Photo

minnesota mexican (and other latin american foods)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 kuan

kuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Yeah Los Ocampo is my favorite as well. Can't really go back to "regular" Mexican food can you after Los Ocampo?
Member #1232

#32 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Mar 15 2008, 12:00 AM) View Post
but i don't want soy sauce on my tacos!

funny you should mention the language issue. at this shift there was only one english speaker on staff and she was working the cash register. she took my order, but when it came time for picking it up at the other end there was some problem, and as is usual at 99% of hispanic businesses they addressed me in spanish to try and sort it out. of course, i don't help matters by saying "no habla espanol" with a neutral accent (10 years of practice in los angeles). so at first they thought i was yanking their chain. eventually, the other young woman came over and the matter was clarified (they didn't have the chicharron verde, which is why i got the lengua). i didn't think to tell her to tell them all that i'm indian, and for the rest of the time that i was there, i kept getting doubtful looks from the folks behind the counter. i'd like to believe that they thought i was mexican because of how authentic and legit my order was; but, of course, i'm just a generic brown guy. i know how you white people feel when they talk to you in swedish at ikea.

"orden" is order? i could have sworn it was on a board which listed a bunch of things under "tacos" and a bunch of things under "alambres". "orden" was in bold below the "tacos" listing ("tacos" and "alambres" were also in bold) and there were a couple of things listed below it as well. this made me think it was some other genre of snacky goodness. maybe i've confused things written in two different places.

why don't you just learn spanish already???

man, i need a headache

#33 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

speaking ingleesh in an exaggerated mexican accent works for me.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#34 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:16 AM

had to go in to the city for a spot of shopping and you'll never guess where we ended up for a late lunch: taqueria los ocampo! mrs. jones got the huarache de costilla, and man, i wish i'd gotten it--the beef short-ribs were cooked perfectly, and the crusted marinade was heavenly. not that my lunch was bad--two tacos (tinga de res, and the chicharron prensado again) and a plump gordita with carnitas--but that beef was excellent. at the end of the meal i suggested that we might try a different taqueria in the area on our next trip, and mrs. jones looked at me dubiously, and said, "why?"

language question: tinga de res. soft or hard t? short or long "e" sound?

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#35 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Apr 12 2008, 09:16 PM) View Post
had to go in to the city for a spot of shopping and you'll never guess where we ended up for a late lunch: taqueria los ocampo! mrs. jones got the huarache de costilla, and man, i wish i'd gotten it--the beef short-ribs were cooked perfectly, and the crusted marinade was heavenly. not that my lunch was bad--two tacos (tinga de res, and the chicharron prensado again) and a plump gordita with carnitas--but that beef was excellent. at the end of the meal i suggested that we might try a different taqueria in the area on our next trip, and mrs. jones looked at me dubiously, and said, "why?"

language question: tinga de res. soft or hard t? short or long "e" sound?

Hard 't'. Neither short nor long 'e'--it's more like the Canadian 'eh?'.

And has anybody 'splained to you what is chicharrón prensado?

Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#36 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

the chicharron part i know. as far as i could figure out from google, "prensado" refers to pressing. so i guess chicharron prensado is some sort of compressed skin? please to explain further.

so, T(eh)nga de res?

~homer simpson

#37 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Apr 16 2008, 06:47 PM) View Post
the chicharron part i know. as far as i could figure out from google, "prensado" refers to pressing. so i guess chicharron prensado is some sort of compressed skin? please to explain further.

so, T(eh)nga de res?

Chicharrón, in this case, is pork skin, as you probably already know. When it's fried, it puffs up into an addictive snack.

Unfried, it's pressed in a mold (usually circular) and becomes prensado. The big rounds of it that we see here look like they weigh about 8 kilos. Maybe 10. Big, and sold by the kilo, depending on how much you want to buy.

You are the only non-Mexican I know who has ever eaten it.

Not t(eh)nga...it's teen-gah deh rehs. I misunderstood what you were getting at.

Quick guide to Spanish vowel pronunciation:

A.....always 'ah' as in father
E.....always 'eh' as in Canada
I.....always long e
O....always 'o' as in OH!
U....always 'ooooo' as in "Oooo, I just love chicharrón prensado!"
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#38 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:36 AM

thanks for the pronunciation tips. yes, i was asking about "tinga"--should have clarified.

so, is chicharron prensado cooked in a variety of styles? here it is in a reddish, hot sauce, and is addictively delicious. i have to actively restrain myself, and get it only in one taco, and not ask for it as the meat in larger things like sopes or gorditas or huaraches.

~homer simpson

#39 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(cristina @ Apr 16 2008, 08:29 PM) View Post
QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Apr 16 2008, 06:47 PM) View Post

so, T(eh)nga de res?

Chicharrón, in this case, is pork skin, as you probably already know. When it's fried, it puffs up into an addictive snack.

Unfried, it's pressed in a mold (usually circular) and becomes prensado. The big rounds of it that we see here look like they weigh about 8 kilos. Maybe 10. Big, and sold by the kilo, depending on how much you want to buy.

In addition to the pork skin, chicharrón prensado also contains a lot of bits and pieces of the sancocho (meat that is left after the pork skin is fried). I learned more about the process last night by looking at this website: Prensado. Even though the site is written in Spanish, you can see the press that's used to make the prensado. The site also gives the recipe for making the chicharrón prensado itself and I'd be glad to translate it, just as soon as you have a press. Let me know...

Later today I'll post a recipe or two for dishes made with chicharrón prensado.

Mexico Cooks!

#40 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(cristina @ Apr 17 2008, 06:43 AM) View Post
In addition to the pork skin, chicharrón prensado also contains a lot of bits and pieces of the sancocho (meat that is left after the pork skin is fried). I learned more about the process last night by looking at this website: Prensado. Even though the site is written in Spanish, you can see the press that's used to make the prensado. The site also gives the recipe for making the chicharrón prensado itself and I'd be glad to translate it, just as soon as you have a press. Let me know...
Later today I'll post a recipe or two for dishes made with chicharrón prensado.

Good morning! Unfortunately we can't access the link. Is the press thing a man's job or woman's? I'm not sure I am strong enough.
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#41 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:08 PM

Chicharron Prensado

My apologies. Please try the link above. Scroll down to about mid-page and click on Recetas de la Cocina, then scroll down to Chicharrón Prensado.
Mexico Cooks!

#42 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:21 PM

Now for a recipe for tacos de chicharrón prensado!

Tacos de Chicharrón Prensado

Makes approximately 20 tacos

Ingredients:
Vegetable oil
100 grams chicharrón prensado
Pepper to taste

Salsa:
2 chiles guajillos
1 dried chile de árbol
1 medium tomato
1/3 large white onion
1 clove garlic
A fistful of cilantro
Sea salt
Water as needed

Procedure:

On a comal or other griddle, roast the chiles, tomato, onion, pepper, and garlic. Peel the garlic. Blend with as little water as possible until smooth. Fry the salsa in a little vegetable oil, season to taste, and add the chicharrón. Cook until the chicharrón begins to give off some fat, taking care that the mixture doesn't stick.

Pass the tortillas through hot vegetable oil and fill with the chicharrón mixture.

Salsa:
Roast the tomato and onion on the griddle and blend lightly with the cilantro, the chiles, and a little water. Add sea salt to taste.

Mexico Cooks!

#43 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

after the kids in the hall show last night, a bunch of us ended up at los ocampo for a late dinner of tacos etc.. mrs. jones and i both got the huarache de costilla, she with beef, me with pork. the huarache itself was excellent, but the meats were a little dried out--probably not the best thing to order at the end of the kitchen's day. i also got two chicharron tacos. i was only going to get the prensado but they had the chicharron verde as well (they always seem to be out) and so i could not resist. both excellent. the rest of our crew seemed generally pleased with their tacos, though the one raw food'ist in the party had to sit and watch us glumly.

~homer simpson

#44 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Mongo, for the first time in a long time, the other day I prepared the chicharrón prensado recipe in my last post. I wasn't satisfied with it; it needs to be pumped up a little. I think my chiles de árbol were too old, for one thing. It might need a wee touch of vinegar, too, and a little more salt than I used this time. But hey, it was quite edible and the chicharrón (quarter kilo from my butcher) only cost 10 pesos. For that kind of money I can afford to make mistakes.
Mexico Cooks!

#45 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

i don't know if i will ever make it myself, cristina--my cholesterol count may be too high for that. but it is good to find out a little more about how it is prepared. your recipe, especially the addition of vinegar, sounds close to the version here at los ocampo.

~homer simpson