#16 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,801 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Jan 20 2008, 06:38 PM) View Post
Walking up 5th Ave, round the corner from our apt.-- I guess in the early 90s--Ellen Barkin and Gabriel Byrne crossed us at an intersection. A group of youths shouted "Ellen", nobody seemed to recognize Byrne. I was tempted to shout out for him but thought better of it.

your ellen barkin sighting reminds me of my ron perelman sighting. he nearly fell onto me as he tripped down the steps of his townhouse. i was saved from being crushed under him when his security shoved me out of the way in order to catch him. talk about a brush with fame

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#17 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Jan 20 2008, 03:45 PM) View Post
Walking up 5th Ave, round the corner from our apt.-- I guess in the early 90s--Ellen Barkin and Gabriel Byrne crossed us at an intersection. A group of youths shouted "Ellen", nobody seemed to recognize Byrne. I was tempted to shout out for him but thought better of it.

your ellen barkin sighting reminds me of my ron perelman sighting. he nearly fell onto me as he tripped down the steps of his townhouse. i was saved from being crushed under him when his security shoved me out of the way in order to catch him. talk about a brush with fame

Or a collision course with infamy.
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."

#18 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,801 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE(GalPalJoan @ Jan 20 2008, 06:47 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Jan 20 2008, 03:45 PM) View Post

Or a collision course with infamy.

if only our eyes had met, i could be counting my divorce settlement already

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#19 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

Sir Neville Mott once pushed me out of the way.

He's a Nobel winning physicist, you peasants.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#20 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:07 AM

Not too long ago Aaron T and I stumbled out of Jean Georges and bumped into Rudolph Giuliani. He shook our hands and lo and behold he felt warm blooded. Funny.....he's lifogenic, much better looking in person.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#21 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,801 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Jan 20 2008, 07:07 PM) View Post
Not too long ago Aaron T and I stumbled out of Jean Georges and bumped into Rudolph Giuliani. He shook our hands and lo and behold he felt warm blooded. Funny.....he's lifogenic, much better looking in person.

i used to sit 2 doors away from him at work and he's definitely animatronic (like those disney displays) and oddly better looking in the flesh. he's also really good at holding elevator doors for people. is that a presidential skill?

~Jack Handey

#22 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:23 AM

I don't know, if Bloomberg can enter now maybe RG can continue..............................................ohh, oh: political.

I did meet Tony Benn. Lovely man. (We discussed Dr. Martens.) And still going strong, I believe. His grand-daughter is in politics too.

#23 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,801 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

this past summer, i seated at a table next to Ed Koch and Betsy Gotbaum. when they finished their meal they were stopped on the way out the restaurant by a tourist asking for a photo. Ms. Gotbaum spent the next 45 minutes snapping photos of Ed Koch with admirers in front of the restaurant. i don't think anyone recognized her. they were both really good sports.

~Jack Handey

#24 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,801 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE(g.johnson @ Jan 20 2008, 07:05 PM) View Post
Sir Neville Mott once pushed me out of the way.

He's a Nobel winning physicist, you peasants.

Rosalyn Yalow once offered me a piece of candy. There was no shoving involved, but her Nobel is only a shared one. I think the candy was sugar-free

~Jack Handey

#25 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:33 AM

Doc Martens. The mundane.

Reminds me...This is true...When we had Professor Ian Mcdonald, "Ambassador for British neurology", round for dinner he and I spoke about ironing. It was fascinating (honest).

#26 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,801 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Jan 20 2008, 07:33 PM) View Post
Doc Martens. The mundane.

Reminds me...This is true...When we had Professor Ian Mcdonald, "Ambassador for British neurology", round for dinner he and I spoke about ironing. It was fascinating (honest).

was he for or against?

~Jack Handey

#27 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:47 AM

Ed Koch stepped on my picnic blanket at a Mozart in the Park concert (back in the early 80s). I was surprised at how tall he is.

Back in my waitron days, I waited on Christopher Lloyd, Treat Williams, and Butch Thompson (not all at the same time). Surprisingly just like normal people.

When I was cooking in an uppitty restaurant here in town, the staff reported that Michael Douglas was in da house. Whatever – we just cooked his dinner. When I was breaking down after service, I went out to the linen closet to get clean rags for cleanup and nearly bumped into a guy coming out of the men's room...he gave me a nod and a quick smile and said “dinner was excellent, thank you”. On my way back into the kitchen I realized it was...Michael Douglas. Not very tall or imposing.

#28 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:21 AM

Back in my hotel days we had a number of celebrities come through. Pierce Brosnan and Cassandra Harris always come to mind because Miss Harris was one of the nicest guest we ever had at one of the worst hotels where I did time, while Pierce was pretty much an ass during their stay. Much to my surprise, I find I'm liking his movies more and more the further away he gets from that stay and his Bond days.

I had the pleasure of driving Samantha Eggar to St Helena one time. She was wonderful. I can't believe I didn't take her up on the offer to stick around and watch them film a scene or two.
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."

#29 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE(GG Mora @ Jan 20 2008, 07:47 PM) View Post
Ed Koch stepped on my picnic blanket at a Mozart in the Park concert (back in the early 80s). I was surprised at how tall he is.

Yeah I ran into Koch in a movie line one time. The height was kind of intimidating.

I've run into Dustin Hoffman, Tom Verlaine, & David Bowie in my traipsing around NYC. Also wound up on a dinner cruise where they were throwing a birthday bash for Derek Jacobi.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#30 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:24 AM

Steven Weinberg, 1979 Nobel Laureate in Physics, walks my store for exercise with his wife a couple of times a week: after power-walking through the aisles, they shop. It's funny when they go by because they are constantly talking and you can eavesdrop on tiny snippets of conversation as they whiz by...."Jane Austin...one theory...radical departure...Saul Bellow...second movement..."
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.