407 replies to this topic

#1 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

Some people make great self-improving new year resolutions. Some people pledge to eat more. I like the second camp personally. Lauren, Wendy, Jan, and I have decided to give ourselves a project, we're goign to go to every place in Pike Place Market that serves lunch over the course of the year. Some places will be better than others, some will be great, some will flat out suck, but they'll all be in the Market. Which bring to mind a great quote by that eminent philosopher Pépé Le Pew, "Sometimes I ask myself, 'Pépé is it worth it?' Then I answer myself, 'It is! It is!"

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

Rocky, you da' man! I hope you and Lauren, Wendy, Jan, etc will post your experiences.

The Public Market is an absolute treasure, and I've always been impressed on my occasional visits.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#3 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

First stop, I Love New York Deli.

Sorry, that's only picture we've got. Is it a perfect Deli? Nope, but it's pretty damn good. I'm going to have to go to the Other Coast again in Ballard for more comparison but it might be the best pastrami in Seattle in my not so humble opinion. For $8.95 I got half a pastrami on dark rye and a cup of matzo ball soup. I added a spinach knish to my meal as well. The pastrami was really nicely fatted and tasty, good brine. the sandwich could have used a bit more mustard, but overall was good. I liked my spinach knish but I think I was the only one, I think it gives Leah's a run for its money, nice and spinachy with moist crust. The matzo was good, really big and dense, the broth itself was good and chickeny, but as Lauren remarked there was a lot of stuff in it. I would definitely go back anytime.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

Good scheme. I have happy memories of my visits to Pike Market.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

How many places will you be going to, all told? And if one closes after you've been, will you have to go to its replacement? Details, man, details! laugh.gif

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#6 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:42 PM

So, you start with the newest addition and work your way backwards?

Geographic boundaries? Or legit market properties only?

This will be a great thread - especially for visitors!
Wish I was still working downtown and could join the fun.

#7 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Jan 19 2008, 02:42 PM) View Post
So, you start with the newest addition and work your way backwards?

Geographic boundaries? Or legit market properties only?

This will be a great thread - especially for visitors!
Wish I was still working downtown and could join the fun.

Details and parameters of our Market crawl are being hammered out as we write.

I also enjoyed I Love New York Deli. I had a half a pastrami on dark rye with mustard and a cup of the matzoh ball soup. I liked the fatty/juiciness of the pastrami, but it was a bit lacking in spicey smokiness for my taste. That said, it's pretty darn good for Seattle pastrami. I really loved the breads, especially the piece of light rye which came along with the soup. It had enough texture to hold up to the sandwich, but wasn't too dense so that it overpowered the sandwich. Another plus was the really good sour pickle served alongside.

I liked the chicken broth, and thought the matzoh ball was ok (I really don't have a lot of matzoh ball experience, so I'm no authority here) and also would have preferred a clear broth without all the veg in it.

The best thing I tasted was Lauren's reuben--yum! I'll go back for that, but will let her give you the details.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#8 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Jan 19 2008, 02:33 PM) View Post
First stop, I Love New York Deli.
Sorry, that's only picture we've got. Is it a perfect Deli? Nope, but it's pretty damn good. I'm going to have to go to the Other Coast again in Ballard for more comparison but it might be the best pastrami in Seattle in my not so humble opinion. For $8.95 I got half a pastrami on dark rye and a cup of matzo ball soup. I added a spinach knish to my meal as well. The pastrami was really nicely fatted and tasty, good brine. the sandwich could have used a bit more mustard, but overall was good. I liked my spinach knish but I think I was the only one, I think it gives Leah's a run for its money, nice and spinachy with moist crust. The matzo was good, really big and dense, the broth itself was good and chickeny, but as Lauren remarked there was a lot of stuff in it. I would definitely go back anytime.

Rocky

I had the reuben and it was very good. I've had the reuben from The Other Coast Cafe many times and I think ILNYD's is better. The sauce and the bit of horseradish on it are perfect.

I didn't care for the spinach in the knish but I liked the crust. I would definitely try a different flavor.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#9 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

January 18, 2008

Place Pigalle - Classic, French, great view

Onion Soup

Warm Beet Salad

Mussels

Calamari

Cassoulet nouveau - Rabbit confit, wild boar cheeks, and Uli's Saucisson

Place Pigalle seems to be one of those places that everyone has been to at least once but it never really seems to place that prominently on anyone's radar, which is really too bad. The food is good, the view is spectacular, and the service is good. It's not expensive it's just more than you would think to pay for lunch, but then what do you usually have for lunch? Did you have the option of cassoulet? No? I didn't think so.

I had the onion soup and the calamari. The onion soup was wonderful, just enough booze in the broth to make it aromatic but not add a significant amount of flavour. The onions were nicely caramelized and there was plenty of cheese until the last drop. The calamari though was kind of disappointing. There was bit much sorrel and it was kind of overcooked, so much so that it started to take on a bitter taste. There was a also a bit much thickener in the sauce, I think it was cornstach, whatever it was it hadn't finished cooking and left a starchy chalky after-taste in my mouth. Everyone elses food was much better though!

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(SeaGal @ Jan 19 2008, 06:03 PM) View Post
I had a half a pastrami on dark rye with mustard and a cup of the matzoh ball soup. I liked the fatty/juiciness of the pastrami, but it was a bit lacking in spicey smokiness for my taste. That said, it's pretty darn good for Seattle pastrami. I really loved the breads, especially the piece of light rye which came along with the soup. It had enough texture to hold up to the sandwich, but wasn't too dense so that it overpowered the sandwich. Another plus was the really good sour pickle served alongside.

If you recall, could you give some detail on the dark rye and the light rye? My recollections of Seattle area bread suggest a somewhat heavier model than we see in the Northeast. Very good bread, very chewy, and often sliced a little thicker than then 1/4 inch we usually see here.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#11 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Jan 19 2008, 03:09 PM) View Post
[If you recall, could you give some detail on the dark rye and the light rye? My recollections of Seattle area bread suggest a somewhat heavier model than we see in the Northeast. Very good bread, very chewy, and often sliced a little thicker than then 1/4 inch we usually see here.

I would say your description of the bread is close, although what I liked was that it wasn't too chewy or dense, but more so than supermarket rye. The only experience I have of Northeast rye was the bread I had at Carnegie Deli a few years ago and it reminded me of the thinner, softer supermarket-type rye. I'll have to ask the folks at ILNYD where they get their bread next time I'm there. They had a specific name for the light, seeded rye, but I can't remember it and didn't take notes, since the day we ate there, we hadn't yet decided to do this project.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#12 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

At ILNYD I had the pastrami with cheese on light rye. I got chips instead of potato salad cause it looked like it was from costco. and I had a cream soda I really liked my sandwich- it was huge and the bread was really good. It could have been a bit fattier for me but it's definitely the best pastrami I've had in seattle. and it's next to Daily Dozen!

One drawback is that you have to take your meal and go sit elsewhere. There is a little common area between the deli and the donuts but we headed downstairs by the chili place to eat. And that is where this fabulous little idea was spawned!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#13 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

I had the cassoulet yesterday, the "slice" on top of it is bread pudding. All the meats were sooo flavorful, the rabbit especially great! then I took a bit of beans & meat with the bread pudding and it really all came together! that bread pudding made it really stand out to me. yummy! and huge portion- I could only eat half so Dayne gets the other half- lucky him! I also had a nice glass of grenache. I like Place Pigall, it's small and cute and I love the views.

Winner!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#14 Guest_Abra_*

Guest_Abra_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:19 PM

I love that mussel presentation, like a shellfish bouquet. I've got to try that at home. Cool project, y'all!

#15 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

Does this mean that y'all are going to voluntarily eat at Lowell's? The last two time I was compelled to go there, it was beyond wretched, avoid the clam chowder at all costs.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner