407 replies to this topic

#16 TamIam

TamIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for reminding me about Place Pigalle. Part of its charm is that it is so tucked away, but for the same reason, I tend to forget it exists. I'm with Tighe about Lowell's. It has such a great location and history. Too bad the food offers no pleasure.

One problem with eating at the Market in the winter is the number of takeout places, but no good (warm, dry) places to sit and enjoy your haul.

Afrikando, Mike's Chili, De Laurenti's, Michou (great sandwiches, and they've added soups and salads) have been in rotation for quick food. Also had fish and chips at the fish stand across from 3 Sisters---Good fish, soggy chips. What else? 94 Stewart doesn't seem to get a lot of attention, but it is charming and what I've had of the wine and menu has been good.

Does your definition of Market include the hillclimb? In any case, I will be following your postings with great interest. I hope you remind me of the forgotten spots and find some new treasures on the way.
Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented. -- J. Esther

#17 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

And is the pierogi place included?

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#18 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

Does this mean that y'all are going to voluntarily eat at Lowell's? The last two time I was compelled to go there, it was beyond wretched, avoid the clam chowder at all costs.

Same with the Athenian. But if you guys could find anything edible there, it would be a good thing. It's such a great space and one of the few true old school Seattle places left downtown.

#19 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Jan 19 2008, 03:09 PM) View Post
January 18, 2008

Place Pigalle - Classic, French, great view

Place Pigalle seems to be one of those places that everyone has been to at least once but it never really seems to place that prominently on anyone's radar, which is really too bad. The food is good, the view is spectacular, and the service is good. It's not expensive it's just more than you would think to pay for lunch, but then what do you usually have for lunch? Did you have the option of cassoulet? No? I didn't think so.

I had the onion soup and the calamari. The onion soup was wonderful, just enough booze in the broth to make it aromatic but not add a significant amount of flavour. The onions were nicely caramelized and there was plenty of cheese until the last drop. The calamari though was kind of disappointing. There was bit much sorrel and it was kind of overcooked, so much so that it started to take on a bitter taste. There was a also a bit much thickener in the sauce, I think it was cornstach, whatever it was it hadn't finished cooking and left a starchy chalky after-taste in my mouth. Everyone elses food was much better though!

Rocky

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Jan 19 2008, 04:12 PM) View Post
I had the cassoulet yesterday, the "slice" on top of it is bread pudding. All the meats were sooo flavorful, the rabbit especially great! then I took a bit of beans & meat with the bread pudding and it really all came together! that bread pudding made it really stand out to me. yummy! and huge portion- I could only eat half so Dayne gets the other half- lucky him! I also had a nice glass of grenache. I like Place Pigall, it's small and cute and I love the views.

Winner!

I had the warm beet salad and the mussels. The salad consisted of a pile of warm, shredded beets and some sliced shallots, over a few pieces of arugula, with a walnut encrusted ball of goat cheese on the side. The plate was drizzled with a dijon vinaigrette that was a bit too sweet for my taste and I prefer composed salads with each ingredient tossed (not the cheese, of course) with some of the vinagrette, but that's a minor quibble. It was nice and quite hearty for a salad.

The mussels were steamed and covered with a sauce that had diced bacon and balsamic vinegar in it. The mussels were plump and cooked perfectly and, as Abra mentioned, a really nice presentation. It was also a very large portion. Although I normally prefer my mussels in more of a broth than a sauce, the bacony sauce was quite tasty sopped up with the good rolls that were on the table.

Rocky's onion soup was so good that I plan to go back and have a bowl of it soon!
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#20 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(SeaGal @ Jan 20 2008, 04:35 PM) View Post
QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Jan 19 2008, 03:09 PM) View Post
January 18, 2008

Place Pigalle - Classic, French, great view

Place Pigalle seems to be one of those places that everyone has been to at least once but it never really seems to place that prominently on anyone's radar, which is really too bad. The food is good, the view is spectacular, and the service is good. It's not expensive it's just more than you would think to pay for lunch, but then what do you usually have for lunch? Did you have the option of cassoulet? No? I didn't think so.

