171 replies to this topic

#166 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

What time were you there that it was empty? This was a Sunday?

#167 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,966 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

again, last night was a dead night.. It was the Sunday after thanksgiving.. If people were home, they were either eating leftovers, not eating, or getting an early sleep recovering from the weekend.. The city was dead last night.. We went to 11 Madison, we went to Bierria, we walked by several places, all had very few people in..  

You want to see it empty again,  check it out New Years day, right when they open.. You will have the place all to yourselves.. It's our yearly tradition. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#168 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

again, last night was a dead night.. It was the Sunday after thanksgiving.. If people were home, they were either eating leftovers, not eating, or getting an early sleep recovering from the weekend.. The city was dead last night.. We went to 11 Madison, we went to Bierria, we walked by several places, all had very few people in..  

You want to see it empty again,  check it out New Years day, right when they open.. You will have the place all to yourselves.. It's our yearly tradition. 

Makes perfect sense. Like our dinner at EMP this past July 3rd.

#169 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

I sure hope this plan doesn't screw up Casa Mono too much.

The big, brassy La Sirena from Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich is about to get an overlay. And it’s going to feel a lot like Casa Mono & Bar Jamon —staff included. The restaurant-within-a-restaurant will debut later this month in the space that separates dining rooms — with its 38-foot long, white Caesarstone bar, high ceilings, and Portuguese mosaic floors.

In a property that spans a city block, La Sirena opened in Chelsea’s Maritime Hotel close to this time last year.

A source tells Eater that one of the Casa Mono chefs — either Andy Nusser or Anthony Sasso — will make the move to Chelsea, a spokesperson for the restaurant confirmed, overseeing a tapas menu, with cocktails that highlight sherry and variations on the gin and tonic. Though the dramatic space needs no updates, a few cosmetic changes will mark the transition.

#170 villagerOFtheEast

villagerOFtheEast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

It's definitely Sasso and it sounds like he has been partly away from Casa Mono working on this since Halloween.

#171 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,966 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

Casa Mono is our special place.. We  go to this restaurant almost more than any other place... Well, outside of Romans.   We sit at the counter and marvel at how streamline everything is.. 

That's the kitchen... A small plancha, a broiler, a couple of burners and two small fryers..   There are usually one or two people making the entire menu during lunch service. like everything, it's all about the prep. you figure that out and just have people assembling things during service..   easy peazy  :P  

37604961286_ed9b6e1895_c.jpg

Pan con tomate:

37395986320_abd7080c4a_c.jpg

A simple version.. bread is obviously grilled well.. I was kind of surprised how lifeless the tomato the use.. I also add a rub of garlic to mine but, yeh, it was good bread and a kind of bad tomato.. good non the less.. 

Uni, eggs, lime and walnuts:

23801003698_1a7c17f050_c.jpg

so easy, so delicious.. crushed walnuts and walnut oil.. the perfect bite has you taste the eggs, then the ocean, ,then the lime and finishing with the crunch and taste of walnuts.. it's lovely and we get it every time.. 

Fried baby squid with a spicy okra and tomato stew... Topped with pickled ramp roots.. not ramps, but the frizzy roots that have been pickled and fried.. 

36983043493_54409e6225_c.jpg

Fideos and clams:

37605279516_c30cb55347_c.jpg

another classic dish here.. My friend would say, it's unimprovable.. I agree..  you have the classic spaghetti and clams and then you add a garlic mayo.. it has flavor, it has creamy texture.. life is good, this is great.. 

Coconut curry scallops:

37604964826_c7e68b22cd_c.jpg

scallops were cooked perfectly.. The curry sauce was a coconut base.. i don't know, scallops are boring to me these days.. it was a solid dish, lovely that it was in a procession... now that I tried it, i wouldn't get it again. 

Lamb with couscous.. 

36943363974_b2681cb994_c.jpg

this was a highlight..tender lamb that has been cooked in a tangine and then heated on the flat top served with a beautiful mixture of rehydrated raisins and apricots, served with couscous and like a riata... the lamb was beautiful, the sauce was great.. all is good.. 

Pig  ears:

I love pig ears.. i get this almost every time.. i didn't like it this time.. outside of the over cooked egg, the ears themselves were not crunchy and the sauce hadn't really added much.. it was all kind of flat.. still good but, no great.. 

36943355414_05c85e4904_c.jpg

they comped us a sausage dish that was delivered to us without us ordering.. when we notified them, they just said, keep it.. And the chef sent us this dessert which apparently isn't on the menu.. creme fraiche ice cream, coffee ice cream and then he poured sherry over everything right in front of us.. It was fantastic. .he sold two more sherry's from that.. 

36943352284_7e91b43c75_c.jpg

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#172 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

Glad to hear that Casa Mono's (mostly) still very good.