#31 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

AAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#32 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Using salt and pepper is a good, inexpensive way to put flavor in your food. Sandra Lee

#33 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

Tribbles are REAL?!?!?!?!?!
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#34 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

Why is there a cute animal on this thread? angry.gif
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#35 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Apr 4 2008, 10:36 AM) View Post

Response to Deb's 8:21am post. Or are you just anti-bun in general?
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#36 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Behemoth @ Apr 4 2008, 09:03 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Apr 4 2008, 10:36 AM) View Post

Response to Deb's 8:21am post. Or are you just anti-bun in general?

anti-bun???? No more scones? No more biscuits?
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."

#37 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

Pets will take over if we let them.

Oh, angora, got it...
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#38 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Apr 4 2008, 09:21 AM) View Post
Pets will take over if we let them.

Oh, angora, got it...

I was confused, too, as I always think of the goats, but forget about the bunnies.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#39 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

That my sense of humor is so remarkably cerebral is both a blessing and a curse.
-Chomskybot

#40 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

I can't remember if I read this in Time Out or elsewhere, but a passing Dingbat award to whichever music journalist described Nick Lowe as having come out of the 1970s punk scene (he has a gig with Robyn Hitchcock at the Grand Ballroom tomorrow night).

Tell that to Brinsley Schwartz. Lowe was making records ten years before the Sex Pistols, and was involved in the 1970s punk scene primarily as a producer. Hands up anyone who thinks Rockpile was a punk band, and Dave Edmunds a punk? Nobody? Good.
Elect-a-lujah

#41 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,442 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:57 AM

I think the reason people consider Nick Lowe part of the punk movement is because of his affiliation with Stiff Records. (I read that reference as well and found it odd)
Future Legacy Participant.

#42 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:04 AM

I think that whole British Pub Rock scene has sort of been folded into the punk chronology, at least on this side of the pond.

Graham Parker came out of that same scene, but he too is commonly (and perhaps not incorrectly) thought of as a punk artist.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#43 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

I suspect you're right, Seth. It looks very odd from a British perspective (including the take on Parker).

Yes, Lowe was the house producer at Stiff, and recorded the Damned's early releases. His own Stiff album is a real mix of styles. Jesus of Cool, from memory.

I had the great pleasure once of seeing Lowe and Dave Edmunds do an acoustic Everly Brothers set at an NME party. Not very punky.
Elect-a-lujah

#44 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

Although the whole pub-rock, back to mono, small label (i.e., Stiff) thing that preceded punk proper did have its roots in the same rejection of pomp rock.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

Ultimately true, but many of the pub rock bands - including Brinsley Schwartz (Lowe) - should not be thought of as playing anything like early or proto-punk music. Many of those bands rejected pomp rock in favor of country/folkish noodling.

I saw Dire Straits when they were at that stage of their development.

ETA: Aha, Brinsley Schwartz were managed by Dave Robinson, founder of Stiff. I had forgotten that.
Elect-a-lujah