#391 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

That's very cool.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#392 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,826 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Out of all the books purchased from Amazon over the years
Matchbook offered me a bean cookbook for $2.99. Hardy har har Amazon. I guess it's good for the orphans who paint the beans

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#393 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,247 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

How do they do it? Volume!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#394 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

yeah, it was announced as "coming" a few months ago.

the selection is a matter of the publishers agreeing to make the Kindle version eligible (and they hate Amazon to begin with)....thus the bean cookbook.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#395 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Gee, I got the bean book suggestion too!

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#396 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

With the Kindle, is there a way to read the end of the book then go back to wherever you were before you wanted to read the ending?

That's how I read real books, and I'd like to do it with my Kindle, too.

#397 theclash

theclash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

There is a bookmark option, on the paperwhite you just tap the upper right corner.

#398 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

well it's kind of  nice - there have been a few cases over the past years where i've bought both the e- and real version of a book so i'd have it at home and on-the-go.

man, i need a headache

#399 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

Ah, that's what the bookmark is for! The app for my phone has a tap, the kindle is a refurbished model which requires a little more effort, but bookmarking is very useful. I am now learning how to use the highlighting function.

#400 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

I’ve had a Kindle 4 since 2012 and it was getting a bit long in the tooth.  It has physical switches that are used to page forward and backward and while I found them convenient to use after hundreds of thousands of presses I noticed they weren’t as smooth as they were originally. 

Devices don’t live forever.  Sometimes they just fade away gradually, leaving you plenty of time to smoothly replace them.  Others die abruptly and inconveniently.  I figured I’d be proactive.

The 3rd generation Paperwhite caught my eye.  It has a touch screen, something I had mixed feelings about.  Something I had no mixed feelings about was the backlit screen.  Under good lighting conditions the older Kindle displayed text perfectly but if the light wasn’t positioned perfectly I needed to make the overall room lighting brighter than I’d prefer.  This was a classic first world problem but gradually I began to really want to dim those lights.

The Paperwhite normally sells for $120 but Amazon has frequent sales when you can get one for $90.  That price was pretty much irresistible.  I set a Google alert to tell me when the next sale occurred and bought one about six weeks ago.

Setup was dead easy.  I just followed the on screen prompts and entered the password for our home wi-fi.  My recent books were downloaded automatically.  I had to manually request some of my older titles.  They appeared in my Kindle library but I had to click on them for them to be downloaded.  I was pleased to see that the Kindle didn’t favor the books I purchased from Amazon.  My free books were equally easy to download.

The backlight works perfectly.  It has lots of settings so it’s easy for find one that suits.  There are additional fonts available and you can tweak their size and boldness to find a pleasing combination.

My concerns about the touch screen were unfounded.  Page turns are done by quick taps to the right or left side of the screen.  I prefer that to swipes (which also work.)  The screen itself has a slight texture to its surface.  In practice this eliminates the annoying type of smudging that appears on smartphone screens.   I’ve come to prefer navigating through touches vs. the old switches.

Tapping at the top of the screen produces a link to various menus.  There’s an icon to a home screen and a second tap takes you there.  Unlike the home screen on the previous Kindle this one contains a small amount of advertising, a slight annoyance.  Another click takes you directly into your main Kindle library where you can select any of your books like you did before.  Since this is something you only do occasionally the extra click isn’t onerous.

During the first few weeks of use I had some concerns about battery life.  My old Kindle lasted 2 weeks on a charge.  Initially I had to charge my new  Kindle every 2 days.  I wondered if that was the price I was paying for that handy backlight.

Then magically battery life got lots better.  I’m back to around 2 weeks on a charge.

If your old Kindle is showing signs of wear the Paperwhite is a nice replacement.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#401 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,270 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:31 PM

After three Kindles died on me, I now use the Kindle app on my phone. No problems.

Could the screen be bigger? Sure, but I read so much on my phone anyway it's not a big deal.

#402 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:07 AM

Kim, get an Kobo Aura One.  Totally open market and very good hardware/firmware.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#403 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

And only 2 and a half times more than a Kindle. 

Finally the answer to the question "Now that SONY no longer makes e-readers, what can I buy if I refuse to get a Kindle.  Price is no object."

39746788701_c933bf18b7_o.jpg

#404 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

I've been using my older Kindle to drive music / radio from Tune-In, and TV programming via Passport.  Works perfectly.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#405 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

I didn't realize you could do that.  Which model do you have?