67 replies to this topic

#31 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Sometime I would like to stay in StL long enough to do a proper pizza comparison. The folks at Riverfront Times seem to think that Dewey's is the best in town. And there's some place on The Hill, I have it noted somewhere, that also gets good marks. Never enough time.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#32 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

Toasted ravioli.

And deli in St. Louis (corned beef and pastrami in particular) is a bit different from NY and quite good. Don't have any specific recommendations though.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#33 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,867 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(prasantrin @ Jun 12 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post
Where might one get a good pig snout or calves' brain sandwich? That might be an interesting bus treat, too (for me, not so much for the other passengers).

I wish I could tell you. My friends will never take me.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#34 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,867 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

I see that for snoot sandwiches (as they're called), Jane and Michael Stern recommend the following:

C & K BBQ Restaurant #3
4390 Jenning Station Road
Pine Lawn, MO 63121
314-385-8100
Bar Loser

MF Old

#35 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:12 AM

C & K BBQ and Jennifer's are now on the list, but they're both quite far (comparatively) considering I'll only have a car for 24 hours. Jennifer's has a Braunschweiger sandwich I'd like to try, though, and I've never ever had a lime rickey before! That would be so Americana!

Will search for delis, too.

Is there any good Mexican in St. Louis? No good Mexican in Canada or in Japan, so I have to try to get some whenever I'm in the US.

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,867 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:58 PM

Great Vietnamese (which I don't think will help you).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jun 26 2009, 08:58 AM) View Post
Great Vietnamese (which I don't think will help you).

I do like Vietnamese, but I know I'll get very good Vietnamese in Winnipeg, so it's not high on my list for STL. If there's a good banh mi place around, I could do take-out, though. It's good bus food.

I've been doing research, and the only fried brain sandwich is at Ferguson's Pub. Most STL places stopped serving them with the mad cow thing.

And C&K BBQ mentioned earlier is the only snout place so far.

(all my info is from chow--must give credit where credit is due)

#38 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,867 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

Apparently you don't need to go to St. Louis to get Bissinger's.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,867 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(prasantrin @ Jun 27 2009, 04:09 AM) View Post
I've been doing research, and the only fried brain sandwich is at Ferguson's Pub. Most STL places stopped serving them with the mad cow thing.

Ferguson's Pub! That's the exact place my friends refuse to take me to!

(My favorite Vietnamese is called Pho Grand, BTW, in case you run out of other things to eat.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jul 7 2009, 12:56 AM) View Post
QUOTE(prasantrin @ Jun 27 2009, 04:09 AM) View Post

Ferguson's Pub! That's the exact place my friends refuse to take me to!

(My favorite Vietnamese is called Pho Grand, BTW, in case you run out of other things to eat.)

I've added it to my list just in case. It's sort of in the vicinity of where we'll be our last night, so I hope they have banh mi!

Given the looks of my google map, though, I don't think we'll be running out of places to eat. unsure.gif

We'll only be there for less than 48 hours!

#41 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Jun 12 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post
Sometime I would like to stay in StL long enough to do a proper pizza comparison. The folks at Riverfront Times seem to think that Dewey's is the best in town. And there's some place on The Hill, I have it noted somewhere, that also gets good marks. Never enough time.

Dewey's is a chain. We have them in kentucky, and they are in Ohio too. Good enough, but nothing special. On The Hill, the sicilian slices at Adriana's are good.

#42 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

After picking up our rental car, we drove straight to

(excuse my mother's fancy sunglasses--she just had cataract surgery a couple of weeks ago)

Did you know it was on Route 66?

Tirra Mizzou Concrete (pistachio and chocolate) and Chocolate Malted Concrete

Then we drove to Carl's Drive-In. It's not a drive-in, but it's still kind of cool. Food is so-so, though.

Root beer in a frosted mug is awesome. It's IBC Draft.

Our food--beef tamale with chili and a cheeseburger. We had fries, too. The tamale with chili was served with saltine crackers--is that a St. Louis thing?

We would have had pizza for dinner, but we were too tired to go out.

#43 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

But did you go to one of the many terrific diners for the famous St. Louis Slinger?

The Voice of America

#44 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the pics!

Ted Drewes looks amazingly uncrowded, I've never seen it like that in summertime. Were you there at an odd hour, or was the weather bad? Hate to see the recession hitting them too.

QUOTE(prasantrin @ Jul 29 2009, 12:38 PM) View Post
The tamale with chili was served with saltine crackers--is that a St. Louis thing?

Chili with saltines was a common St. Louis / eastern Missouri thing in the 1960s. It may be much wider than that, I don't have enough experience to say. I don't see much rationale for including saltines with tamales but I guess that's it.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#45 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(Jaymes @ Jul 29 2009, 12:36 PM) View Post
But did you go to one of the many terrific diners for the famous St. Louis Slinger?

No sad.gif

I really wanted to visit more diners, but we just didn't have the time (or stomach room). We're trying to figure out how to get back to the area. We both really liked St. Louis and Kansas City, so I think we're going to pass through next year on our way to our southwest tour.