Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,558 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Sep 2 2008, 11:11 AM) View Post
Cerny Kohout

So I went to see the great revival of A Walk Worth Taking -- a 60s pop opera originally put on at the famous alternative theater the Semafor -- at the National Theater. (It's such a huge hit it's still playing more than a year after it's debut in the stagione here. They should tour it.) This presented an opportunity to revisit Cerny Kohout, and to try to rectify my previous ordering mistake.

I opened this time with a salmon pate with crabmeat, served alongside a cod liver emulsion (yes: they are making food out of the most famously distateful item in world gastronomy!). This seemed as far away from traditional Czech cuisine as possible, since only William Shakespeare and possibly OTB would think a fish like salmon would be native to the Czech Republic. It was a good dish (don't tell my mother, but I loved that cod liver emulsion!). But still in the rather amateurish, unslick, "New Brooklyn" style I had noted in my first visit.

Then, on to something described as larded carp. (Carp, unlike salmon, is WAY native here.) As far as I can tell, larded meant rolled with slices of Prague Ham. Since you can barely get a piece of fish that isn't served with a pork product in New York these days, I felt right at home. Another good dish, also in the unslick, slightly amateurish style.

I guess I think this is a good place -- I'd be happy to return yet again -- but not great. Again like the "New Brooklyn" restaurants, if it were somewhere else, with a lot of better restaurants, people wouldn't get as excited about it.

Are you home yet?

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Yep.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

Amazing city. Unfortunate amount of rain. Beer tastes like beer.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#34 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

It's like Prima Pils (but much better): it tastes like beer -- but as good as that kind of taste can taste!

(Also, wait till it's hot and sunny rather than raining . . . .)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#35 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

Mr firend took me to Ambient restaurant. It's an odd Tex-mexish steak place, but very nice. Had the ribs, which were excellent. You can have your Niman ranch. These were porky, well spiced and tender. Everything else just ok, but perfectly enjoyable. I also had a terrific schnitzel at La Colonial near the jewish quarter. I was told to avoid the high-end places, which are not very good
Since it's august, most of the locals are out on holiday. The streets bars and restaurants near old town and wenceslas are filled with tourists.

The Brits are just a bunch of drunks, aren't they? Wherever u go in the tourist areas you can here them yelling My Italian friend in London said, "in Italy, after work we go home, change and meet to have some wine and dinner. Here they, just go to the pubs and get drunk. The women get so drunk that they can't walk in heels, and go around barefoot. I guess it's kind of good, because they don't care at all how they dress, so I don't need to do all the primping as in Italy and I still look better than the drunk English girls."

#36 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Mr firend took me to Ambient restaurant. It's an odd Tex-mexish steak place, but very nice. Had the ribs, which were excellent. You can have your Niman ranch. These were porky, well spiced and tender. Everything else just ok, but perfectly enjoyable. I also had a terrific schnitzel at La Colonial near the jewish quarter. I was told to avoid the high-end places, which are not very good
Since it's august, most of the locals are out on holiday. The streets bars and restaurants near old town and wenceslas are filled with tourists.

The Brits are just a bunch of drunks, aren't they? Wherever u go in the tourist areas you can here them yelling My Italian friend in London said, "in Italy, after work we go home, change and meet to have some wine and dinner. Here they, just go to the pubs and get drunk. The women get so drunk that they can't walk in heels, and go around barefoot. I guess it's kind of good, because they don't care at all how they dress, so I don't need to do all the primping as in Italy and I still look better than the drunk English girls."

Airfares from London, Manchester etc are so cheap that bachelor parties are often arranged in places like Prague, where the beer is cheap, rooms can be cheap. There were young British gentlemen sprawled all over the bars in Old Town from early afternoon though at least late evening...
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#37 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

remarkably so - although as RP notes Prague is a big stag party destination. It is a bit like going to Nola and saying "all americans are drunks"
although in this case there is a bit of truth to that statement.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#38 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Airfares from London, Manchester etc are so cheap that bachelor parties are often arranged in places like Prague, where the beer is cheap, rooms can be cheap. There were young British gentlemen sprawled all over the bars in Old Town from early afternoon though at least late evening...

The Brits do that bachelor/hen party shit in Dublin too. Luckily they usually confine themselves to Temple Bar, so they can be avoided.

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#39 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

What's the deal with hen parties? Don't these women have any self respect.

Bonner, I spent five days in London. I stand by my assessment. Drunks all of them.

#40 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

The Brits do that bachelor/hen party shit in Dublin too. Luckily they usually confine themselves to Temple Bar, so they can be avoided.

there are a few cities in eastern europe that were contemplating measures to keep the stag parties out.

#41 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

According to one site I read, some of the bars in old town tried banning stag parties, but eventually realized that they were passing up a lot of money. I'm just happy that Americans don't act like that when they travel.

#42 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

According to one site I read, some of the bars in old town tried banning stag parties, but eventually realized that they were passing up a lot of money. I'm just happy that Americans don't act like that when they travel.

OH HI WE'RE AMERICAN.

Listen I'm gonna make this easy for everyone - we all know Australians are the worst travellers.

#43 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

What's the deal with hen parties? Don't these women have any self respect.

Nope

Bonner, I spent five days in London. I stand by my assessment. Drunks all of them.

I actually deleted something I didn't mean to - yes they are - but not as bad as what you saw in Prague. I saw more nicely dressed 30's ish woman vomiting after a night out then I could possibly imagine.

#44 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

Prague is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited, and were it not for having members of my party targetted twice by assholes (once specifically because we were Asian, the other probably because they thought we were naive Asians), I'd go back in a minute. As it is, I would not return unless I were with a man, preferably a Caucasian one.

#45 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

Prague is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited, and were it not for having members of my party targetted twice by assholes (once specifically because we were Asian, the other probably because they thought we were naive Asians), I'd go back in a minute. As it is, I would not return unless I were with a man, preferably a Caucasian one.

One of my best friends was just traveling through Central Europe with his South Asian girlfriend. If anything I think that combination provoked even more racist commentary. In Zurich some guy out and out called her a prostitute - because that's the only reason why a white dude would be with someone like her.