#16 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE(GalPalJoan @ Dec 21 2007, 07:46 PM) View Post
Maybe I got a lemon. I've had mine for a few weeks now. It's quiet, but even on high it's not even able to heat up my kitchen. I'm surprised and disappointed. I was hoping it would do a better job of taking the chill off. On a happier note, I figured out what was wrong with my pellet stove (clogged air vent) and it's blowing out heat like never before--it's just so unbelievably noisy.

Joan, I'm sorry to hear that! Did you get this model? That's the one I got, and it works like a charm in the bedroom. Is your kitchen open to other spaces? I think it might not work as well in that case.

ETA: Like Rose said, I could almost literally roast a turkey in the bedroom with my unit. I fell asleep with it on the other night and woke up sweating from the heat when it was about 40 degrees outside.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#17 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:51 AM

Neil, I'm glad you brought this up, because I really need one of these for our bedroom. Our heating bills are way too high. Our bedroom is over the garage and the floor is uninsulated, making the bedroom the coldest room in the house by a good 10 degrees on a cold night.

#18 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE(KRamsey @ Dec 22 2007, 07:51 PM) View Post
Neil, I'm glad you brought this up, because I really need one of these for our bedroom. Our heating bills are way too high. Our bedroom is over the garage and the floor is uninsulated, making the bedroom the coldest room in the house by a good 10 degrees on a cold night.

Kathy, insulating the ceiling of a garage isn't too difficult if you have a ladder, maybe a few 2x6 pieces of lumber, staple gun, and a few rolls of insulation. For a typical, two bay garage, the cost should be under $200. If the garage ceiling has studs, you should be able to do the job with just a staple gun.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#19 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:36 AM

Good advice, as usual, Paul. Also, Kathy, you may want to wait until I can report on my PG&E bill. I've been running the thing with wild abandon, since it's been so cold, but I have no idea how much I'll end up having to pay for it.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#20 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Dec 21 2007, 12:36 AM) View Post
Good advice, as usual, Paul. Also, Kathy, you may want to wait until I can report on my PG&E bill. I've been running the thing with wild abandon, since it's been so cold, but I have no idea how much I'll end up having to pay for it.

These things are very energy efficient. My heater draws less than 6-8 amps most of the time I use it. Should not cost you much. You're not heating from 0 to 70ish; probably more like 40 to 70ish F/degrees.

1 of the keys to get them to work properly is to isolate the area you're trying to heat..otherwise you're trying to get them to work harder than they were designed for..high cost and poor results.

#21 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:39 AM

You might also want to consider installing a ceiling fan that can reverse direction. They're great in the winter because they push the warm air downwards.
Future Legacy Participant.

#22 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Dec 20 2007, 11:29 PM) View Post
QUOTE(KRamsey @ Dec 22 2007, 07:51 PM) View Post

Kathy, insulating the ceiling of a garage isn't too difficult if you have a ladder, maybe a few 2x6 pieces of lumber, staple gun, and a few rolls of insulation. For a typical, two bay garage, the cost should be under $200. If the garage ceiling has studs, you should be able to do the job with just a staple gun.

Oh yeah, this is something we definitely have planned, but my husband has the expertise, so he kind of needs to take the lead on this project. Unfortunately, he works really long hours and we just haven't conjured up the time yet. It is an old house with many such projects, and they are getting done slowly.

#23 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:29 AM

Our Delonghi oil filled heater broke last year and we seem to have misplaced our vornado. If we turn the heater on during the winter our gas bill skyrockets to $100-$200 from our normal $22. We also use the dryer much more during the winter, when it's reasonably warm I line dry.

Amazon had a deal for 3 space heaters, 2 Delonghis and a Lasko for about $65 with free shipping. We received 2 of them today and so far I prefer them to the oil heater (too long to heat up, after which it felt like an incinerator in the bedroom, then it took forever to adjust to a lower temp) and the vornado (at times more like a lukewarm fan).They are tiny, but heated up the living room and bedroom in no time and temp adjustment is instant.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#24 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

My Vornado killed itself in a spectacular, drama-queen sort of way. So I got a (much cheaper) Lasko from Amazon. Works just as well as the Vornado ever did, and came with a three-year warranty. I'm ordering another one tomorrow for the front room. The only thing I miss about the Vornado is the remote control, but really, who cares?

#25 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

Funny, another Vornado we had a few years ago died a dramatic death in our downtown studio.

Amazon doesn't have the triple bundle any more. These are two of the heaters we got, the third is another Delonghi.

http://www.amazon.co...0735603-4307406

The only thing I miss about the Vornado is the remote control, but really, who cares?

Not me. I would have to get up to find it anyway.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#26 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

Yeah that Lasko is the one I got. I like it just fine -- does its job. Like I said I'll be getting another one so the dog and I can be in two different rooms and neither of us will have to freeze to death.

Warmth through the winter for the price of four or five burritos. A pretty good deal!

#27 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,800 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Dec 13 2009, 02:37 AM) View Post
Yeah that Lasko is the one I got. I like it just fine -- does its job. Like I said I'll be getting another one so the dog and I can be in two different rooms and neither of us will have to freeze to death.

Warmth through the winter for the price of four or five burritos. A pretty good deal!

I'll think of you and Doc all happy basking in the glow of the laskos as I warm myself over the heat coming off the cat, this winter

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#28 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:45 PM

Squeat, just be careful! I wouldn't let the Doctor be alone in a room with a space heater. Sometimes they cause accidents.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#29 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

We bought a pair of Patton compact electric heaters last year, and are quite pleased with them.

Patton PCHA4199. They have a low and high heat setting, on-off for the horizontal oscillation, very low energy consumption.

I think we paid about $50 each at Ace Hardware.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#30 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

Any recent recommendations? Looks like Lasko is the brand that Amazon is pushing- anyone have experience with it?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.