169 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:24 PM

Plans to eat some jamon at the eponymous bar were set aside when it turned out to be closed in the afternoon (although packed with restaurant staff tucking into their between-shift meal :D ).

The Casa remains open throughout the day, though, so we ordered some hand-sliced ham (pleasant, thickly cut, soft-textured, but not the powerfully-flavored dried ham I had hoped for), with slices of pan con tomate and a frisee salad which contributed slices of manchego to a "ham and cheese sandwich".

Hot stuff? Croquetas de bacalao, pleasant enough, on a slighty dessert-ish lemon aioli, very good sweet red peppers stuffed with oxtail, and a disastrously unbalanced combo of hyper-salty quail and vinegary figs. The latter would have been sent back if we hadn't already somewhat over-ordered (this was a snack).

This is my second visit recently (thought I'd posted about the other, but can't find it). The food continues to be very hit and miss; given that fact, and the hugger mugger crowd at peak times, this remains an occasional snack joint rather than a restaurant where I'd make an effort to dine.

Makes me want to start a thread on just why the heck we can't have a regular, Spanish-style tapas bar in New York (like we apparently can't get a decent paella).
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 eatpie

eatpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:56 PM

Wilfred (sorry about the slight on Kasadela) - The new tapas place on 10th ave and 22nd that was in yesterday's NYTimes (Tia Pol) may be your answer. Buddy of mine who reviews restaurants said it's fantastic.
Q: What happens when your fat pants become your skinny pants?
A: Buy drawstring.

#3 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:05 PM

I vaguely remember reading about a particular type of tapas bar in, I think, San Sebastian, where they serve only canned or jarred items such as different types of tuna, roasted peppers, mushrooms, etc. One would think that that format could be easily executed here since there would be practically no need for an actual kitchen, nor a chef for that matter. Import the necessary items as well as a large assortment of fino sherries and voila, San Sebastian/NYC.

So...I'm waiting......
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:08 PM

I think there's someone doing that somewhere :D

Yes, Sample:

http://newyork.citys..._4___profile__1

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:21 PM

Thats great Orik, thanks. Prof Wilfrid should get his arse over there :D
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:29 PM

and the new place in Manhattan, mentioned om another thread, is Tia Pol:

http://newyork.citys...__0_profile_2_1

no idea if it's any good.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:46 PM

Wilfred (sorry about the slight on Kasadela)

:D :D

I forgot that was you. These multiple identities are confusing!
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 eatpie

eatpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:03 PM

I have online multiple personality disorder.
Q: What happens when your fat pants become your skinny pants?
A: Buy drawstring.

#9 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:37 PM

Sometimes you just get lucky. After a drizzly stroll through the greenmarket, we walked a couple blocks over to a relatively full Casa Mono for a quick lunch. Only my second visit. My first was fine--good but nothing special. This visit, on the other hand, turned out to be surprisingly and consistently delicious.

We ordered three items from the regular menu and two from the tasting.

Langoustines a la plancha
Ramps with sunny side egg and romesco
Fried frog's legs with potatoes and sherried onion marmalade
Quail with rhubarb
Tripe with chickpeas and morcilla

Let me tell you--every dish was a winner. I can't remember the last time I was so pleasantly surprised by what came out of a kitchen. I'm not convinced that our meal wasn't some lucky aberration, but I'll find out soon enough.

The langoustines were great. Simply and perfectly cooked, three large specimens that were sweet, smoky, nicely charred, and very fresh. Probably the second best langoustine dish I've had in the States. Came with a citrus-heavy salad that was too acidic for me but whatever. I was tempted to order a couple more plates.

Ramps with sunny side egg and romesco was very good. Spicy romesco over a couple pieces of grilled bread topped with wilted ramps and a sunny side egg. The ramps got a touch lost in this assertively flavored dish, but it still worked like a charm. A piece of bread, plenty of runny, rich yolk, and a bit of romesco. Delicious.

The frog's legs were lightly breaded, cripsy, rightly seasoned, and very tender. A great combination of textures. They were accompanied by a potato salad--creamy fingerlings in a slightly creamy, herb-intensive vinaigrette and some sherried onion marmalade. Also very good.

The quail were simply prepared--split, seasoned, cooked just shy of medium, and pretty much all you could want out of such a simple dish. Some soft, pleasant rhubarb. Perhaps another component that I'm blanking on.

The tripe with chickpeas and morcilla was simple, rich, and flavorful. Falling apart tripe, highly seasoned morcilla, small bits of another, smaller sausage, with a bit of oil and chickpeas. Delicious.

I can't imagine that a diner should expect to eat as well as we did. Certainly we would've heard reports by now. But on a day when the kitchen is on--with respect to seasoning and execution--and the ingredients fresh and the dishes not too ambitious, it can turn out a great meal.

Drank a bottle of manzanilla.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#10 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

I concur about the food being better than ever....yes,I fess up to being a friend of the house,and have eaten at Mono many times.But a lunch with my mom last Monday was the best meal ever there-everything ;patatas bravas,langoustine ala plancha,skirt steak,duck egg with mojama,ramps with romesco....were spot on delicious,washed down with a nice tempranillo.
G*d is in the details...

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:34 PM

Casa Mono has no tables for tonight. Tia Pol is closed on Mondays. I have to think of a place in the next hour. Has to be south of 23rd St. Has to have good wine (I'm going with a wine biz person). Don't want fancy at all. Otto is too noisy. Help.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:42 PM

Bellavitae closed on Mondays. Made a res a Lo Scalco. What about Alta?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#13 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:42 PM

Casa Mono has no tables for tonight. Tia Pol is closed on Mondays. I have to think of a place in the next hour. Has to be south of 23rd St. Has to have good wine (I'm going with a wine biz person). Don't want fancy at all. Otto is too noisy. Help.

The new Craftbar maybe?
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#14 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:44 PM

I was there for lunch!

#15 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:44 PM

Bellavitae closed on Mondays. Made a res a Lo Scalco. What about Alta?

Alta would probably work. I recall the wine list being decent, though I didn't eat anything. Just had a glass of rose at the bar.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids