244 replies to this topic

#211 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:37 PM

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a prig, but taking non-pubic transportation in a city just goes against my beliefs.  I really don't do it.  I know I sound awful saying that.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#212 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:47 PM

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a prig, but taking non-pubic transportation in a city just goes against my beliefs.  I really don't do it.  I know I sound awful saying that.

I think you meant "public".  Of course, that's your call.  You don't sound awful, you just sound like you added a factor that is specific to you & not really relevant to the overall reality of the situation for most others.  Just like folks might prefer to wait for their table at a closer by place in their area of Manhattan instead of riding those same minutes to a more out of the way place.  The point is that, barring created obstacles & preferences, above average food can be found in NYC for less than $100pp and you've written up one that even I forgot about for the past several years.

This space available… contact owner.

#213 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

That must have been Freudian.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#214 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

Part of the reason that you live in a city, though, is that for your random Wednesday night dinner you don't have to drive or take an Uber 20 to 30 minutes to find a decent place to grab a reasonably priced dinner. And, yes, that you can find places within walking distance in a relatively modern style that fit this bill. I live in a city considerably less dense that NYC or Brooklyn (though I guess still dense by most standards) and this is still the case (in addition to less trendy places where a good meal is possible). I guess when I lived in NYC this was not just possible in a downtown or Brooklyn neighbourhood but the standard. The city was practically overflowing with these places. It wasn't perfect, but this space was pretty well served. If that's no longer the case, the fact that this amenity, that used to be a fundamental amenity of the city, has been replaced by a 20 to 30 minute uber ride to a restaurant that is serving a particular regional style in that kind of room, is a big deal.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#215 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

Otway!  (Just to be honest.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#216 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

But that's really the point I was trying to make.  My own idiosyncratic misgivings aside, if you have to take a cab ride (or a long subway ride) to a "replacement" meal, it's no longer a "replacement" meal.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#217 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, agreeing with you. Your idiosyncratic preferences are pretty descriptive of the preferences of people who choose to live their entire lives in dense urban environments.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#218 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

Part of the reason that you live in a city, though, is that for your random Wednesday night dinner you don't have to drive or take an Uber 20 to 30 minutes to find a decent place to grab a reasonably priced dinner. And, yes, that you can find places within walking distance in a relatively modern style that fit this bill. I live in a city considerably less dense that NYC or Brooklyn (though I guess still dense by most standards) and this is still the case (in addition to less trendy places where a good meal is possible). I guess when I lived in NYC this was not just possible in a downtown or Brooklyn neighbourhood but the standard. The city was practically overflowing with these places. It wasn't perfect, but this space was pretty well served. If that's no longer the case, the fact that this amenity, that used to be a fundamental amenity of the city, has been replaced by a 20 to 30 minute uber ride to a restaurant that is serving a particular regional style in that kind of room, is a big deal.

You are 100% correct.  Having been raised in Bklyn & not Manhattan, it was always a ½ hour or more to get to any decent place.  Then the food explosion & the "New Brooklyn" happened and everyone thought that the new normal you described would be with us forever.  As a village elder, I remember the city amenity you describe as a brief period of time that is now gone again.  Living in some areas of Manhattan or Bklyn Hts. or several other specific neighborhoods allow for this to continue but the static greatly outweighs the music in even these places.  

#219 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

I live in one of the more expensive parts of brooklyn (2nd or 3rd probably) and there are maybe three places within walking distance (20 mins) where the food is worth what they charge for it. theres also three places that serve a decent burger, but only two of them have beer Ill drink and one of those cant cook a burger properly a third of the time. not sure if thats a new development or not but it sucks.

eta: theres also a good taco place with shitty beer if youre willing to eat outside.

#220 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:17 PM

But the problem is, as discussed in some other thread, this is becoming a problem not just in Brooklyn, but in Manhattan as well.  In other words, it isn't Brooklyn reverting to Old Brooklyn, but a structural problem with NYC dining right now.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#221 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:20 PM

But that's really the point I was trying to make.  My own idiosyncratic misgivings aside, if you have to take a cab ride (or a long subway ride) to a "replacement" meal, it's no longer a "replacement" meal.

But you also said the food really wasn't that good - I mean, not even up to Parkside standards.

#222 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

I know, Im just giving adrian more data.

#223 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

Now we're all in basic agreement.  I'm just the only one (& sometimes Lex) saying that this isn't a new thing but the norm -- except for a 10 or so year period that you all luckily stepped into.

#224 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

I know, Im just giving adrian more data.

Sorry, I was responding to Steve.  You cross-posted.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#225 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

park slope is definitely worse than it was even three years ago.