47 replies to this topic

#1 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:21 AM

One thing I'll miss when I move is my cozy steam heat radiators. The new place currently has two ugly-ass baseboard electric heaters: one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They truly are as ugly as evil itself, and I plan to have the guys who will be refinishing the floors rip them out. The current occupants say they are not very effective, anyway.

My current thinking is to heat the place using the fireplace and space heaters. (I know space heaters are not very attractive, either, but there has never been a space heater made which is as ugly as these baseboard units.)

So the question is, can anyone recommend a space heater? Or even a kind of space heater? I once had one of those oil-filled radiator types, but it didn't generate much heat. I also had one of those electric-coil-with-a-fan ones, but it stopped working after a couple of weeks.

It rarely freezes in San Francisco, but it often comes close in January and February. Help me stay toasty!

(Yes, I do realize what day and time it is, but I wanted to post this while I was thinking of it. I'll pop it up again at a time when there's a chance people will actually see it.)

Thanks in advance,

Squeat
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#2 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Nov 21 2007, 10:21 PM) View Post
One thing I'll miss when I move is my cozy steam heat radiators. The new place currently has two ugly-ass baseboard electric heaters: one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They truly are as ugly as evil itself, and I plan to have the guys who will be refinishing the floors rip them out. The current occupants say they are not very effective, anyway.

My current thinking is to heat the place using the fireplace and space heaters. (I know space heaters are not very attractive, either, but there has never been a space heater made which is as ugly as these baseboard units.)

So the question is, can anyone recommend a space heater? Or even a kind of space heater? I once had one of those oil-filled radiator types, but it didn't generate much heat. I also had one of those electric-coil-with-a-fan ones, but it stopped working after a couple of weeks.

It rarely freezes in San Francisco, but it often comes close in January and February. Help me stay toasty!

(Yes, I do realize what day and time it is, but I wanted to post this while I was thinking of it. I'll pop it up again at a time when there's a chance people will actually see it.)

Thanks in advance,

Squeat

Get yourself a couple of Vornados. Each one, approx $80, can roast a turkey in any room with a door without noise and taking up very little space. Nothing like it.

curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Nov 21 2007, 10:21 PM) View Post

Thanks in advance,

Squeat

I had one of these and it worked great for cooling in NYC summer and taking the chill off the room in winter. Delonghi makes one as well but it's much more expensive.
Haier-Conditioner-Heater

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#4 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE(Rose @ Nov 21 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post
Get yourself a couple of Vornados. Each one, approx $80, can roast a turkey in any room with a door without noise and taking up very little space. Nothing like it.

Wow, thanks, Rose! They're not even ugly! Kind of cool-looking, in fact. I'm checking them out right now...
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#5 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ Nov 21 2007, 07:44 PM) View Post
I had one of these and it worked great for cooling in NYC summer and taking the chill off the room in winter. Delonghi makes one as well but it's much more expensive.
Haier-Conditioner-Heater

Another great option... thanks, splinky! Guess I posted at a good time after all!

#6 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Nov 21 2007, 10:49 PM) View Post

Wow, thanks, Rose! They're not even ugly! Kind of cool-looking, in fact. I'm checking them out right now...

Listen to Rose. I'm always cold and have these to supplement the heat. They are miracles.
Future Legacy Participant.

#7 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:45 AM

We've had one of those Vornados forever, going back 25 yrs to when the boiler went out in our NYC apt bldg. I"ll add to the chorus.

I'm surprised by your comment on the oil-filled plug-in radiators, though, I've found that they also work very well. Maybe you got a lemon. Depending on your space, having a fan (Vornado) blowing constantly can get annoying & the "passive" heat of a radiator is a nice alternative. We used a couple of those to warm our bedroom for several nights when our furnace blew in the dead of winter & the oil company was backed up with repairs & couldn't get to us for 4 days. OK it took 2 of them but they did the job.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:32 AM

I had one of those radiator things in my old apartment and it was great.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#9 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

You guys rock!

Thanks so much. Now the plan is: Vornado(s) in the living room, and an oil-filled radiator for the bedroom.

That should work out quite well, I think.

DeLonghi for the radiator? Or is there a better make/model?

#10 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

http://www.pelonis.com/discfurn.htm

I use a Pelonis HC451. It can run with or without a fan and draws very little power. I heated a 12x15 uninsulated area from 30 to 70 in about 10 mins the other night..smoked my cigar in a t shirt..smile.gif

It looks pretty similar spec wise to the Vornado.

2 things you want to look at..make sure it is the "right size" for the area you want to heat or the thing will just not work. Make sure it has "tip over" protection. The space heaters of old didn't and were a fire hazard. The new versions like Pelonis and Vornado will instantly shut off off they fall over..very important

#11 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Nov 22 2007, 02:09 AM) View Post
DeLonghi for the radiator? Or is there a better make/model?

We got Pattons cuz that's what our local hardware had in stock when we needed them. They were fine.

I still have a Patton floor fan (like a Vornados w/o the heat) that I bought 35 years ago. Those babies are workhorses. I was happy to see their name on those radiator gizmos.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#12 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:43 PM

So, how loud is the Vornado?

I'm sitting here huddled by my Black and Decker space heater and thinking there must be a better way.
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."

#13 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(GalPalJoan @ Nov 22 2007, 12:43 PM) View Post
So, how loud is the Vornado?

I'm sitting here huddled by my Black and Decker space heater and thinking there must be a better way.

They're fairly quiet.
Future Legacy Participant.

#14 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

Rose, thanks so much. I got one for the new bedroom and I love it! Heats up the whole room in no time, and it even has a remote control! smile.gif

I'm going to get another one for the living room, as soon as I figure out a drape or other solution for the doorway between the living room and hallway... no use trying to heat up the hallway and stairwell along with the room.

#15 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Dec 21 2007, 03:53 PM) View Post

Rose, thanks so much. I got one for the new bedroom and I love it! Heats up the whole room in no time, and it even has a remote control! smile.gif

I'm going to get another one for the living room, as soon as I figure out a drape or other solution for the doorway between the living room and hallway... no use trying to heat up the hallway and stairwell along with the room.

Maybe I got a lemon. I've had mine for a few weeks now. It's quiet, but even on high it's not even able to heat up my kitchen. I'm surprised and disappointed. I was hoping it would do a better job of taking the chill off. On a happier note, I figured out what was wrong with my pellet stove (clogged air vent) and it's blowing out heat like never before--it's just so unbelievably noisy.
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."