Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Sep 25 2007, 03:47 PM) View Post
QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Sep 25 2007, 02:37 PM) View Post
Being called my least favorite word in the English language -- ma'am. angry.gif

Really? I just think that's polite and nice. I call people ma'am and sir all the time, regardless of age.

Well, you've been warned. wink.gif

I'm having a hard time with it. When I'm addressed as such, in my head, I'm thinking, Damn mouthy little whippersnapper! tongue.gif

#32 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

And I'm thinking "how polite and civilized"

"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#33 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

There are a few words, especially the gender-related ones, that get my goat.

Why do women have to transition from "miss" to "ma'am" while men never do? They just get called "sir" all their lives.

Recently, I've been getting really mad when someone uses the term "cougar" to talk about a certain type, age-related, of women. It's not complimentary, even when the people using it think it is.

#34 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Sep 25 2007, 01:07 PM) View Post

Why do women have to transition from "miss" to "ma'am" while men never do? They just get called "sir" all their lives.

Recently, I've been getting really mad when someone uses the term "cougar" to talk about a certain type, age-related, of women. It's not complimentary, even when the people using it think it is.

I think you need a hug!
I also think we need a name for letchy old men with saggy skin and liver marks who wouldn't dream of dating women older than 30. I think it would soften the sting of "cougar".

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#35 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

Never heard that cougar expression...

Sir, Miss/Ma'am....same as Miss/Mrs vs Mr
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#36 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,671 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Sep 25 2007, 04:10 PM) View Post

I am surprised.

Also not a fan of 'ma'am'. My sister put a note in the 'suggestion box' at her gym suggesting '20-something staff should not be calling 30 and 40-something members ma'am'.

I do remember almost falling over in a shop in London when I was about 25 and was called 'madam'.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#37 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Sep 23 2007, 06:07 PM) View Post

How do you feel about MILF? (sorry, couldn't resist)
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#38 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(Daisy @ Sep 25 2007, 01:14 PM) View Post
QUOTE(omnivorette @ Sep 25 2007, 04:10 PM) View Post

I am surprised.

Also not a fan of 'ma'am'. My sister put a note in the 'suggestion box' at her gym suggesting '20-something staff should not be calling 30 and 40-something members ma'am'.

I do remember almost falling over in a shop in London when I was about 25 and was called 'madam'.

There's the AbFab when the girls fly to France and a stewardess calls Patsy "madame" and Patsy roars: "Wha-selle! Wha-selle! Madamoiselle!" as if she were far too young for Madame.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#39 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Sep 25 2007, 04:09 PM) View Post
I think you need a hug!
I also think we need a name for letchy old men with saggy skin and liver marks who wouldn't dream of dating women older than 30. I think it would soften the sting of "cougar".

Hey! Wait a second! I'm not a cougar yet...but I'm looking forward to it, though should anyone call me one to my face...

rancho, I blame you, you enabler! Don't tell me you weren't jacking up the ratings for Age of Love and sniggering at those (lovely) 40 y.o.'s vying with those (trampy) 20 y.o.'s for the affections of a 2nd tier has-been 30 y.o. former tennis pro. I know you were!!

I do need a hug.

#40 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

QUOTE(GrantK @ Sep 25 2007, 12:55 PM) View Post
When the kids call me sir or Mr., I tell them that's my father.

How about when they call you Boss (and you're not their employer or supervisor)?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#41 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,671 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(hollywood @ Sep 25 2007, 04:17 PM) View Post
QUOTE(GrantK @ Sep 25 2007, 12:55 PM) View Post
When the kids call me sir or Mr., I tell them that's my father.

How about when they call you Boss (and you're not their employer or supervisor)?

Do you have the air of command?

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#42 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

I think the real point is some like ma'am and sir and others aren't quite ready so no one should get to upset about any of it because there's no winning this game! And by the way, I'm not your "bro" so let's stop that!

My peeve is the high five. I'm too old and it's silly. Or this new knuckle to knuckle thing. i like an old fashioned hand shake or an air kiss. Or a romp in the hay, but that's about it.

#43 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Sep 25 2007, 04:09 PM) View Post
QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Sep 25 2007, 01:07 PM) View Post

I think you need a hug!

We call them "billionaires".

curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#44 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(GrantK @ Sep 25 2007, 04:15 PM) View Post
How do you feel about MILF? (sorry, couldn't resist)

I don't like it, but I admit it doesn't get me mad. Somehow women cross some dividing line between being vibrant and sexy and being maternal and sexless. MILF somehow implies an exception that proves the rule. Not to mention some women wear it as a badge of honor, and equate it with dressing like a teenager and letting it all hang out.

I personally think the sexiest ladies dress their age but with elegance and taste. Incredibly sexy, but those ladies would never be referred to as a MILF. At least by men.

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:30 PM

I am mildly peeved when I see "MILF" printed by publications which wouldn't dare spell out the phrase for which it's an acronym.

Anyway, I met a charming woman last night, but told myself that even if I were single she'd be too young for me. Turns out she's 33. sad.gif
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.