407 replies to this topic

#376 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

My chili burger was a very pleasant surprise. The chili was a black bean and sirloin chili that was really really good. Like, I would gladly order a bowl of chili good. The burger itself was overcooked, tough, and not very good, but the chili totally saved it. In fact it would have been in line with Sound View for worst burger in the Market if not for the chili. Lowell's is definitely still a good place to take visitors for the view, I'll never actively want to go there, but the food is much better than I remember it being.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#377 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

This week Lauren and I went to Kells to check out the lunch options.

Decent soda bread - standard nothing special

One of my favourite items here, the sausage roll - the pastry was nice and flaky and the gravy was excellent

Steak and Kidney Pie with a cup of vegetarian split pea - Lauren, our server, and I all commented on how not split pea it was because of a lack of pig products, good pastry again, nice and heavy on the kidneys

Corned Beef Sandwich

I am an Owl n Thistle guy, always have been. Kells is a perfectly fine pub though and has some good solid food to back it up. I would gladly come back to Kells especially for the sausage roll.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#378 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

Jan, Rocky and I hit up the Mexican Grocery last week. They only take cash and there isn't room inside to sit so we headed to the public spaces behind the creamery and Jack's Fish Spot.

Jan and I both had the pork tamales with rice and beans and a side of chips and salsa

The tamales was fine, a good amount of pork inside. The beans were dry. Chips were out of a bag but the green salsa was good. Nothing was good enough for me to seek it out again although I did see some grocery items in the shop I would go back for.

Rocky had the breakfast burrito and pork tamale with chips and gauc

Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#379 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

I agree with Wendy. The tamales were decent, but the beans and rice were not exciting. I do think their salsas are quite good and I often buy them, cheeses, dried chiles, canned salsas, tamales and tortillas for take home. They also sell prepared masa for tortillas, which I haven't tried and they used to sell prepared hominy for pozole, which I bought once, but now that I have RG hominy, I don't really need it.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#380 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:13 PM

But isn't that plate all of $3.50? And quick and filling...that made it a regular for me when I was close by.

So, snow delay on finishing out the year? Still haven't figured out what you are leaving to the end, unless Etta's?!

#381 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Jan 12 2009, 03:13 PM) View Post
But isn't that plate all of $3.50? And quick and filling...that made it a regular for me when I was close by.

So, snow delay on finishing out the year? Still haven't figured out what you are leaving to the end, unless Etta's?!

a bit more, $4.50 but honestly I kindof wanted something else. It felt a bit like wasted calories to me.

our final lunch is Friday smile.gif
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#382 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Jan 12 2009, 08:31 PM) View Post
QUOTE(tsquare @ Jan 12 2009, 03:13 PM) View Post

a bit more, $4.50 but honestly I kindof wanted something else. It felt a bit like wasted calories to me.

our final lunch is Friday smile.gif

I can see that - it was a good shot in the summer when I could not get close to my real regular spots and I was ready to eat anything. I think the prices went up too.

Wow! You made it, almost!

I was brought a knish and some Swedish cookies from the arcade by the newsstand. Not bad.

#383 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

I feel really indifferent about the Mexican Grocery. My tamale was oversalted a bit but moist. The breakfast burrito was a chorizo and egg burrito and pretty good actually. I would probably have that again, but I don't think I'll ever crave anything from Mexican Grocery.

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#384 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:00 AM

Well, the final lunch? I'm looking forward to reading wrap-ups/reflections from the participants, too.

#385 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I've been slammed. Here is our last lunch. We saved Le Pichet for that honor.

Duck Salad

Anchovy Fritters

Frites

Raclette

Charcuterie

Oysters

And the oddly plated sausage served with the oysters

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#386 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

Onion Soup

Salt Cod Salad

Desserts

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#387 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

mmmmm... Lauren those pictures are awesome!

I loved my lunch, but I love le pichet and they can rarely do wrong in my eyes! We started with a nice bubbly and then had a few bottles of rhone. I love the raclette but love anything with melted cheese so..... charcut plate was wonderful, the salads both very nice. oysters! the stand out was the lemon white chocolate tart for me, surprising and delish!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#388 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Jan 28 2009, 11:12 AM) View Post
We started with a nice bubbly and then had a few bottles of rhone.

I meant to end with this pic but forgot to post it

#389 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:52 AM

A perfect end to the year, even though it was at the beginning of the new year. Everything was delicious, with the highlights for me being the charcuterie plate, the raclette, the duck salad, the frites and that delicious lemon white chocolate tart (and I don't normally care much for white chocolate). Cheers to the end of the crawl!
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#390 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

Thank Yahweh we get to eat somewhere besides the Market for lunch now! Le Pichet was very nice as always. The charcuterie was impeccable and I enjoyed the onion soup. It was a great way to wrap up and celebrate the end of the quest.

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant