yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ May 14 2008, 11:21 PM) View Post
QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ May 14 2008, 11:14 PM) View Post
Speaking of which, living in NY, do G and I need flooding and earthquake insurance? (More than half-serious....co-op policy renewal and all that.)

your insurance broker can give best advice but flood insurance is always a good thing if there's important mechanical stuff and storage in the basement. not every insurer offers it, though. we have flood insurance on our house.

There's something about NY being around tidal rivers that don't flood and therefore one should not bother with flood insurance.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#17 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,764 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ May 14 2008, 11:24 PM) View Post
Speaking of which, living in NY, do G and I need flooding and earthquake insurance? (More than half-serious....co-op policy renewal and all that.)

your insurance broker can give best advice but flood insurance is always a good thing if there's important mechanical stuff and storage in the basement. not every insurer offers it, though. we have flood insurance on our house.

There's something about NY being around tidal rivers that don't flood and therefore one should not bother with flood insurance.

there used to be a creek running under the house next door to us and at least once a year they have to bring everything out of their basement to try to salvage it, in the sun, after a massive flood. less of an issue in manhattan, i'd guess. the insurance folks have charts showing the likelihood of flooding in your immediate area. you can also look these up yourself

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#18 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

Whew, last night's three consecutive storms rolling through were more than frog-stranglers. Foodie52, I hope your car survived the hail. I saw pictures this morning from the Tarrytown area with a baseball-sized piece of hail and an backyard with accumulated hailstones more than a foot-deep.

The ever-present warnings about rotations showing up in the radar had me wishing I had an emergency bag packed. With my bum leg, I'd never get a queen-sized mattress dragged inside the small bathroom with a tub that's on an interior wall. I'd just have to hold on tight to the plumbing and hope for the best. Texas, land of big sunsets and big storms.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#19 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ May 14 2008, 11:24 PM) View Post

Your building may have a master policy covering floods and insurance damage, you might want to check with the board, etc on what is covered.

Much of lower Manhattan, and many parts of the east side are only a few feet above sea level. A level 3-4-5 hurricane hitting at the river's high tide could put them under a few feet of water. Many parts of Jersey City, Brooklyn and Queens have the same problem.

Many areas of Manhattan, in particular, are built on filled in water areas. The area east of Water Street, Turtle Bay, Kip's Bay, much of Battery Park City, etc are all built on fill.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#20 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ May 15 2008, 08:27 AM) View Post
Your building may have a master policy covering floods and insurance damage, you might want to check with the board, etc on what is covered.

I am the board. It's the master policy we're renewing.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#21 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE(GG Mora @ May 13 2008, 05:55 AM) View Post
If frogs start falling from the sky, I'm movin' to Venus.

I don't think you really meant it, but here it is....

#22 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ May 15 2008, 10:41 AM) View Post

Thank god they didn't fall from the sky.

#23 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(GG Mora @ May 15 2008, 08:35 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ May 15 2008, 10:41 AM) View Post

Thank god they didn't fall from the sky.

That whole movie was ruined for me by that sequence... ohmy.gif

#24 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

It's pouring frogs and hats,
chrysanthemums and poodles
bananas, broom and cats.
Assorted prunes and parrots
are dropping from the sky
here comes a bunch of carrots,
some hippopotami.

It's raining pens and pickles
and eggs and silverware.
a flood of figs and nickles
is falling through the air.
I see a swan, a sweater
a clock, a model train.
I like this so much better
than when it's raining rain.

Jack Perlutsky
rolleyes.gif

"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#25 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

how about 98 degree weather in san francisco?! and a heat index of 107!!!
people are playing in the sprinklers at dolores park.

squeat, how are you holding up?

#26 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

It's supposed to be 30 degrees here tomorrow....the heat is going up so fast that the radiators are still on in my building. It's going to be a bad bad day. (For you Americans: 30 = 86 or fucking hot for Vancouver )

#27 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(cstuart @ May 15 2008, 01:14 PM) View Post
how about 98 degree weather in san francisco?! and a heat index of 107!!!
people are playing in the sprinklers at dolores park.

squeat, how are you holding up?

Thanks for thinking of me. I am sitting here at my desk in the office soaked in sweat and openly weeping. sad.gif

(Though is hard to be entirely miserable knowing that the California Supreme Court have done the right thing.)
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#28 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

We huddled in the center of the house for about 15 minutes while ice fell from the sky. Nataly's garden is destroyed, John's car had a headlight smashed and my car has a few dings... the streets are covered in leaves and broken limbs. We got off easy, compared to other areas of town.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#29 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(foodie52 @ May 15 2008, 09:33 PM) View Post
We huddled in the center of the house for about 15 minutes while ice fell from the sky. Nataly's garden is destroyed, John's car had a headlight smashed and my car has a few dings... the streets are covered in leaves and broken limbs. We got off easy, compared to other areas of town.

Holy Shit Jane!! I'm glad you guys are OK though.

#30 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(foodie52 @ May 15 2008, 02:33 PM) View Post

God is still very mad at Texas. Now, why would that be?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed