#16 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Sep 25 2007, 09:55 AM) View Post
...you discover you can no longer eat BBQ.

A couple of years ago we had dinner at Beale St BBQ up in Maine, a place we'd dined at before & rather liked. I had ribs. After dinner I had one of the worst attacks of nausea in my life. I was almost certain that the problem was the shrimp salad I'd had for lunch rather than the ribs, but of course the association of the sensation & the ribs was powerful and kept me away from BBQ for quite a spell.

Had dinner in NYC with some UK friends last night. I looked up some restaurants in their vicinity & came up with a choice of Indonesian, Greek, Thai & BBQ. Naturally they opted for the one thing that's hard to find in Britain, the BBQ - Virgil's. It had been way too long for me, I figured it was time to try the stuff again. I went for the pulled pork.

Shortly after we finished, there was the nausea again, not nearly as powerful as before, but still evident & unwelcome. Maybe Virgil's just sucks. Or maybe my system simply can't handle that much rich, greasy, smoky & salty food any more.

So now I'm thinking that the event in Maine was a combination of bad shrimp & my reaction to BBQ, and that I've had my last BBQ meal.
It's not a huge loss in the cosmic sdheme of things, but it's another reminder of how time changes our physiology that I'd rather not have had, thank you. angry.gif

You might test whether beef bbq has the same effect on you as pork bbq has.

Bourbon BBQ in Hawthorne seems to have settled down to a better level. I liked the brisket at Bourbon on several visits. I don't believe the new place (CC's on the other end of Hawthorne) offers beef bbq.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#17 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Sep 25 2007, 12:32 PM) View Post
Presbyopia.

you'll look good with chic readers.

#18 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

I already have quite a collection, and I've started carrying a pair around all the time...
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#19 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE(g.johnson @ Sep 25 2007, 11:17 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Sep 25 2007, 11:00 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Melonious Thunk @ Sep 25 2007, 10:15 AM) View Post
I went through a period where pastrami turned me off. For me, that's like saying no to Charleze Theron. It lasted about two years, and was cured by eating half a sandwich of Katz's pastrami.

I am now wondering how one would cure a Charlize Theron aversion. smile.gif

Immersion therapy.

laugh.gif Although Charlize Theron aversion is an oxymoron
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#20 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(scamhi @ Sep 25 2007, 12:11 PM) View Post
Just recently I had to enter my year of birth with a pull down menu online.
A lot of years passed before I got to mine. OUCH.

I like it when you can enter a year, and the site will accept things like 1892 or 1909.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#21 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

... you fart dust.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#22 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,896 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

You start watching the evening news with greater frequency.
You start noticing the plethora of drug ads on the evening news.
You start thinking that maybe you should talk to your doctor about one or more of those drugs.

[hypothetically, of course, of course]

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#23 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

You are the oldest living generation of your immediate family, and your siblings start dying sad.gif
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#24 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:37 PM

Being called my least favorite word in the English language -- ma'am. angry.gif

#25 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

When "The Call of the Wild" suddenly means rushing to the bathroom.

#26 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Sep 25 2007, 02:37 PM) View Post

Really? I just think that's polite and nice. I call people ma'am and sir all the time, regardless of age.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#27 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:50 PM

You're as old as your students' parents. Or they tell you "you graduated from college the year I was born!"

Things that used to be fun are now too grueling to consider.

Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#28 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Sep 23 2007, 04:37 PM) View Post

Ditto.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#29 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:55 PM

When you look at vintage charts and start handicapping your chances of ever drinking the wine in its prime.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#30 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:55 PM

When the kids call me sir or Mr., I tell them that's my father.
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'