Photo

minnesota mexican (and other latin american foods)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:42 AM

planned my "doomsday" film outing so as to be able to eat at los ocampo taqueria's mothership, right by the midtown market. i had the sope with carnitas, and two tacos, one with the chicharron prensado, and one with lengua. plus a mexican coke. all for $10.

man, this place rocks. i don't know what people who are truly familiar with mexican food would make of it, but it is the best mexican food of its kind that i've ever had. they make their own masa, and the sope is just to die for. it will be very hard for me to make it back to la sirena gorda until i've made my way through everything they sell.

a question for any mexican food mavens who may have clicked on this thread: what are alambres and orden (sp.)? these were listed alongside the tacos.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#17 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Mar 14 2008, 06:42 PM) View Post
planned my "doomsday" film outing so as to be able to eat at los ocampo taqueria's mothership, right by the midtown market. i had the sope with carnitas, and two tacos, one with the chicharron prensado, and one with lengua. plus a mexican coke. all for $10.

man, this place rocks. i don't know what people who are truly familiar with mexican food would make of it, but it is the best mexican food of its kind that i've ever had. they make their own masa, and the sope is just to die for. it will be very hard for me to make it back to la sirena gorda until i've made my way through everything they sell.

a question for any mexican food mavens who may have clicked on this thread: what are alambres and orden (sp.)? these were listed alongside the tacos.

It means the young lass wants you. Bad.
alambres are like kebobs (sp) on a skewer and an orden is an order.
Smile and explain, "Yo soy un hijo de la chingada" and that means you'd like extra hot sauce, on the side.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#18 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:00 AM

but i don't want soy sauce on my tacos!

funny you should mention the language issue. at this shift there was only one english speaker on staff and she was working the cash register. she took my order, but when it came time for picking it up at the other end there was some problem, and as is usual at 99% of hispanic businesses they addressed me in spanish to try and sort it out. of course, i don't help matters by saying "no habla espanol" with a neutral accent (10 years of practice in los angeles). so at first they thought i was yanking their chain. eventually, the other young woman came over and the matter was clarified (they didn't have the chicharron verde, which is why i got the lengua). i didn't think to tell her to tell them all that i'm indian, and for the rest of the time that i was there, i kept getting doubtful looks from the folks behind the counter. i'd like to believe that they thought i was mexican because of how authentic and legit my order was; but, of course, i'm just a generic brown guy. i know how you white people feel when they talk to you in swedish at ikea.

"orden" is order? i could have sworn it was on a board which listed a bunch of things under "tacos" and a bunch of things under "alambres". "orden" was in bold below the "tacos" listing ("tacos" and "alambres" were also in bold) and there were a couple of things listed below it as well. this made me think it was some other genre of snacky goodness. maybe i've confused things written in two different places.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#19 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Mar 14 2008, 09:00 PM) View Post
"orden" is order? i could have sworn it was on a board which listed a bunch of things under "tacos" and a bunch of things under "alambres". "orden" was in bold below the "tacos" listing ("tacos" and "alambres" were also in bold) and there were a couple of things listed below it as well. this made me think it was some other genre of snacky goodness. maybe i've confused things written in two different places.

Maybe they were a la carte and if you got an orden, it included beans and rice, or something like that.
Parents are respected in Mexico, so after you say, Yo soy un hijo de la chingada, smiling of course, and you pick up your "orden" and you say Tu madre, instead of thank you. It just shows more respect to the elders.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#20 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

As I lay in bed last night it dawned on me someone, somewhere may not have known I was pulling sweet Mongo's disgusting beard a little when I gave him advice in Spanish. Never greet a Mexican with 'Tu madre" or any sentence containing the word "chingada". It's a wee bit too strong in any circumstance.

#21 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,716 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Mar 15 2008, 12:50 PM) View Post
As I lay in bed last night it dawned on me someone, somewhere may not have known I was pulling sweet Mongo's disgusting beard a little when I gave him in advice in Spanish. Never greet a Mexican with 'Tu madre" or any sentence containing the word "chingada". It's a wee bit too strong in any circumstance.

I was sure the results of your folly would be covered in mongos local paper

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#22 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,716 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

As I lay in bed last night it dawned on me someone, somewhere may not have known I was pulling sweet Mongo's disgusting beard a little when I gave him in advice in Spanish. Never greet a Mexican with 'Tu madre" or any sentence containing the word "chingada". It's a wee bit too strong in any circumstance.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#23 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Mar 15 2008, 10:34 AM) View Post

that scenario doesn't bother me so much. In fact, it makes me chuckle just a little. I'm thinking of the others.

#24 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,716 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Mar 15 2008, 01:39 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Mar 15 2008, 10:34 AM) View Post

that scenario doesn't bother me so much. In fact, it makes me chuckle just a little. I'm thinking of the others.

the concept of the chingada istruly creative

~Jack Handey

#25 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

having been to a number of soccer games in los angeles, i'm quite well acquainted with the range of spanish invective. if only the l.a coliseum and the rose bowl allowed roving taco vendors, i would have no difficulties with ordering either.

~homer simpson

#26 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

I was entertained by the google translation of the phrase.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#27 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:31 PM

Excellent lunch at the Midtown Market Los Ocampo outpost today. Thanks mongo.

Had the huaraches combo platter with al pastor. The masa cake was excellent and perfectly grilled. The pork had good flavor and was reasonably moist. Their creamy green sauce is excellent but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was (crema with a green chili puree?)

Rice and beans were OK but I think that next time I'll just get a few different tacos.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#28 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

another great lunch at the los ocampo mothership today, en route to buying kids in the hall tix. i got the sope with al pastor, and two tacos (tinga de pollo and lengua)--all excellent, especially the tinga de pollo, which looked boring but was wonderfully tangy with a bite. mrs. jones got the sope with tinga de res--she liked hers a lot too.

~homer simpson

#29 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Mar 14 2008, 11:00 PM) View Post
i didn't think to tell her to tell them all that i'm indian, and for the rest of the time that i was there, i kept getting doubtful looks from the folks behind the counter.

This happens to me all the time but somehow arab/spanish doesn't seem quite as distant on the "random ethnic" scale. I'm jealous, anyways. The Mexican food in U-C is pretty lame.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#30 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Mar 15 2008, 12:25 PM) View Post
I was entertained by the google translation of the phrase.

I hit the translate button, too, just to be sure and the S.O.B. translated it into English as "chingada." laugh.gif
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran