77 replies to this topic

#1 The Princess

The Princess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

I will be in Seattle and Vancouver for the first time from June 22 to June 29, are there any place I must eat at? So far I was told that I have to go to the Pike Market and eat at Matt's, the young college crowd thinks I should check out Tamarind Tree, and Suzanne Fass said I must go to Union. Are there anywhere else? Anyone free to share a meal/coffee with me during that time would be most welcome, since I will be traveling alone.

#2 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(The Princess @ May 30 2008, 06:55 PM) View Post
I will be in Seattle and Vancouver for the first time from June 22 to June 29, are there any place I must eat at? So far I was told that I have to go to the Pike Market and eat at Matt's, the young college crowd thinks I should check out Tamarind Tree, and Suzanne Fass said I must go to Union. Are there anywhere else? Anyone free to share a meal/coffee with me during that time would be most welcome, since I will be traveling alone.

How much time are you spending in Vancouver? What kind of food are you looking for? Vancouver is known for it's asian food, so if that's of any interest, I can definitely help. Actually I can help with most of Vancouver.

Seattle is a gorgeous city and I love visiting. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Union, so I think that is a must for you.

#3 The Princess

The Princess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

I love Asian food. I know the Punjabi food in Vancouver is supposedly phenomenal, but I really don't know where to go. Sushi is great too I heard. I will be in Vancouver from Wed 6/25 to Sat morning 6/28, and welcome all suggestions and eating companions.

#4 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

So I gather you are in Seattle on June 22nd through the 24th? I'll be out of town, dang!

We just had another fabulous meal at Union (pics to be posted soon I hear) so I, of course, highly recommend that. The chef/owner Ethan Stowell recently opened his latest restaurant How to Cook a Wolf which has a dining bar that is great for single diners.

Matt's is always fantastic. You can check out some pics from our recent lunch there in the Pike Place Market lunch crawl thread. Another good place in the market is Steelhead Diner for brunch. I'm not in love with it for lunch and dinner but I've enjoyed my brunches there. Tamarind Tree is good - but I imagine that you have good Vietnamese back home? If not, definitely go.

Where are you staying?
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#5 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE(The Princess @ May 30 2008, 11:55 AM) View Post

Harvest Vine.
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." —Dalai Lama

#6 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ May 30 2008, 08:21 PM) View Post
So I gather you are in Seattle on June 22nd through the 24th? I'll be out of town, dang!

We just had another fabulous meal at Union (pics to be posted soon I hear) so I, of course, highly recommend that. The chef/owner Ethan Stowell recently opened his latest restaurant How to Cook a Wolf which has a dining bar that is great for single diners.

Matt's is always fantastic. You can check out some pics from our recent lunch there in the Pike Place Market lunch crawl thread. Another good place in the market is Steelhead Diner for brunch. I'm not in love with it for lunch and dinner but I've enjoyed my brunches there. Tamarind Tree is good - but I imagine that you have good Vietnamese back home? If not, definitely go.

Where are you staying?

I have to agree with brunch at Steelhead, plus they mix a fine negroni....a good stop at around 3pm.

#7 The Princess

The Princess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE(Lauren @ May 30 2008, 04:21 PM) View Post

Where are you staying?

Some friends recommend the Alexis hotel. It seemed rather nice, so I will try to see if they have room for me and dog

#8 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(The Princess @ May 30 2008, 09:56 PM) View Post
Some friends recommend the Alexis hotel. It seemed rather nice, so I will try to see if they have room for me and dog

Whew, that's a relief. When you said you were traveling alone, I was thinking, "but...but..." tongue.gif

What's up with Lark/Licorous lately?
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#9 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(The Princess @ May 30 2008, 06:56 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Lauren @ May 30 2008, 04:21 PM) View Post

Where are you staying?

I really like Kimpton Hotels. They are all pet friendly and there are three in Seattle so, if the Alexis is full or doesn't work out, you may want to look into the others.

Kimpton's Seattle Properties

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#10 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ May 31 2008, 11:27 AM) View Post
I really like Kimpton Hotels. They are all pet friendly and there are three in Seattle so, if the Alexis is full or doesn't work out, you may want to look into the others.

Kimpton's Seattle Properties

I loved the Monaco when I stayed there. Especially because when I checked in, I was asked, "Are you familiar with our goldfish program?" I was given one in a bowl to keep me company during my stay.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#11 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(Cathy @ May 31 2008, 07:13 AM) View Post
What's up with Lark/Licorous lately?

Much easier to get into (at least during the week,) but still going strong. Stopped in for dessert a couple of weeks ago and my guest took a card as a reminder to go for dinner next time - the savory menu almost made us skip dessert (and we had just eaten dinner at Txori!) Desserts were lovely as well.

The neighborhood/street has changed so much over the past 5 years. They got them themselves a great location afterall.

#12 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

Put Lark on your list, Princess.

-- Francis Mallman

#13 The Princess

The Princess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

Will do. Thanks Cathy! I am sure I can get a doggie bag for Dylan from there as well. Any of you Seattle dweller want to go as well? I don't mind eating alone, but it's much more fun when there are more people and you can order more things to try.

#14 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

Just took some out of towners to Lark/Licorous and as always it was fantastic! they have a few new bartenders that are doing a really good job. And the food is always so solid at a great price!

We will be in Europe for all but your last few days in town so will check back in later and see if we might be able to meet up for a drink/nosh with you!

Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#15 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:13 PM

I was cruising the AAA Tour Book yesterday and noticed two Unions listed for Seattle. Which one do youse guys like best?
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran