99 replies to this topic

#91 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,307 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

a couple of weeks ago we finally ate at szechuan in roseville. it opened around the same time as grand szechuan but some iffy early reports had made me wary. well, we quite liked the food. they don't have quite as extensive a sichuan menu as grand szechuan but everything we got was done very well (and some things a little differently). i'd put it above tea house and little szechuan and alongside szechuan spice (which has an even tinier sichuan menu). fuller writeup here.

five decent to very good sichuan restaurants in the twin cities. now if only we could get a proper hunan restaurant and better dim sum.

preservedpork.jpg

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#92 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,307 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

here is a report on (mostly) off-the-beaten-path items eaten at a number of meals at grand szechuan over the year so far. includes some things from the regular menu that we hadn't tried before, some off-menu items listed in english in an innocuous part of the restaurant a bunch of items from a chinese-only menu near the entrance. pork brains? check.

beefpeanuts.jpg?w=576&h=432

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#93 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

here is a report on (mostly) off-the-beaten-path items eaten at a number of meals at grand szechuan over the year so far. includes some things from the regular menu that we hadn't tried before, some off-menu items listed in english in an innocuous part of the restaurant a bunch of items from a chinese-only menu near the entrance. pork brains? check.

beefpeanuts.jpg?w=576&h=432

Some of the dishes in the slideshow look great & I've never seen them around here.  The above dish w/peanuts, the taro dish & the "other" crispy chicken dish look especially interesting and I'm going to keep an eye out for them.  I've had scrambled brains (not referring here to my own internal problems) in other venues and find them to be non-interesting… texture too much like scrambled eggs & without as much taste.  Other than the saucing, was this tastier?  Thanks for the slides by the way.  I find it much easier to look at a dish than to read about it.

This space available… contact owner.

#94 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:58 PM

five decent to very good sichuan restaurants in the twin cities. now if only we could get a proper hunan restaurant and better dim sum.

Is there a proper Hunan restaurant anywhere in the fucking US?

#95 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,307 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

Is there a proper Hunan restaurant anywhere in the fucking US?

well, if you're willing to go to the sgv there's hunan style and hunan mao for starters.

~homer simpson

#96 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,307 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

another annual roundup of grand szechuan, the best chinese restaurant of any kind in the twin cities, and probably across most of the midwest.

we ate some things this year that we'd somehow never got to before and quite liked them: peanuts and diced tofu in chilli sauce; a cold noodle dish that we managed to sneak past the boys and their insistence on dan dan noodles etc.

fish-and-tofu-chilli-broth.jpg

~homer simpson

#97 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

We got carry-out from the Tea House on Christmas Eve. The restaurant is on University Ave and quite close to our house but I've never been there.

I thought the food was good, particularly the cumin lamb. The eldest of the boys is somewhat adventurous but the others aren't so our selections were fairly pedestrian.

The place was packed at 8pm and there were about 25 people waiting for tables. 

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#98 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,307 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

here is the 2017 edition of my annual grand szechuan roundup. we were there for a blowout meal with a group of friends on sunday--got on dish that was absolutely new to us (vermicelli with ground pork--very good) and some others we hadn't gotten in a long time and which we enjoyed very much (crispy and spicy/sweet/salty country style chicken, and crisp fried pig intestines).

vermicelli-ground-pork.jpg

~homer simpson

#99 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,307 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

we went back to szechuan in roseville recently. their menu has been revamped and at time of our visit were touting something called "west coast szechuan cuisine". as sichuan is not on the coast, i deduced that this must be a reference to california. and this was borne out by the fact that this section of the menu listed dishes from the new wave of sichuan cuisine that's hit california in the last 4-5 years. full of hope, we set out. reality was a little disappointing.

skewers.jpg

~homer simpson

#100 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,307 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

we went back to tea house recently and liked our meal quite a bit more than our previous there almost three years ago. they now have dishes from other regions on the menu as well but we stuck with sichuan. well worth a look if you're in minneapolis and looking for some good chinese food. full review here.

house-spicy-tofu.jpg

~homer simpson