Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ Jan 20 2008, 07:44 PM) View Post
QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Jan 20 2008, 07:33 PM) View Post
Doc Martens. The mundane.

Reminds me...This is true...When we had Professor Ian Mcdonald, "Ambassador for British neurology", round for dinner he and I spoke about ironing. It was fascinating (honest).

was he for or against?

For.

Sad to think of him. He had a stroke in his early 70s and died, just recently.

Oh, another one. He had a garden party and one of the guests fell down the stairs. I saw Prof Mcdonald take out the yellow pages and look up, saying, "er what's it called, under A...., right, ambulance".
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#32 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:42 AM

i have a regular appointment where i see jim dale, the actor. it took me a few times to recognize him, being nyc noone ever lets on that they recognize him. he's friendly but quiet and fades right into the background. so different from his stage persona.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#33 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Jan 20 2008, 08:22 PM) View Post
QUOTE(GG Mora @ Jan 20 2008, 07:47 PM) View Post
Ed Koch stepped on my picnic blanket at a Mozart in the Park concert (back in the early 80s). I was surprised at how tall he is.

Yeah I ran into Koch in a movie line one time. The height was kind of intimidating.

Continuing with the Ed Koch theme - he sometimes shops at Fairway. We've chatted over carrots.

Future Legacy Participant.

#34 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:12 AM

Thursday night Matthew Modine and I crossed paths. Again. He looks great.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#35 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:15 AM

Koch: I've seen him in Japonica. I think he lives near Washington Sq.

Modine: What's happened to him?

#36 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:19 AM

Has he been spending time in Napa?

“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#37 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE(Liza @ Jan 20 2008, 09:12 PM) View Post
Thursday night Matthew Modine and I crossed paths. Again. He looks great.

Is his hair still bleached blonde? It was the last time I saw him.
Future Legacy Participant.

#38 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:06 AM

He was so wonderful in Married to the Mob.
Having said that. ETA: This looks interesting.

#39 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:12 AM

years ago, i used to see patrick mcgoohan strolling near central park. what a gorgeously regal fellow

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#40 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:15 AM

You're pulling my leg, surely.

Really. Exactly how many years ago?

#41 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Jan 20 2008, 10:15 PM) View Post
You're pulling my leg, surely.

Really. Exactly how many years ago?

maybe 15 or 20. i practically swooned every time. gorgeous

~Jack Handey

#42 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:34 AM

Oh, I believe you.

Did I mention my nanny (ok, "childminder") when I was around 7 was none other than?
Probably been mentioned again and again.....my only claim to fame. I believe Wilf had the hots for her before hamsters starting making moves.
Eta: or was it squirrels?

#43 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

Walked past Kim Cattrall on Boxing Day just a few blocks from my apartment. She's very tiny. Much shorter than I thought she was.

Years ago, my mom and I were walking down a busy downtown street, (Robson Street for those that know Vancouver) and this man stopped right in front of my mom and bent down to pick something up. She walked into him and snapped "Watch what you're doing asshole!" He stood up, turned around and it was Corbin Bernson.

#44 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE(peppyre @ Jan 21 2008, 02:38 AM) View Post
Walked past Kim Cattrall on Boxing Day just a few blocks from my apartment. She's very tiny. Much shorter than I thought she was.

Years ago, my mom and I were walking down a busy downtown street, (Robson Street for those that know Vancouver) and this man stopped right in front of my mom and bent down to pick something up. She walked into him and snapped "Watch what you're doing asshole!" He stood up, turned around and it was Corbin Bernson.

wow. how did she know it was him, even before he stood up and turned around?

~Jack Handey

#45 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:29 AM

I have lots of these due to Ginny's work. But my favorite non-Ginny moment came when I entered my co-op elevator (it's only a 17 unit building and we all know each other) and Jessye Norman entered behind me, followed by David Dinkins. Turns out they're both friends of one of my neighbors. Wound up meeting them again at her holiday party several months later.

I've already told my Mick Jagger nude story so I wont repeat it. But I've played squash with Norman Mailer & Frank Stella (separately of course) and basketball with Earl Monroe, Dean Meminger and Tiny Archibald. Had a soda with Lew Alcinder (yep, he was Lew Alcinder then). Was at a concert at the Bottom Line (cant remember who was playing) and looked at the next table to find Bob Dylan sitting there with Neil Young.

This space available… contact owner.