#31 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 21 2008, 01:13 PM) View Post
also, i have been told by mrs. jones that i need to stop asking for the tofu/fish fillet thing extra spicy--it was almost unfeasibly hot yesterday.

I ate there last Monday night with some work colleagues and did not tell them anything about "extra spicy" and it was plenty hot. It was the most popular of the three dishes we shared (Kung Pao chicken and duck with taro were the two others).

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 22 2008, 10:13 AM) View Post
hmm the broth dish i referred to upthread also came in a huge bowl. slbunge, do you remember if they gave us additional small bowls?

We did not get additional small bowls.

Although at the time in the meal that it was served we had already placed another table in use for some of our dishes since we didn't know were to stop with the ordering.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#32 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:41 AM

dim sum at jun bo with parents today. everything was good, nothing was bad, nothing was spectacular. but at $23 per head it is way too expensive for what it is. i guess we don't have much choice here, but in l.a (and denver, for that matter) you can get much better dim sum for less money. and it's not like jun bo serves anything particularly out of the ordinary.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#33 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(SLBunge @ May 10 2008, 05:26 PM) View Post
Excellent meal last night at Tea House in Saint Paul. They have changed their main menu so now it includes the Szechuan items and the Americanized Chinese stuff. All of the dishes we ordered were listed as Szechuan items.

Dan dan noodles were good, but not as good as they are at Little Szechuan. Here they use angel hair pasta which has less tooth. They did bring it out in an appropriately sized bowl and they stirred the whole thing up for us.

Scallion pancakes were excellent. Expertly fried. Light and airy. Sauce was nothing special.

Boiled fish with tofu in a broth with lots of red pepper reminded me of the dish I had with Jones's last time we were at Little Szechuan. The fish was thinly sliced flounder. Lots of Napa cabbage wilted at the bottom of the bowl. Great flavor and not quite overwhelmingly spicy.

Szechuan style kun pao chicken was excellent. Boiled peanuts instead of roasted. Touch of sweetness to the dark sauce but not cloying. Really good food.

A really strong contender to the more familiar Little Szechuan. I need to return to each several times to continue the research.

lunch with the parents at tea house today. we got the dan dan noodles, the wontons in hot sauce, both types of soup dumplings, the seafood hot pot, and the ma po tofu. the ma po tofu was quite good, certainly better than little szechwan's. the dan dan noodles were good, but different--i think i prefer the little s version. however, what we'd most looked forward to were the wontons and the soup dumplings and neither were very good. the soup dumpling skins were too doughy, and there wasn't a whole lot of crab flavour in the soup. and the hot sauce the wontons were tossed in had too muddy and sweet a flavour. the seafood hot pot was alright.

as we were leaving mrs. jones noted she was not motivated to drive an extra 10 minutes to eat here rather than little szechwan, but then she noticed that the strip mall tea house is in also houses a box karaoke place. so i imagine we'll be back.

by the way, no one should rely on google maps to get to this place.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#34 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 27 2008, 06:03 PM) View Post

I should have warned you since I'm sure my experience driving down a residential street unable to find the address was similar to yours.

#35 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(SLBunge @ Jun 28 2008, 10:38 AM) View Post
QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 27 2008, 06:03 PM) View Post

I should have warned you since I'm sure my experience driving down a residential street unable to find the address was similar to yours.

at least you had the address....i only had google maps' directions scrawled on a piece of paper. luckily, we came across a very friendly mail carrier and she told us where it was.

~homer simpson

#36 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

dim sum with parents again today. this time at yangtze in st. louis park. this place was recommended to us by a colleague (she who often goes to little szechwan with us and slbunge); she herself having been taken there by her chinese immigration attorney. a bit of a schlep but we thought it was quite a bit better than jun bo. they had more variety, and most things tasted better and more freshly made. about the same price as our last meal at jun bo, but for better quality.

i think this will be our preferred dim sum destination in the metro area. but we really need to plan these eating drives better. had to get back in time for the euro 2008 final and so we did a 2 hour 100 mile round-trip for 45 minutes of dim sum.

~homer simpson

#37 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Sep 7 2008, 05:25 PM) View Post
st. paul farmers' market again today.

after the market (and jaunts to the whole foods on fairview and shuang hur on university) we ended up at little szechwan for lunch. felt odd to be there without slbunge, and even odder to not have to requisition a second table for the food (i guess we know who the pig in our regular party is). a nice lunch from the regular rotation: tendon in spicy oil, dan dan noodles, fish fillets in spicy tofu sauce, fish-flavoured chicken.

~homer simpson

#38 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

8 academics descended on little szechuan last night to put some fire in the belly for a marathon karaoke session in eagan (korean box karaoke, so very civilized)*. we ate from the greatest hits playbook, the only departures being the "couple's beef" app recommended by our waiter, and the cumin lamb (which we've got before but not often). the "couple's beef" was excellent--thin slices of beef and thicker slices of tripe in chilli oil. similar flavour to the tendon app, which was rendered somewhat redundant by it. the tripe had wonderful chewy texture. the lamb tasted good but again it felt like it would have been improved by being a little more crispy.

the karaoke place is attached to a korean restaurant which we might need to check out on our next outing.

*we have a one day midterm break today, and so drunken late-night caterwauling was possible.

~homer simpson

#39 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:47 AM

Aha. Something new to try.

#40 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:07 AM

yeah, i think we need to stride off the beaten path a little more often.

~homer simpson

#41 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

I should check this board more often. If I'm not here it's just the two of you.
Member #1232

#42 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:15 AM

we dropped a friend off to the airport this afternoon (after some excitement*) and combined it with a dim sum stop at jun bo. weekday dim sum seems to be the way to go. no carts, you order a la carte and everything comes out fresh from the kitchen. highlights: chicken feet, cold seaweed salad, cilantro dumplings, garlic shrimp dumplings, sticky rice, warm gingery tripe. the only thing that was a little blah was the pork and egg congee.

*the friend had dropped off another friend to the airport this morning and we were to get her from her apartment at noon. except on the way back from the airport, right after she got off the 35, she hit a patch of ice, skidded across the road, hit a snowbank and landed her car in a ditch. miraculously, there was no oncoming traffic and the snowbank she collided with probably kept her from rolling into the ditch. minimal damage to human and automobile bodies; she had to wait for a tow-truck to pull the car back on the road. a good midwestern couple across the way took her in, fed her tea and toast, helped her locate a tow-truck, and then drove her back to our village (since she was too adrenalin-rushed to drive).

~homer simpson

#43 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

A new place just opened up near my house. T'Lavender. The menu is a mix of Thai, Chinese, and Vietnamese. Most of the standards are there like Pho, Hong Kong style noodles, Vietnamese pancake, Tom Yum soup, etc.

Althought I don't know the address, it's right next to Fat Nats which is:

3540 Winnetka Ave N
New Hope, MN 55427

I haven't been dissappointed yet and I've been there three times already. Prices are suburban spendy, which means everything is about a buck more than it would be on eat street.
Member #1232

#44 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

so, to mark the parasite's first week outside the host body we took him to little szechwan for dinner last night. while he slumbered we ate. they have a special chinese new year's menu. actually, the specialness is in doubt. we ordered a couple of things from it on the assumption that this menu might no longer be operational by the time we make it back, but our waitress seemed to indicate that it was going to be around permanently. but perhaps she thought we were asking if it was only available till a certain point last night. who knows? my skills with language have deteriorated in the last week. i did check her diaper and it was clean.

the meal: dan dan noodles and green beans from the regular menu, and from the new year menu chengdu style head-on shrimp (crispy-fried and swimming in chili oil with sliced lettuce etc.) and boiled lamb in a hot broth with chinese lettuce and celery. all very good, with a special mention for the lamb.

we also got a bunch of favourites to go from the regular menu and have frozen them for coming weeks and months in which the parasite may no longer be as cooperative in public places.

it was good to see the place packed on a friday night. we got there at about 8.10 and had to wait for about 10 minutes for a table; there were others waiting too. however, in a sign that we were still in minnesota the crowd had thinned out considerably by 9. the other thing we liked: loads of east asian and indian families with children of all sizes and ages; the thing we absolutely didn't like: no amenities in the restroom for diaper changes.

~homer simpson

#45 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

I'm still stuffed from dim sum at Jun Bo today with the Drs. Jones, their new puppy, and one of their colleagues.

Next time I'm going to have to take notes.

The tripe with scallion was very good. The fried garlic dumplings were still excellent. I liked the crisp-fried taro dumpling. I'm not sure why I wasn't sold on the jellyfish salad today because I've enjoyed it before.

I'm glad we got the pumpkin cakes for dessert at the end even though I was entirely too full.