2474 replies to this topic

#46 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:58 PM

He was exec chef at the Blue Door in the Delano in Miami. I was underwhelmed.

Me too.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#47 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:25 PM

Union Pacific

#48 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:36 PM

Not a big surprise, is it, somehow? How the once terribly promising have fallen. Only, what?, four years since DiSpirito was named the most promising young chef (OK, only by a mag, but there was so much hope there).
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#49 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:40 PM

In addition to his restaurants, Mr. DiSpirito wrote books and has been making frequent appearances on television, including selling sausages on the QVC shopping network.

You think this is a compliment?

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#50 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:44 PM

No, and speaking about him in the past tense about his books is a little icky.

Fabricant and Burros are digging their claws in that's a cert.

#51 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:56 PM

According to Food & Wine's profile on Tourondel, he "[w]orked at Ledoyen, Paris; Potel & Chabot, Moscow; Troisgros, Roanne, France; C.T., New York City". It would seem an omission for the article to mention Tourondel worked at Roanne, but not CT (more directly relevant to the article).

http://www.foodandwi...69FA1F21E4D3B6F

Funny Tourondel never mentions what his roles at Troisgros were, even though his involvement with the Troisgros appears substantial. That's better than a lot of chef's overstatement of their roles at French three-stars. A prime example of the latter is Sumile's chef.

#52 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:29 PM

slny says Patria to close:

http://www.shelovesn...slny092304.html
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#53 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:20 PM

I think a number of other restaurants are doomed if table availability on OpenTable is an indication.

For this Saturday evening, reservations are still available between 7:30 and 9:30 at
21, Aqua Pazza, Aix, Amuse, Annisa, Acquavit, Arabelle, Artisinal, Aureole and Avra and that is just the "A"'s.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#54 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:24 PM

Funnily enough, I was looking for something at short notice tonight, did a very general search, and was amazed at how many tables were open mid evening. I should have thought we over summer and into a busier season now.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#55 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:32 PM

Goodness. I thought it might've lasted forever.

#56 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:58 PM

From looking at OpenTable for reservation availability for this week, for Death Pool purposes, I'll predict that Rick Moonen's RM will close in the not too distant future.

There are tables available for every night this week at virtually any time including a 1000 pt bonus on Saturday night at 9:30 PM.

Interestingly enough, his alma mater, Oceana, doesn't appear to be doing much better.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#57 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:16 PM

You need to consider the discount as a percentage of the average check. $10 out of a meal for two at Steak Frites is probably a lot more significant than at Oceana.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#58 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:28 PM

Goodness. I thought it might've lasted forever.

I walked by Patria today and it looks shut. It's not open for lunch anyway; tables and chairs strewn all over the place, and black bags piled everywhere. Too bad, as we wanted to go one last time.

#59 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:59 AM

From looking at OpenTable for reservation availability for this week, for Death Pool purposes, I'll predict that Rick Moonen's RM will close in the not too distant future.

There are tables available for every night this week at virtually any time including a 1000 pt bonus on Saturday night at 9:30 PM.

Interestingly enough, his alma mater, Oceana, doesn't appear to be doing much better.

He's opening in Vegas in a couple of months. At the Mandalay Bay
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#60 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:48 AM

He's opening in Vegas in a couple of months. At the Mandalay Bay

I wonder if Moonen will actually be in the kitchen in LV, or do fly-by managing? It would make sense for him to be there for a few months to launch the place, so closing NY could make sense

Several LV chefs actually live there, and regularly oversee their restaurants. Julian Serrano of Picasso and Bradley Ogden are in that group. Many others (Puck, Spilchal, Emeril, etc) visit every few weeks to make sure the joint's still there.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.