Photo

minnesota mexican (and other latin american foods)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,342 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:02 AM

i recommend highly the tacos at bymore meats in the midtown market--a few counters down from la sirena gorda, right by the door that opens to 10th street or avenue or whatever it is. between us we had 6 different kinds today and they were all excellent: carnitas, asada, pastor (pork adobo), bbq goat, lengua, and longaniza (sp.). this last is described as spicy pork sausage on the menu board, but was referred to by the behind the counter folks as chorizo. what the difference is, i don't know. they have this great spicy aioli kind of sauce that they put out on the counter--anyone know what this might be called? it was yellow-orange in colour, and like a very runny mayonnaise in texture.

and instead of salsa lessons the market featured a nice jazz trio. good times.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,342 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Aug 18 2007, 08:02 PM) View Post
this last is described as spicy pork sausage on the menu board, but was referred to by the behind the counter folks as chorizo. what the difference is, i don't know.

answering my own question

Chorizo and longaniza are Mexican sausages that are speciality items sold within local carnicerias. Chorizo and longaniza are identical products.

The only difference between these products is that longaniza is placed into a casing and processed further.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,103 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Aug 19 2007, 01:34 PM) View Post
QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Aug 18 2007, 08:02 PM) View Post
this last is described as spicy pork sausage on the menu board, but was referred to by the behind the counter folks as chorizo. what the difference is, i don't know.

answering my own question

Chorizo and longaniza are Mexican sausages that are speciality items sold within local carnicerias. Chorizo and longaniza are identical products.

The only difference between these products is that longaniza is placed into a casing and processed further.

"Processed further" means it's placed in direct sunlight for a while, obtaining a certain aged flavor that some would describe as rotten. It's theoretically impossible to produce longaniza in the US.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,103 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

And mongo's link acknowledges this:

If you are choosing to hold and dry longaniza in the Temperature Danger Zone as a method of traditional longaniza curing, it is important to communicate with your local regulator for assistance as this process should be evaluated and may require special approval.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:27 PM

Not new, but I had a great lunch at Sirena Gorda yesterday. "Fish Tinga" tostadas. Mahi mahi marinated in chipotle and then grilled. The tostada had the fish with avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion, and an excellent tomatillo salsa. Served with black beans and rice.

Mongo, was that you leading the salsa dance lessons in the middle of the market?
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,342 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:27 PM

no, 'twas not me--on sundays i have a regular job as a rodeo clown down in albert lea.

however, we were at the midtown market today and very close to la sirena gorda. but i resisted its siren call and checked out the west indian soul food place opposite. got the curry goat special. not the best deal at the market at $12.50, but they do give a decent amount of food: the goat, seasoned rice, a side (i got the plantains) and a cornbread muffin. mrs. jones got the curry chicken version with black-eyed peas instead of plantains. nothing special, alas. i think we are going to go back to tacos for a few visits before checking out other counters.

~homer simpson

#7 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:56 AM

Los Ocampos has fantastic food there. Try the tlacoyos or huaraches. Pre columbian cooking, not something you normally see in your typical Mexican restaurant.
Member #1232

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,342 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:26 PM

thought i'd start a separate thread.

so far our favorite mexican experiences have been in the midtown market--though we haven't looked very hard outside it. excellent seafood tacos--especially the octopus tacos--at la sirena gorda, and very good meat tacos at bymore meats (also in the market). today we decided to expand our horizons, and went all the way to the other side of the market to the outpost of taqueria los ocampo (who have a larger restaurant a couple of blocks up from the market).

i got the menudo, which came with four tortillas (more on these soon) and mrs. jones got the huarache. they have a sign up saying that they make their own masa, and boy oh boy, the plump, roughly formed tortillas were heavenly! mrs. jones was very pleased with her huarache, which i did not try, for fear of getting too full and not being able to finish my heavenly tortillas. the menudo was also very good--and had about 4 lbs of honeycomb tripe in it. lime, lots of toasted arbol chiles, cilantro, and chopped raw onion on the side for customization. i think we will have to go to the main outpost very soon with other people, so as to be able to try their full range.

~homer simpson

#9 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,342 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

pictures of my first meal at la sirena gorda, in november 2006.

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Nov 12 2006, 05:16 PM) View Post
from the midtown market, a week ago:

la sirena gorda

my wonderful octopus tacos

my friend's meal from another stand--something involving a tortilla, chorizo and avocado (quite good too)

me leading an impromptu salsa session in the market--i'm the one with the striped t-shirt and the bald spot

~homer simpson

#10 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:29 PM

that's it. we're moving to Orono.

man, i need a headache

#11 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:42 PM

you have a bald spot?
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#12 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE(foodie52 @ Mar 1 2008, 06:42 PM) View Post
you have a bald spot?

Dunno, I can't see back there.

man, i need a headache

#13 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:03 AM

You should definitely try Pineda Tacos at 311 E Lake Street (there is also one on S. Robert in Saint Paul). Decidedly unglamorous surroundings but very good food.

#14 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,342 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

back at the midtown market today, and back again at the taqueria los ocampo counter. had 5 excellent tacos. started out with one each of al pastor, carnitas, chorizo, and chicharrones in a red chile sauce (prensando?). this last was so amazingly wonderful, i had to get another one of it. i think i'm going to have to do another 3 or 4 meals at this counter before i go anywhere else. mrs. jones got a huarache again, this time with chorizo and potatoes--i ate a bit of it, and it was great. one of the friends we met for lunch got a burrito, and the other got jerk chicken and mashed yams from the caribbean soul food place.

~homer simpson

#15 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:25 PM

Now I'm hungry.