45 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

Looking at the map, it appears that Citronelle is not close to the White House...right??

What restaurants might be recommended in close proximity to the White House and/or Hay Adams Hotel?

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#2 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Peter Creasey @ Jan 10 2008, 10:02 AM)  
Looking at the map, it appears that Citronelle is not close to the White House...right??

What restaurants might be recommended in close proximity to the White House and/or Hay Adams Hotel?

Heather can better speak to this, but I think that Vidalia (1990 M St NW) is both reasonably close (White House = 16th and F?)and at the level you're seeking. Check out donrockwell.com for more.

This space available… contact owner.

#3 JPW

JPW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Peter Creasey @ Jan 10 2008, 10:02 AM)  

What are you looking for? Bistro? Italian? Tapas?

"You know what we need around here? More guidelines. I don't think we have enough guidelines. I mean -- look at that other place, it even has guidelines for its guidelines."

"Also, we don't "ban" people in the arbitrary fashion you are describing. It's a meticulous and careful process, which is only used sparingly." -jhlurie (now ex-officio)

#4 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(JPW @ Jan 10 2008, 10:09 AM)  

J, I guess I am flexible. Mainly just want to sample the best of what DC has to offer in most any non-sushi, non-MG category.

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

Citronelle is a short cab ride from the White House.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

indique is not near the white house, but it is very good.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

Capital WH, you commie bastard.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 JPW

JPW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Peter Creasey @ Jan 10 2008, 11:21 AM)  
QUOTE(JPW @ Jan 10 2008, 10:09 AM)  

J, I guess I am flexible. Mainly just want to sample the best of what DC has to offer in most any non-sushi, non-MG category.

Timing is also a question. Next week is restaurant week, so many places are likely to be jammed.
I'm not a big Vidalia fan, but they do have one of the area's better wine lists. (Heather's opinion will differ)
Citronelle would be no more than a 20 minute cab ride.
CityZen would be a 10 minute ride (it's walkable, but I wouldn't do it at night. It gets pretty shady/empty south of the Mall).
It's worth a shot to see if you can get wait-listed at Komi - walkable from Hay-Adams
These would probably be the top 4 with taking a shot at Komi at the top of my list.

Also walkable from Hay-Adams:
Taberna del Alabardero (spanish)
Ristorante Tosca (italian)
Spezie (italian)
Oval Room (modern american)
Corduroy (modern american) - closing at end of January for a move

ETA - the three course bar meal for $50 at CityZen remains one of the best dining bargains around.
"You know what we need around here? More guidelines. I don't think we have enough guidelines. I mean -- look at that other place, it even has guidelines for its guidelines."

"Also, we don't "ban" people in the arbitrary fashion you are describing. It's a meticulous and careful process, which is only used sparingly." -jhlurie (now ex-officio)

#9 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

My thanks to everyone for the good data thus far.

Several definitely look interesting.

Citronelle looks interesting because of its reputation and Mark's presence, but it is fairly far away. I doubt I will go this far, but I might.

Otherwise, I agree that Komi might be one of the top choices. The menu example looks interesting but there doesn't seem to be any way to get a handle on what their wine list might be.

On the timing...I won't be there until late March.

I'll continue to monitor this thread for additional comments that anyone might offer up.

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

White House to Citronelle, 1.57 miles, driving time 5 minutes, per Mapquest. I like to lunch there on trips to the various Smithsonians. But it's up to you, of course.
Elect-a-lujah

#11 JPW

JPW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jan 10 2008, 12:45 PM)  
White House to Citronelle, 1.57 miles, driving time 5 minutes, per Mapquest.
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Thanks for the best laugh that I've had all week.

#12 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

Coming from NYC, I was a little taken aback when several of the places that folks told us were "quite a ways" from where we were & that we should think of alternatives turned out to be 5 minute drives or 20 minute walks.

At any rate, Vidalia, Courdoroy and most of the places we wanted to try were on OpenTable.com Unfortunately, not only was Komi not a participant but they didnt have any "wait list" availability (even for the Consierge of our hotel, who seemed to be able to take care of these things in general but rolled his eyes at me when I gave him this challenge & then failed completely to budge them). If you're interested in going, call well in advance.

This space available… contact owner.

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

Just to mention: we ate at Taberna del Alabardero a year or so ago, and while the place is lovely, the service good, and the floor show amusing (well sung), the food was just eh. Komi, otoh, was wonderful.

Another thing to remember about DC is that the Metro connects a lot of downtown quickly and easily. If you're near the White House, you're not very far from Dupont Circle, my old stomping grounds. Just avoid the French bistro on Connecticut Ave near the Dupont Circle station.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#14 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:42 PM

Not exactly close to the White House but if possible Komi should not be missed. I had two meals there last year and drove from upstate NY. Best meals of the year and worth the drive.

#15 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(robert40 @ Jan 10 2008, 04:42 PM)  
Not exactly close to the White House but if possible Komi should not be missed.

Robert etal, Supposedly Komi is walkable from the Hay Adams. It sounds like the most interesting option at this point.

However, I would not be interested in a drawn out tasting menu that takes a long time.

I assume that ordering a la carte would work well at Komi.