83 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

I was about to do just that when I stumbled upon the Modern Juice Centre, a little stand that sold fresh fruit juices and chicken shawarma. I ordered a custard-apple milkshake, and with the first pull on the straw, the throbbing stopped and my world expanded.

Around me, I could now see, were gorgeous Victorian houses and quaintly run-down concrete buildings, sidewalks shaded by knobby-trunked tropical trees, shopkeepers and passers-by engaged not in ferocious arguments but in cheerful banter. I was cured of my headache, and it had cost a mere 35 rupees (about 81 cents at 43 rupees to the dollar, the exchange rate when I visited in mid-April).

Just to be safe, I dropped another 30 rupees on a ganga jamuna (orange juice with sweet lime) and surveyed my prospects. I was planning to live the Mumbai high life, a weekend-long party of shopping, eating and luxuriating, and I was hoping to do it on a budget of $500, or 21,500 rupees.

NY Times

Normally, the Frugal Traveler's strategy is to save on Friday and splurge on Saturday, but since I'd already cracked open my wallet, I figured I'd switch things around. So, for dinner, we hit Trishna, a well-known seafood restaurant. Aditya, Dave and I powered through spindly king-crab legs with butter and garlic, lobster meat in an emerald sauce of pepper, basil and mint, and Hyderabadi fish tikka. When the bill came, I braced myself; surely I'd be eating plain samosas the rest of the weekend. Instead, it was 1,300 rupees each, the price of two cocktails at the Taj.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,423 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:45 AM

Looking at this a little differently right now.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#3 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

yes, funny to think I was there in March and staying right by "VT" and many of the places I visited were near the two hotels

But, Mumbai is an amazing city and will bounce back

S

#4 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

Our Department of Foreign Affairs has just issued a notice that Canadians should avoid all travel to India in the wake of the Mumbai attacks.
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,423 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(flyfish @ Nov 27 2008, 11:54 AM) View Post
Our Department of Foreign Affairs has just issued a notice that Canadians should avoid all travel to India in the wake of the Mumbai attacks.

Sharp as a tack.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#6 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,701 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

When did Bombay become Mumbai. I feel very, very ignorant.
I was in Bombay in 1979 and remember seeing a very modern, fab hotel and I could have sworn it was called the Taj Mahal. The hotel in the news seems to be old and fabber. Are there two hotels with the same name?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#7 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:44 AM

The name change came about ten years ago at the same time as Calcutta became Kolkata and Madras, Chenai. Mind you locals still use the old names and still refer to "VT" The Victoria Terminus with only officials using CST. All stemmed from the election of a strongly nationalistic govt who wanted to move away from the names of colonial rule.

There is only one Taj in Mumbai, although there is now a Taj Group and they own a few hotels. It has been around since the late 1800's, if I am correct and may have been refurbed in the late 70's. I was there in 1979 and then in thje 80's and 90's and it looked much as it does now. The Oberoi is very modern.

Slapsie

#8 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,701 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE(Slapsie Maxie @ Nov 28 2008, 06:44 PM) View Post
The name change came about ten years ago at the same time as Calcutta became Kolkata and Madras, Chenai. Mind you locals still use the old names and still refer to "VT" The Victoria Terminus with only officials using CST. All stemmed from the election of a strongly nationalistic govt who wanted to move away from the names of colonial rule.

There is only one Taj in Mumbai, although there is now a Taj Group and they own a few hotels. It has been around since the late 1800's, if I am correct and may have been refurbed in the late 70's. I was there in 1979 and then in thje 80's and 90's and it looked much as it does now. The Oberoi is very modern.

My memory was huge slabs of marble. Maybe they were from Agra? Would that make sense? I was young. And stoned.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#9 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Nov 28 2008, 05:57 PM) View Post
When did Bombay become Mumbai. I feel very, very ignorant.
I was in Bombay in 1979 and remember seeing a very modern, fab hotel and I could have sworn it was called the Taj Mahal. The hotel in the news seems to be old and fabber. Are there two hotels with the same name?

The Taj Mahal hotel was built in 1903, vaguely the same era of opulence as the Titanic.

It's so painful to watch it burn, and to think of those attacks.

#10 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,290 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE(Slapsie Maxie @ Nov 28 2008, 08:44 PM) View Post
Mind you locals still use the old names

maybe in english. bombay has always been mumbai to most non-english speaking residents of the city--certainly in marathi; bambai in hindi, and bombay in english. likewise calcutta has always been kolkata to its bengali residents. not that the politics of the official name-changes were simple*, but for the vast majority of the people who live in these cities they're seamless changes that reflect their relationships with their cities. i continue to refer to them as bombay and calcutta when i speak english.

rancho, the taj has two wings. the older wing, where the terrorists holed up, is the heritage section and is only 8 stories. connected to it is the newer tower section. there are other taj hotels in bombay, but these are not particularly visually striking.

*or identical in all these cases: west bengal has been ruled by a communist party for the last 30 years, who're not exactly well-disposed to the nationalist party you refer to.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#11 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,701 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:35 AM

My brain. Well, it was a long time ago.
Is there a Taj in Delhi? It's dawning on me it might have been New Delhi. Made with a lot of marble.
Don't research. Just confused and in the end....not a lot at stake.

Did I mention I saw the real Taj by moonlight? Well, I did.

#12 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,290 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Nov 28 2008, 10:35 PM) View Post
Is there a Taj in Delhi? It's dawning on me it might have been New Delhi. Made with a lot of marble.

there are two taj hotels in delhi. the taj mahal hotel closer to the india gate area, and the taj palace closer to the airport. most 5 star hotels in india have large amounts of marble in them.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#13 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,701 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Nov 28 2008, 08:46 PM) View Post
QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Nov 28 2008, 10:35 PM) View Post

there are two taj hotels in delhi. the taj mahal hotel closer to the india gate area, and the taj palace closer to the airport. most 5 star hotels in india have large amounts of marble in them.

This one had food in the restaurants. And a lot of staff. The reception area was large and impressive. And there was a road, a very busy one, nearby.
And the name of the hotel was written on the outside of the building.
Ringing any bells?

#14 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,290 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:15 AM

you've described every 5-star hotel in delhi and bombay.

~homer simpson

#15 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,701 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Nov 28 2008, 09:15 PM) View Post
you've described every 5-star hotel in delhi and bombay.

But this one had waiters in the restaurant and there was a man at the front desk who checked you in. He had black hair and a thick accent.