244 replies to this topic

#226 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:29 PM

But that's really the point I was trying to make.  My own idiosyncratic misgivings aside, if you have to take a cab ride (or a long subway ride) to a "replacement" meal, it's no longer a "replacement" meal.

But you also said the food really wasn't that good - I mean, not even up to Parkside standards.

Sneak & you clearly have higher standards vis a vis Italian food.  And probably several others as well.  However, I didn't take his review to say that the food "wasn't really that good" but more that the skill didn't approach that of high end places.  Parkside is better than Manducatis and so are several other places.  But their food is above the crap that I've been getting at a # of trendy places with great reviews charging much more for much less.

This space available… contact owner.

#227 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

park slope is definitely worse than it was even three years ago.

Absolutely.  So's Smith St (well, 5-7 years ago), Atlantic Ave and a # of other upscale Brooklyn neighborhoods.

This space available… contact owner.

#228 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:33 PM

Now we're all in basic agreement.  I'm just the only one (& sometimes Lex) saying that this isn't a new thing but the norm -- except for a 10 or so year period that you all luckily stepped into.

And what a great ten year period that was.  But, yes, if you have to schlup somewhere to get a decent meal at a decent cost, then one of the major reasons to live in NYC (at least for dining) is lost (IMHO).  (the sheer diversity of ethnic dining is still an argument)

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#229 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:32 PM

I am the last person to judge, but driving won't sit well with the wine list for some people.

But it's near a subway; just depends where one is coming from. I mean, restaurants in Sneak's immediate neighborhood aren't convenient for me.

#230 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

But that's really the point I was trying to make.  My own idiosyncratic misgivings aside, if you have to take a cab ride (or a long subway ride) to a "replacement" meal, it's no longer a "replacement" meal.

But you also said the food really wasn't that good - I mean, not even up to Parkside standards.

Sneak & you clearly have higher standards vis a vis Italian food.  And probably several others as well.  However, I didn't take his review to say that the food "wasn't really that good" but more that the skill didn't approach that of high end places.  Parkside is better than Manducatis and so are several other places.  But their food is above the crap that I've been getting at a # of trendy places with great reviews charging much more for much less.

Name names!

Overall, I do think that economics (rising costs for both restaurant and consumer) are both stifling creativity and putting mediocrity into perspective. But, I have enough faith in NYC to bet that if you named a neighborhood, we could find an above-decent restaurant or several worth visiting from a neighborhood over or even, gasp, from another borough.

#231 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

Now we're all in basic agreement.  I'm just the only one (& sometimes Lex) saying that this isn't a new thing but the norm -- except for a 10 or so year period that you all luckily stepped into.

And what a great ten year period that was.  But, yes, if you have to schlup somewhere to get a decent meal at a decent cost, then one of the major reasons to live in NYC (at least for dining) is lost (IMHO).  (the sheer diversity of ethnic dining is still an argument)

I am going to say it's harder to get a good meal at reasonable cost in the EV now than it was 10 years ago. Demonstrating that is another thing. Good places closed, those that replaced them are not as good, or are surprisingly expensive.

#232 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

Name names!

Overall, I do think that economics (rising costs for both restaurant and consumer) are both stifling creativity and putting mediocrity into perspective. But, I have enough faith in NYC to bet that if you named a neighborhood, we could find an above-decent restaurant or several worth visiting from a neighborhood over or even, gasp, from another borough.
park slope. whats better than decent or worth visiting from another neighborhood?

#233 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:46 AM

<snip> 

Not Inwood, that's for sure. Not Riverdale. And maybe not Washington Heights, although we haven't tried many places. But I doubt there are many, if any, "above-decent" restaurants there. Unless you like Dominican roast chicken, of course.

You need to travel more within the city. ;)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#234 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:12 AM

Park Slope: If I lived in Boerum Hill or Prospect Heights, I'd be happy making the trip to al di la or Bricolage. And I think Katsuei stands up against many far more expensive sushi spots (of course, there's one in the West Village now).

Riverdale: Liebman's Deli, with a nostalgic walk to the lesser Loeser's in Kingsbridge. But of course, if we're talking about almost any other type of restaurant, I wouldn't have the faintest idea except to say maybe head to the South Bronx for West African or to Arthur Avenue...

#235 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:34 AM

I dont like al di la at all and the last meal I had there wasnt worth what it cost, I know many people disagree.

bricolage is decent and probably the best restaurant in park slope at this point, but I wouldnt travel for it and the original bunker was doing a much better job of the same thing.

katsuei ends up being more than $100 a head at which point Id rather go elsewhere.

#236 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:20 AM

Liebman's? Not worth even a short bus ride. And definitely note Loeser.

ETA: Oops. I think there's some confusion because I missed an error I made: I meant to say definitely NOT Loeser.

Edited by Suzanne F, 18 April 2018 - 01:55 PM.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#237 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:37 AM

I live in Prospect Heights, and this is what I have to say about what's worth walking to and paying for in Park Slope:  Nargis.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#238 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:38 AM

But it's near a subway; just depends where one is coming from. I mean, restaurants in Sneak's immediate neighborhood aren't convenient for me.

But the point is that Manducatis was being posited as a solution to the "replacement restaurant" problem. For "replacement restaurants", it doesn't matter how near they are to a subway. "Replacement meals" shouldn't require a subway ride (if they do, they're "destination" meals).  (For years, I agonized over whether to present Franny's -- one of the best and most important restaurants in New York -- as a "destination" restaurant or not.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#239 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:10 AM

I live in Prospect Heights, and this is what I have to say about what's worth walking to and paying for in Park Slope:  Nargis.

NOTE TO AARONS:  I'll be looking for you at the bar.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#240 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

Liebman's? Not worth even a short bus ride. And definitely note Loeser.

Had the worst rugelach I've ever had there. They looked so tempting in the window but we're just awful No idea about the food though.