Photo

Do you care about location when you dine out?

• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#781 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

Eisenberg's is one of those places I eat at quiet frequently because of proximity to my showroom  Not to mention, it's one of the few places that sells a Lime Rickey. Even if I don't order food,  i buy one of these. Today, i was hung over.  Lime Rickey, Brisket sandwich and a coffee.  Ate half the sandwich.. There never is a shortage of homeless guys in Madison Square Park  to give the other half to..

Not the best food but, it's a fun place to sit and eat.. I was sitting at the counter next to a group of ladies who were spending their first times in NYC.. 

15496784182_cb325985c5_z.jpg

I was in that nabe for something last week and hit eisenberg's as well. Perfect description

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#782 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,270 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:22 AM

Because Sneak doesn't read Twitter: a midtown bar and grill (Wayfarer, who cares?) I walked into because too early for an appointment, had a curated signature cocktail list, $17 and up.

But had run out of dry vermouth. And had no substitutes.

#783 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,247 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:02 AM

Heh. Did you have a cocktail at Chevalier? Mine was fine. But one notes the price.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#784 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:53 PM

I think some of y'all have something  very specific in mind when you talk of a "restaurant scene," and not finding that in midtown, you fail to see that it has a very midtownish restaurant scene.  Bar at the Modern.  Toloache.  dB Bistro Moderne.  Ai Fiori.  Boulud Sud.  Betony.

It may not be your scene; but it's a scene, and a pretty distinctive one.

Toloache????? You would EVER go to Toloache if you weren't going to a show or something as well?

Who is travelling from another neighbourhood to dB Bistro Moderne? Is it predinner before a big night at the Penn Club?

Should not be necessary any more. Chris Gesualdi (ex-Montrachet, NY Times three stars) is the executive chef there now.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#785 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,270 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:33 AM

Dining aside, recent Manhattan weekend nights, I’ve had reason to be in the Theater District, midtown, the West Village and the LES for drinks and/or dinner.

I much prefer being above 42nd Street, and it isn’t noticeably more expensive any more.

I don’t even know if this is controversial, but I’d rather be in the 21 Club than Employees Only (which I know is not what it was), or Nitecap. Different kinds of awful people, some quieter and taking up less room than others.

Speaking of which, anyone been to Norwood House? That is a crowd.

#786 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,247 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:13 AM

Manhattan is so over.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#787 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,270 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:14 AM

My remarks are indeed consciously confined to Manhattan. I would be elsewhere at weekends if the L was a sleek and sophisticated artery.

#788 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,924 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

Manhattan is so over.

Manhattan is like Las Vegas to me... The only places that I like going to are in Chinatown.  And both of those areas are being rapidly gentrified. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.