I had the onion soup and the calamari. The onion soup was wonderful, just enough booze in the broth to make it aromatic but not add a significant amount of flavour. The onions were nicely caramelized and there was plenty of cheese until the last drop. The calamari though was kind of disappointing. There was bit much sorrel and it was kind of overcooked, so much so that it started to take on a bitter taste. There was a also a bit much thickener in the sauce, I think it was cornstach, whatever it was it hadn't finished cooking and left a starchy chalky after-taste in my mouth. Everyone elses food was much better though!

Rocky

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Jan 19 2008, 04:12 PM) View Post
I had the cassoulet yesterday, the "slice" on top of it is bread pudding. All the meats were sooo flavorful, the rabbit especially great! then I took a bit of beans & meat with the bread pudding and it really all came together! that bread pudding made it really stand out to me. yummy! and huge portion- I could only eat half so Dayne gets the other half- lucky him! I also had a nice glass of grenache. I like Place Pigall, it's small and cute and I love the views.

Winner!

I had the warm beet salad and the mussels. The salad consisted of a pile of warm, shredded beets and some sliced shallots, over a few pieces of arugula, with a walnut encrusted ball of goat cheese on the side. The plate was drizzled with a dijon vinaigrette that was a bit too sweet for my taste and I prefer composed salads with each ingredient tossed (not the cheese, of course) with some of the vinagrette, but that's a minor quibble. It was nice and quite hearty for a salad.

The mussels were steamed and covered with a sauce that had diced bacon and balsamic vinegar in it. The mussels were plump and cooked perfectly and, as Abra mentioned, a really nice presentation. It was also a very large portion. Although I normally prefer my mussels in more of a broth than a sauce, the bacony sauce was quite tasty sopped up with the good rolls that were on the table.

Rocky's onion soup was so good that I plan to go back and have a bowl of it soon!

I also had the cassoulet. It was $18, which is definitely an expensive lunch, but it had so much meat in it that it's hard to quibble. There was a whole rabbit thigh, at least 6 dollar sized pieces of beef cheeks, a 3" piece of sausage and then perfectly cooked flagolet beans. Paul was able to have the leftovers for lunch.

Rocky's french onion soup was my favorite thing though. I'm looking forward to having that again.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#21 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Jan 20 2008, 11:44 AM) View Post
And is the pierogi place included?

That's a great one for winter - a nice bowl of borscht and a plateful of pierogi. The tiny seating area is cold though.

#22 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

OF COURSE they have to go to Lowell's and the Athenian! Of the two, IMHO the most 'wretched' (as Tighe would put it) food came from the Athenian. Actually I don't feel like anything I've had at either place was wretched, but, um, disappointing, and really sorta BAD, yes.

And you know what? I still love that place. It has such a great vibe.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#23 bbqer

bbqer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ Jan 19 2008, 03:08 PM) View Post
QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Jan 19 2008, 02:33 PM) View Post
First stop, I Love New York Deli.
Sorry, that's only picture we've got. Is it a perfect Deli? Nope, but it's pretty damn good. I'm going to have to go to the Other Coast again in Ballard for more comparison but it might be the best pastrami in Seattle in my not so humble opinion. For $8.95 I got half a pastrami on dark rye and a cup of matzo ball soup. I added a spinach knish to my meal as well. The pastrami was really nicely fatted and tasty, good brine. the sandwich could have used a bit more mustard, but overall was good. I liked my spinach knish but I think I was the only one, I think it gives Leah's a run for its money, nice and spinachy with moist crust. The matzo was good, really big and dense, the broth itself was good and chickeny, but as Lauren remarked there was a lot of stuff in it. I would definitely go back anytime.

Rocky

I had the reuben and it was very good. I've had the reuben from The Other Coast Cafe many times and I think ILNYD's is better. The sauce and the bit of horseradish on it are perfect.

I didn't care for the spinach in the knish but I liked the crust. I would definitely try a different flavor.

Yep, the horseradish addition made the Reuben come alive with flavor. Very tasty! I also enjoy The Other Coast's Reuben, since I'm a Jack Sprat kinda guy (not big on eating fat) but they do tend to overdo the sauerkraut at times.

"Never eat more than you can lift." ~ Miss Piggy

#24 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:14 AM

I love this thread. I can live vicariously and obtain useful info for my next passing through SEA on my way to Sitka. I also really enjoy the mandatory stop at Piroshki Piroshki when in town....

