• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(tighe @ Jan 26 2008, 07:06 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Jan 26 2008, 05:56 AM) View Post
QUOTE(tighe @ Jan 25 2008, 10:40 PM) View Post
QUOTE(SeaGal @ Jan 25 2008, 04:18 PM) View Post
They also had Cincinnati chile, made with pork and beef. I guess one of us should have tried that--maybe next time.

As Lauren said, I was a PPMLC interloper yesterday and did try Cincinnati chile. I liked it a lot, good spices and plenty hot, even ordered medium. Rocky and I decided to try the barbecue plate as well; best avoided unfortunately.

I noticed the sign said you could select your choice of beans. Do they cook the beans separately, and just combine the sauce, meats, lentils, with the beans at your request? I like to let everything stew together for a while.

Does the Cincy chili have cinnamon in it? I recall some chili had the sweetness and I was quite surprised at the impact.

I love this thread!

The website gives a more complete description of the different varieties of chili they serve. The short answer is, yes, the chili is meat-only and you choose what you want it served over. I went with a combo of black beans and brown rice.

Per the desription on the site, the Cinci style has cinnamon, chocolate and clove.

My favorite here is Texas chili, medium spicy (plenty sharp for this "mature" palate), over pinto beans (yummy!), with cheese on top and tortilla chips on the side. Oh, and one of those nice sparkling hand-squeezed lemonades they serve. I intend to try the Cincy chili one of these days, as I've heard it too is very good and different from the Texas. BTW, I lived in Texas for a number of years, went to many chili cook-offs, and have to say that Joe's Texas chili is muy authentico! Texans never cook their chili with beans by the way. I do like the addition of pintos, however. This stuff is the real mccoy. You can get it with ground beef, chunks of beef, or combo. I recommend the chunks of incredibly tender beef -- this is the way Texans enjoy it most.
"Never eat more than you can lift." ~ Miss Piggy

#32 napavalleyphil

napavalleyphil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

I liked their website. I wonder if anyone has purchased 10 gallons? That will feed quite a lot of people!

#33 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE(napavalleyphil @ Jan 28 2008, 09:54 AM) View Post
I liked their website. I wonder if anyone has purchased 10 gallons? That will feed quite a lot of people!

But don't you think it is expensive?? Jan and I were talking as we were eating and we thought that $250 (if I'm remembering right) seemed like a lot of money for chili!

Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#34 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Jan 28 2008, 10:47 PM) View Post

But don't you think it is expensive?? Jan and I were talking as we were eating and we thought that $250 (if I'm remembering right) seemed like a lot of money for chili!

Not expensive: that works out to $1.5625 per cup.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#35 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Jan 28 2008, 07:56 PM) View Post

ahhhh.. maths!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#36 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Jan 28 2008, 09:56 PM) View Post

ahhhh.. maths!

Except that it's 5 gallons (80 cups) for $250.00, not 10, bringing it up to $3.125 per cup. A batch of 10 gallons is $450.00, which comes out to $2.8125 per cup. So the price gets better the more you buy. I'm pretty sure you could make it cheaper at home, the question is, do you want to?
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#37 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(SeaGal @ Jan 29 2008, 04:00 AM) View Post
QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Jan 28 2008, 09:56 PM) View Post

ahhhh.. maths!

Except that it's 5 gallons (80 cups) for $250.00, not 10, bringing it up to $3.125 per cup. A batch of 10 gallons is $450.00, which comes out to $2.8125 per cup. So the price gets better the more you buy. I'm pretty sure you could make it cheaper at home, the question is, do you want to?

$50 a gallon. Won't replace gasoline or Starbucks coffee as an alternative fuel anytime soon... laugh.gif
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#38 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

Especially since it is beanless. blush.gif

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#39 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:28 AM

Been way too busy, I liked the chili a lot , it had nice kick and no beans! I ordered the Texas Chili hot, and while there was plenty of heat it never became a pure heat thing, there was plenty of flavour. The BBQ on the other hand sucked out lout, it was bland, had no smoke and was just bleah. It does say World Class Chili though and not World Class BBQ.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#40 Della

Della

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

Great topic and goal you guys! I'll look forward to lunch tips all year smile.gif

#41 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE(Della @ Jan 30 2008, 11:43 AM) View Post
Great topic and goal you guys! I'll look forward to lunch tips all year smile.gif

we are very goal oriented laugh.gif
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#42 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

Pike Place Chinese Cuisine, which I've walked by a million times but never been to, got a really positive review in the PI today. It will be interesting to see how the MF PPMLC review compares, when the time comes....
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#43 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:13 AM

We went to Maximilien Bistro yesterday and they gave us one of the best tables next to the windows- great views!

Rocky took pictures so he'll post them soon. I had the traditional tarte flambe which was perfectly crispy and had the best onions, ham and creme fraiche on it. It tasted like tartiflette on a pizza! I ate almost the whole thing when I should have stopped half way in as it was so rich. It came with a very nice green salad. I loved my lunch!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#44 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Feb 1 2008, 05:13 PM) View Post
We went to Maximilien Bistro yesterday and they gave us one of the best tables next to the windows- great views!

Rocky took pictures so he'll post them soon. I had the traditional tarte flambe which was perfectly crispy and had the best onions, ham and creme fraiche on it. It tasted like tartiflette on a pizza! I ate almost the whole thing when I should have stopped half way in as it was so rich. It came with a very nice green salad. I loved my lunch!

I enjoyed Maximilien too! Beautiful view and most of the food we tried was quite tasty. I ordered the duck confit with lentils and fried potatoes. The duck confit wasn't the best I've ever had--it was a bit dry and chewy as if it had been cooked too long, but it had good flavor and some nice crispy skin. The lentils were excellent, with little pieces of lardon and perfectly cooked. The fried potatoes were melon ball sized, round, crispy fried balls; Parisienne perhaps? Anyway, they were good. The french onion soup (part of Rocky's prix fixe meal) wasn't quite as good as Place Pigalle's, but it was much better than many other onion soups I've tasted. This would be a great place for a romantic getaway lunch (especially during the week, when the market is quiet) or a to take visiting family or friends when touring the market.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#45 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:22 AM

Here's the pictures, I'll post some words later.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant