#16 JPW

JPW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Russ Parsons @ Dec 27 2007, 05:10 PM) View Post
i've got a whole drawer full of instant-reads, digital and otherwise, and am on my third polder (wired, not remote). I haven't had a major problem with any of them. 1 thing: you do need to check multiple points. if you hit a fat vein, or get too close to the bone, that can throw them off. the one that i really ahd problems with was a wireless. stupid thing could be programmed with only pre-set temperatures (medium-rare roast was 140 degrees!).

and yes, resting after roasting is unbelievably important. depending on the size of the roast, you'll get a 5- to 10-degree push. most important, the juices will redistribute. this can make the meat look more done than it is, but it will be a lot moister.
I generally use a Polder and rely on it crapping out completely after about 2 years. Other than that I've found them to be reliable. Can't agree more with Russ about the importance of taking a second or third reading in a different spot to ensure that you're reading the correct thing. Ask my poor Thanksgiving guests from two years ago about how I learned that the hard way.

"You know what we need around here? More guidelines. I don't think we have enough guidelines. I mean -- look at that other place, it even has guidelines for its guidelines."

"Also, we don't "ban" people in the arbitrary fashion you are describing. It's a meticulous and careful process, which is only used sparingly." -jhlurie (now ex-officio)

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,761 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:00 PM

I'm going to use a new Thermapen for the first time tonight and I am so excited I can burst.  (My life is pathetic.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,761 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:30 AM

The Thermapen is awesome.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#19 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

Themapen is great, but for roasts the (wired) Polder is outstanding. I've been using one for 15 years with nary a problem. Displays the oven temp, too, which can be verrrrry helpful. In fact, I brought mine (and my Thermapen) with me to D.C., where I'm about to put a prime rib in the oven. Since I'm using the Serious Eats slow-cook ("reverse sear") method, having a constant display is a big help

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,761 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:05 PM

Thanks! One more thing I have to buy!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:30 PM

Themapen is great, but for roasts the (wired) Polder is outstanding. I've been using one for 15 years with nary a problem. Displays the oven temp, too, which can be verrrrry helpful. In fact, I brought mine (and my Thermapen) with me to D.C., where I'm about to put a prime rib in the oven. Since I'm using the Serious Eats slow-cook ("reverse sear") method, having a constant display is a big help

(FWIW, I used rhat method yesterday with mixed results. The interior was perfect but the roast refused to brown up in the final high temp period. Husband gave it a fast pan sear and it was gorgeous.)

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,761 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:39 PM

Probably stupid question:  doesn't the wire on the wired thermometer prevent the oven door from sealing shut?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,761 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:14 PM

It's really comical how many internet reviews have people complaining that the plastic temperature display unit melts when put in the oven.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:17 PM

Wire: nope, it's very flexible, sorta like a metal cable shoelace. Never had a problem with oven doors.

Plastic unit: hahahahaha!

#25 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:40 AM

(FWIW, I used rhat method yesterday with mixed results. The interior was perfect but the roast refused to brown up in the final high temp period. Husband gave it a fast pan sear and it was gorgeous.)

That's what the method reverse "sear" means.  NOT reverse high temp.

#26 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 02:36 AM

That's what the method reverse "sear" means.  NOT reverse high temp.

Not necessarily.    You (theoretically) brown up the roast by pan searing OR final high temp blast.   https://meatthebutch...thod-rib-roast/

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#27 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:50 AM

Or - you could just get out the torch!

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,761 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:40 AM

What I'm really looking forward to is the use of my Thermapen (possibly in conjunction with a wired thermometer) when I make the rest of my wild boar striploin.  I won't overcook it NOW!

Bar Loser

MF Old