#31 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:15 AM

So did you show them the insta pics? 

I would have if I'd been alone. Maybe. Probably not. I dislike confrontation. Online, I'm more willing to let my pique flag fly.

#32 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:52 AM

Ruffian is a really solid option in the EV.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#33 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,239 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:58 PM

June in Cobble Hill looks good. If not convenient (to me personally).

#34 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,239 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:01 PM

Replaced the Big Gay ice cream place? Good tip.

#35 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:09 AM

It replaced what was once the Butter Lane classroom space. It's next to Big Gay.

#36 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Looks like there is going to be a new wine bar at the corner of Division and Pike Streets.

The Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) advocacy group chose a wine bar tenant to occupy the new storefront carved out of their “Housing and Community Services” building at 1 Pike Street (aka 111 Division). The community organization downsized its footprint in the ground level last year, and instead decided to convert the new space to a “wet” use. (Lost office space was relocated across the street to 2 Allen.) Plywood shed was removed several months ago, and awaited its inevitable occupancy.

The proposed wine bar is by Hui Quan, who apparently owns a computer business in the vicinity. It’ll boast thirty seats and double as a cafe during daytime hours. Scope out the inside, as the room is really starting to take shape.

#37 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Checked it out last night. Some interesting wines available, to be sure. Great host.

Not cheap...I think the least expensive btg option was $13. Wines btg change every 10 days or so.

#38 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

The inflation in prices at good wine bars is pretty stark. I think VdT's prices wouldn't have even stood out a few years ago – now they're conspicuously cheap. Are there any other good deal spots in that vein?

#39 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:08 AM

Checked it out last night. Some interesting wines available, to be sure. Great host.

Not cheap...I think the least expensive btg option was $13. Wines btg change every 10 days or so.

Good, unique wine list, if not cheap. Outsider food.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#40 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

A natural wine bar opened near us a few months ago. We've been once, were not wowed. You all can check their current list and tell me if I should be or not. FWIW, the pao de queijo (the only thing we ate) wasn't very good.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#41 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,239 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

When the cheapest BTG hits $15, you might as well buy a bottle even if you don't want to drink it all. (Might happen.)

#42 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:48 AM

What's "outsider food"?

#43 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:48 AM

What's "outsider food"?

Like outsider art.

Lamb ribs topped with granola and yogurt.

That sort of thing.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#44 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:22 PM

Passeggiata-ing the east village last evening, we restopped into Ruffian and enjoyed a couple of glasses, then walked back to a place we had previously passed, called Bibi, where we had another glass and a quick snack.

Very friendly, and I was informed they make a good chicken pot pie by the bartender; this was after I mentioned the demise of a place we kinda liked, Nobody is Perfect, for their rotisserie chicken with fries and a salad, at under $40. Evidently, said bartender had previously worked there. 

I don't know that I can spend more time at Ruffian than it takes to quaff a glass of wine; it's so cramped it makes me a little (more) neurotic (than I already am).