179 replies to this topic

#1 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

...you discover you can no longer eat BBQ.

A couple of years ago we had dinner at Beale St BBQ up in Maine, a place we'd dined at before & rather liked. I had ribs. After dinner I had one of the worst attacks of nausea in my life. I was almost certain that the problem was the shrimp salad I'd had for lunch rather than the ribs, but of course the association of the sensation & the ribs was powerful and kept me away from BBQ for quite a spell.

Had dinner in NYC with some UK friends last night. I looked up some restaurants in their vicinity & came up with a choice of Indonesian, Greek, Thai & BBQ. Naturally they opted for the one thing that's hard to find in Britain, the BBQ - Virgil's. It had been way too long for me, I figured it was time to try the stuff again. I went for the pulled pork.

Shortly after we finished, there was the nausea again, not nearly as powerful as before, but still evident & unwelcome. Maybe Virgil's just sucks. Or maybe my system simply can't handle that much rich, greasy, smoky & salty food any more.

So now I'm thinking that the event in Maine was a combination of bad shrimp & my reaction to BBQ, and that I've had my last BBQ meal.
It's not a huge loss in the cosmic sdheme of things, but it's another reminder of how time changes our physiology that I'd rather not have had, thank you. angry.gif
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#2 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Sep 25 2007, 09:55 AM) View Post

A couple of years ago we had dinner at Beale St BBQ up in Maine, a place we'd dined at before & rather liked. I had ribs. After dinner I had one of the worst attacks of nausea in my life. I was almost certain that the problem was the shrimp salad I'd had for lunch rather than the ribs, but of course the association of the sensation & the ribs was powerful and kept me away from BBQ for quite a spell.

Had dinner in NYC with some UK friends last night. I looked up some restaurants in their vicinity & came up with a choice of Indonesian, Greek, Thai & BBQ. Naturally they opted for the one thing that's hard to find in Britain, the BBQ - Virgil's. It had been way too long for me, I figured it was time to try the stuff again. I went for the pulled pork.

Shortly after we finished, there was the nausea again, not nearly as powerful as before, but still evident & unwelcome. Maybe Virgil's just sucks. Or maybe my system simply can't handle that much rich, greasy, smoky & salty food any more.

So now I'm thinking that the event in Maine was a combination of bad shrimp & my reaction to BBQ, and that I've had my last BBQ meal.
It's not a huge loss in the cosmic sdheme of things, but it's another reminder of how time changes our physiology that I'd rather not have had, thank you. angry.gif

I went through a period where pastrami turned me off. For me, that's like saying no to Charleze Theron. It lasted about two years, and was cured by eating half a sandwich of Katz's pastrami.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#3 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

... you realize that the face you see in the mirror is your father's.

... you have more hair in your ears than on your head.

... you grunt every time you stand up.

... your immediate response on seeing a group of young people is "fucking students".
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#4 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

...when the phrase, "back when I was your age" precedes most serious discussions.

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(Melonious Thunk @ Sep 25 2007, 10:15 AM) View Post
I went through a period where pastrami turned me off. For me, that's like saying no to Charleze Theron. It lasted about two years, and was cured by eating half a sandwich of Katz's pastrami.

I am now wondering how one would cure a Charlize Theron aversion. smile.gif
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#6 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Sep 25 2007, 11:00 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Melonious Thunk @ Sep 25 2007, 10:15 AM) View Post

I am now wondering how one would cure a Charlize Theron aversion. smile.gif

Immersion therapy.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#7 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

When you run...it's like really, really slow.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#8 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

When you can no longer go on four first dates and one second date in one week.

It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,652 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Sep 25 2007, 11:31 AM) View Post
When you can no longer go on four first dates and one second date in one week.

laugh.gif
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(GordonCooks @ Sep 25 2007, 11:29 AM) View Post
When you run...it's like really, really slow.

Run?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#11 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Sep 25 2007, 06:55 AM) View Post
angry.gif

The puzzle here is to figure out what and why. I have now, alas, developed the same adverse reaction to Parmigiano Reggiano or any parmesan that isn't packaged in green cardboard. And I love P-R on many things. But up all night is no longer worth it. Is it a getting older thing or more like a third bee sting kills you thing? I was taught in college food science classes that adults, as they age, slowly stop producing the enzymes that break down dairy products. But I'm a huge consumer of dairy, milk with every meal, cheeses on Mexican dishes, Laughing Cow snack cheeses, etc., and no problems.
There's just something about parmesans/romanos culture that I can't have any more. angry.gif blush.gif
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#12 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

...you can still stay up until 2 AM working a deadline....but when you finally get in bed, you can't fall asleep, and when you finally do you can't wake up and you can't manage to drag your ass out of bed before 9 and you're a fucking wreck for the next 3 days.

Hard work just doesn't pay.

#13 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

Just recently I had to enter my year of birth with a pull down menu online.
A lot of years passed before I got to mine. OUCH.

yes Gordon, running more slowly- but still running.

#14 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

Presbyopia.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#15 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,093 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

Not being able to distinguish voices in loud rooms.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China