47 replies to this topic

#1 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:18 PM

I'm afraid to look at any headlines. China, Myanmar. The east coast...
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#2 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

don't forget tornado alley, up in Oklahoma and Missouri

I wonder whether some plate stress led to both the Myanmar and China disasters
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#3 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:31 AM

Jaymes drove through that headwall around Joplin when she was coming down Saturday. I worried about her drive back home all Sunday evening.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#4 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:55 PM

Freakish (and heartwrenching). If frogs start falling from the sky, I'm movin' to Venus.

#5 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(GG Mora @ May 13 2008, 01:55 PM) View Post
Freakish (and heartwrenching). If frogs start falling from the sky, I'm movin' to Venus.

http://paranormal.ab...y/aa082602a.htm
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#6 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

We have thunderstorms passing through StL this morning. I'd forgot what Missouri skies can look like, the swirls & churning patterns in the clouds that can stretch for miles. You don't see these sorts of clouds back east.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

I think I might move back to Bristol. Drizzle is comparatively harmless.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(memesuze @ May 12 2008, 07:20 PM) View Post
I wonder whether some plate stress led to both the Myanmar and China disasters

National Geographic did a special a few years back called Ring of Fire. This TV program looked at the circle of volcanos ranging from Indonesia, under the Pacific to Hawaii, under the Pacific to Alaska, along the shoreline off China and the Phillipines, off the Thai coast, and back to Indonesia.

Many are active volcanos, and most have relationships with the various tectonic plates associated with earthquakes. There's been an enormous amount of rumbling in recent years.

[Sensitive political filter on] There's been some progress in installing the undersea warning devices which signal earthquake and tsunami events, but bringing a large number of fiercely independent nations on board isn't an easy task.[/Sensitive political filter off]
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#9 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

The whole notion of plate tectonics has always fascinated me. Today's NYTimes confirms my thought about China. I guess Myanmar was strictly an above-the sea cyclone.

Anyone interested in a relatively easy way to get into the subject should look at Simon Winchester's A Crack in the Edge of the World, about the San Francisco earthquake.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

Let's not forget about the volcano in Chile. If the plume collapses, it could be disastrous.

#11 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:38 AM

Big thunderstorm headed our way. A tornado sighted about 15 miles up the road. I think I'm going to stay up with the TV on until this is over....
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#12 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:09 AM

be safe. i've only recently discovered that minnesota is part of tornado alley as well and that the major hailstorm in our town the year before we arrived was related to the tornadoes that touched down one county over....

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#13 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ May 14 2008, 11:09 PM) View Post
be safe. i've only recently discovered that minnesota is part of tornado alley as well and that the major hailstorm in our town the year before we arrived was related to the tornadoes that touched down one county over....

Always look on the bright side, eh?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#14 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:14 AM

Speaking of which, living in NY, do G and I need flooding and earthquake insurance? (More than half-serious....co-op policy renewal and all that.)
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#15 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ May 14 2008, 11:14 PM) View Post
Speaking of which, living in NY, do G and I need flooding and earthquake insurance? (More than half-serious....co-op policy renewal and all that.)

your insurance broker can give best advice but flood insurance is always a good thing if there's important mechanical stuff and storage in the basement. not every insurer offers it, though. we have flood insurance on our house.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*