We all know people who can be as gratuitously insulting about soup as they can about the Senate. - g.johnson

#25 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

Spot #3 was World Class Chili

I'd never been here but you could tell they have lots of regulars! Jan and I got there about noon and they had a pretty steady stream of people until we left. We ate at the counter.

I got a Texas sized bowl of Medium hot Texas chili over black beans with corn bread and a beer. Thank god for the beer because medium was pretty damn hot to me!! I really liked the big pieces of fall apart beef in the chili. the corn bread was good for crumbling into the bowl and thats about it.

Jan had the texas chili over mac & cheese- I'll let her post about it.

Due to crazy schedules we had to split up this week- Lauren and Rocky went yesterday. I liked the chili here and would go back, next time I might get my chili over pasta shells! smile.gif

(apologize for the photos- they are from my phone as I forgot my camera!)
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#26 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

Rocky and I were joined by Tighe for our lunch yesterday. And, what do you know, we ran into hhlodesign on our way out of the Market! It's a small, small foodie world.

I also got the the texas size, texas chili, with diced meat option, over mac and cheese. I really liked the chili with its big hunks of beef which fell apart as soon as the spoon touched them. The mac and cheese could have used a ton more cheese/sauce - it really was like chili on top of elbow pasta. The mac and cheese was also a side on the bbq sampler Rocky got - so it was easy to see how dry it was. I'd skip that next time. The chili itself is very flavorful and filling but I can't imagine ordering it anything past medium. Rocky did - I wonder how he fared with that laugh.gif
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#27 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

While I liked the Texas chili itself (especially the beef chunks), I felt that the mac and cheese pretty much ruined it. Not only was the mac and cheese dry, it also added an unpleasant flavor and intense saltiness (even for a salt lover like me) to the otherwise tasty chili.

I enjoyed LMF's chili over black beans. I'd like to try it over pinto beans. The server didn't ask me what spice level, so I assume mine was mild and yet it still had a nice bite to it. I like that they don't charge extra for options like grated cheese and onion, but rather have out a little condiment tray with the cheese, chopped onions and some sliced jalapeno's.

The place was quite busy with a line out the door the whole time we were there. It must be chili weather! They also had Cincinnati chile, made with pork and beef. I guess one of us should have tried that--maybe next time.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#28 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE(SeaGal @ Jan 25 2008, 04:18 PM) View Post
They also had Cincinnati chile, made with pork and beef. I guess one of us should have tried that--maybe next time.

As Lauren said, I was a PPMLC interloper yesterday and did try Cincinnati chile. I liked it a lot, good spices and plenty hot, even ordered medium. Rocky and I decided to try the barbecue plate as well; best avoided unfortunately.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#29 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(tighe @ Jan 25 2008, 10:40 PM) View Post
They also had Cincinnati chile, made with pork and beef. I guess one of us should have tried that--maybe next time.

As Lauren said, I was a PPMLC interloper yesterday and did try Cincinnati chile. I liked it a lot, good spices and plenty hot, even ordered medium. Rocky and I decided to try the barbecue plate as well; best avoided unfortunately.

I noticed the sign said you could select your choice of beans. Do they cook the beans separately, and just combine the sauce, meats, lentils, with the beans at your request? I like to let everything stew together for a while.

Does the Cincy chili have cinnamon in it? I recall some chili had the sweetness and I was quite surprised at the impact.

I love this thread!

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#30 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Jan 26 2008, 05:56 AM) View Post
QUOTE(tighe @ Jan 25 2008, 10:40 PM) View Post

I noticed the sign said you could select your choice of beans. Do they cook the beans separately, and just combine the sauce, meats, lentils, with the beans at your request? I like to let everything stew together for a while.

Does the Cincy chili have cinnamon in it? I recall some chili had the sweetness and I was quite surprised at the impact.

I love this thread!

The website gives a more complete description of the different varieties of chili they serve. The short answer is, yes, the chili is meat-only and you choose what you want it served over. I went with a combo of black beans and brown rice.

Per the desription on the site, the Cinci style has cinnamon, chocolate and clove.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner