#17 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Nathan @ Apr 1 2008, 04:20 PM) View Post
also the burger at Noble Food & Wine. (a place which has somehow avoided foodie notice despite having by far the most spectacular wine by the glass list in NY....competing with Milwaukee's Pizza Man in depth though not breadth)

I took a hit for the team.

I am willing to believe this business has changed hands since Nathan visited - or maybe Milwaukee's Pizza Man has an inflated reputation.

On the regular list, five wines by the glass altogether, and they're poor. The bottle list is acceptable for a middle-sized restaurant, but to give you some idea, there are two Bordeauxs and two Burgundies. Mostly Italian and American, and nothing to make it a wine geek destination.

And so we come to the Enomatic system, which claims to keep opened bottles fresh for some forty five days, which should make it possible to offer interesting, rare and expensive wines by the glass (or half glass). Noble F&W has seven wines on this list - bringing the grand total offered by the glass to twelve. This fell short of my expectations, as did the selection available and the prices.

I am sure they rotate this list, but I can only report what I saw. A Chilean pinot noir, a Chianti Classico, a Bandol, a Bordeaux, something Spanish... All quite young (2002 was the oldest vintage), and as far as I can ascertain, all priced in the $20 to $40 bottle range retail.

The prices on the list per glass ranged from $14 into the twenties, a horrible mark-up (edit: I guess it's really only the usual 300% mark-up, but the comment reflects my disappointment with what was offered).

The servers have no knowledge of wine. But in any case, since only one table - mine, sadly - was occupied during a peak slot, we may not have to worry about the place much longer.

The Monday Room, with fifty well-chosen wines by the glass and extraordinary wine service is right around the corner. And that is where I went.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#18 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

yeah, shouldn't be long for the road. reports not promising, likely why it wasn't reviewed. seem some key staff left last fall, i remember seeing it on yelp or metromix or one of those sites that do user reviews
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#19 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:11 PM

I think the first chef, ex-Maremma, has left. Can't confirm it, but he certainly wasn't cooking the night I was there.

User reviews on the web repeatedly report the place empty.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#20 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

More details on the wine and curious wine service at the Pig today.
Elect-a-lujah

#21 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

I believe you.

I only made it soon after it opened...and the glass list was much more extensive than that.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#22 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

That makes sense. There's a doomsday feel about the place.
Elect-a-lujah

#23 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,263 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:28 AM

Entwine is not the greatest name, nor does it boast a destination wine list, but I dropped by because it's just around the corner from Recette. I did enjoy the ambience - nice old townhouse conversion with a thick, beaten-up wooden bar and comfortable old furniture. Pretty quiet while I was there.

#24 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:03 AM

on the topic of far WV winebars - anyone been to Upholstery Store? The Gutenbrenner place. The cash only policy has kept me away to be honest

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#25 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE(Anthony Bonner @ Feb 9 2010, 03:03 AM) View Post
on the topic of far WV winebars - anyone been to Upholstery Store? The Gutenbrenner place. The cash only policy has kept me away to be honest

i wish i could tell you more but i was only there once, for the opening. it was plenty fun but it was bastille day, and it was the last stop of the (looong) night, so i was likely three sheets to the wind, although more like five laugh.gif

i totally get the cash only policy resistance though dry.gif

#26 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

Last night, the first of several when it wasn't pouring, inspired a Nolita-Soho-EV wine bar crawl. We started at Eight Mile Creek-- good tuna tartare, very forgettable selection of wines by the glass. Then on to N, for good flamenco, a great crowd, nice wine. A shout out to the fellow who not only gave me his seat but a dish of olives as well. We ended up in old favorite Frank, where $60 including tip got the two of us two glasses of quite drinkable wine each, and one very generous 'meat and cheese platter' consisting of hunks of mildly spicy soppresatta and a fairly lavish helping of very good Parmigiana as well as copious bread, olive oil, olives. I got involved in a conversation about Easter traditions with the friendly chap sitting next to us but was distracted by his pasta which smelled so good I wanted to grab the bowl. Frank is cash only, btw.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#27 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,263 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

I haven't seen much buzz about By The Ounce, the awkwardly named wine bar in what was once Bouley Bakery. Is Shea Gallante no longer associated with it?

#28 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Apr 2 2010, 02:46 PM) View Post
I haven't seen much buzz about By The Ounce, the awkwardly named wine bar in what was once Bouley Bakery. Is Shea Gallante no longer associated with it?

long gone from Bouley's heaving chest

#29 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:26 PM

anyone been to Upholstery Store?

Yes, last week. I had it on my giant Google map o' restaurants for some reason that I've forgotten (probably the oysters with uni), so I decided to go with three other people. I studied the website, with its appealing menu and lovely photos, and I scanned the mostly positive Yelp reviews. Both convinced me that I was going to have a really stellar meal, and I couldn't figure out why I hadn't encountered more favorable mentions of the place. Spoiler alert: Because it's not all that.

The space is very comfortable, lots of elbow room, nicely decorated, cool sliding bathroom door with a counterweight to close it when you leave. Our server was excellent. And some of the food was great. I loved the red endive salad, even though it contained stealth radicchio, which I don't much care for. The drinks are very good; I had the Fairy Godmother, hold the simple syrup. My companions enjoyed the octopus, hanger steak and lobster roll. We were comped the chocolate pot de creme for no particular reason, which is a nice thing.

But there were problems. The kitchen staff is either clueless, or they've been told to skimp on the fancier ingredients, or both. Those oysters are supposed to come with uni and pickled celery, or salmon roe and chives. Ours came sans celery and sans chives and for one of us, sans uni (we sent those back to be replaced, obviously). The amount of uni was pretty stingy, too, not remotely like this. And that miserliness recurred in my main dish, the squid ink pasta with scallops and caviar. It's cheap - $22 - so I wasn't expecting a festival of fish eggs and bivalves. I was expecting more than three leaf-thin scallop slivers, though, and I was also expecting them to be topped with hackleback caviar, as seen here. Nope, I got the salmon roe again. So I recommend a cruise through the restaurant's Instagram feed, which is just gorgeous. The restaurant itself, not so much. Maybe I'm too hard on them - anyone have a finer time?

#30 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:40 AM

So did you show them the insta pics? 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns