clear day; at the park, the stadium, the bar or the restaurant; you could sit down next to someone and share a beer. Cold, less cold, or, if you're in England, frightfully warm. You don't need to blather on about bouquets, noses, hints of blackberries, tannins, terrior or finish. You could just drink and enjoy.

Of course, if you wanted, you could talk about the taste, and for this, we are grateful for Mr. Jackson's work. He wrote eloquently about the difference between the beer and ale, the bitters, the IPA, bock (double and triple, why not?), helles, dunkles, wheats, lambics -- one could go on. Many saw Mr. Jackson as the impetus behind renewal of the American micro-brews (destroyed during the awful Volstead experiment).

Yes, I used to brew. Now I only drink. Later tonight, I will drink one to Mr. Jackson.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#2 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

Poor chap. Not that old, surely.

Without wishing to distract attention from his beer-swilling achievements, few know he was also a Trotskyist and wrote political stuff too. Still, I don't blame him entirely for Kronstadt.

More seriously, he was an important figure in a movement which converted Britain from drinking cold, fizzy pressurised "bitter" from electric taps to the discerning beer nation it is today. We did have to go through a horrible period of tasting murky brews with funny names and twigs floated in them, enthused over by inelegant bearded men in anoraks - but in retrospect it was probably worth it.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#3 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

He had Parkinson's. He was in Austin just earlier this year and conducted a beer class.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,804 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hmmm. Heart attack. Wonder if he had beer heart?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought