54 replies to this topic

#1 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:20 AM

I PM'd the one MF'er I've known who has been there -- but I'm curious if anyone else has and if they have any thoughts on it as a destination. I discovered over my weekend in Los Angeles that I have an old acquaintence living there and as I am looking for an escape in late July, wondering what info might out there to entice me one way or another.

#2 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Jun 5 2008, 09:20 PM) View Post
I PM'd the one MF'er I've known who has been there -- but I'm curious if anyone else has and if they have any thoughts on it as a destination. I discovered over my weekend in Los Angeles that I have an old acquaintence living there and as I am looking for an escape in late July, wondering what info might out there to entice me one way or another.

Mr. Fly has a painting on permanent display at the Canadian Embassy there, but I suspect you'd need more enticement than that!

“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#3 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Jun 5 2008, 09:20 PM) View Post

My son's wife is from a Norwegian family who travel their frequently. I will ask her.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#4 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

We visited Oslo a few years ago and really liked it. It's quite small, though, so a weekend is probably sufficient. But you could combine it with a trip to the fjords (which are magnificent) for a longer vacation.

If you do go, the Norwegian Folk Museum (not as dull as it sounds -- an open-air museum of old Norwegian buildings) is great.

The food's ok but nothing exceptional.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#5 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

I'm re-thinking the plan. I have tickets for Amsterdam and "a quick jaunt" up to Oslo just to see old friends (and the Munch museum, the fjords, and a few other things) might not be worth the extra money.

Europe was so bloody expensive in March and I'm trying to do this for myself on a shoe-string.

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,800 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

were i you, i'd just hold out till i won the peace prize. they pay your airfare and give you a nice cash prize, maybe enough for a weekend in paris

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#7 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Jun 6 2008, 09:40 AM) View Post
I'm re-thinking the plan. I have tickets for Amsterdam and "a quick jaunt" up to Oslo just to see old friends (and the Munch museum, the fjords, and a few other things) might not be worth the extra money.

Europe was so bloody expensive in March and I'm trying to do this for myself on a shoe-string.

It is a long way from civilization. I was there for a conference and getting there took the best part of two days. Flying JFK to London, London to Oslo, Oslo to Alesunde, bus (three hours) from Alesunde to Geiranger (the fjord).
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#8 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Not pining for it, then? The fjord?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jun 6 2008, 12:40 PM) View Post
Not pining for it, then? The fjord?

laugh.gif
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:51 PM

were i you, i'd just hold out till i won the peace prize. they pay your airfare and give you a nice cash prize, maybe enough for a weekend in paris

See, I figured I'd come here before I win the Peace Prize, so that when I visit when I do, I won't seem uncosmopolitan.

The first thing is the usual shock when you get off an airplane in Scandinavia:  everybody is physically perfect!  All genders.  At first it's distracting to be surrounded by such consistent physical beauty.  But you get used to it.  And everybody is very friendly, in that reserved Scandinavian way.*

Small city with a fabulous situation on the fjord.  I had thought San Francisco's situation couldn't be improved on.  I was wrong.

___________________________________________________________________________________

* When I was in Stockholm I actually became temporarily friendly with a famous Swedish model and her model husband.  We had a couple of meals together.  The thing was, I had no idea, when I met them, who they were.  They were extremely good looking -- but not so much better looking than everybody else around (as they would be in most places) that their looks screamed out, professional models!!  I only found out when someone who saw us together told me about them.  (They just evasively said they were "in the fashion industry".)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:54 PM

Brooklyn-obsessed Stockholm won't want to hear it, but here is my comparative estimation of the three major Scandinavian capitals (we're excluding Helsinki as not totally Scandinavian):  Oslo is Brooklyn to Stockholm's Uptown and Copenhagen's Downtown.  Obviously I like it here.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

Really? I don't buy that.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

Tjuvholmen Sjømagasin

Norway is famous for the insanely high-quality seafood it extracts from the icy waters that surround and suffuse it.  In fact, I would say that if you don't like eating fish, you should probably not come here.  But if you do . . . .

This is an upscale fish restaurant in the new Tjuvholmen district, a formerly derelict waterfront area that is not being gentrified but rather totally redeveloped.  As such, it's the kind of neighborhood I usually hate:  shiny, new, and soulless -- a playground for the wealthy douche squad.  (Think of Puerto Madero in Buenos Aires.)  But here, it kind of works:  the city is small enough that this new area doesn't seem (and in fact isn't) cut off from the rest of the city.  And in egalitarian Scandinavia, the douche factor is less of a problem (not that I'm running to the nightclub whose house drink is the vodka martini -- and not that I haven't been spending most of my time in the bohemian East [but later for that]).

But anyway, back to the fish.  This is a good restaurant.  The food is fancied up, but the kitchen's grasp is well within its reach.  So the curried king crab salad -- king crab is the pride of Norway -- impressed mainly by its freshness, the curry adding a slight accent on the way down.  And the fried trout, sitting on top of a mild cream sauce:  what a thing of beauty.

Not to oversell this.  It's an above-average fish restaurant.  But what fish.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

Lofoten

More fish.  Lofoten is an archipelago in the north of Norway.  I have no idea how characteristic this food is of there.  But again, it was good.

To start, pickled skate with pickled chanterelles.  This just worked.  The skate was succulent (although cooked this way -- or rather, not cooked -- the cartilage was absolutely unsoftened, much less cooked out).

Then, grilled mink whale in what I took to be a red wine sauce.  Just think, up until this week I had never eaten whale.  What it's like is, it's like wild venison, but even more livery.  Too livery for me, in fact:  I now know that wild venison is where I stop.  It's nice not to crave a food that's so endangered.

Anyway, another recommended fish restaurant.  A little more elemental than the other one.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Matshallen

Oslo joins many other world cities in establishing a disappointing food hall.

This is in Vulkan, just across the river from Grünerløkka, the Brooklyn of Oslo (it's a small river).  In terms of prepared food, the best on offer seemed to be the fish and chips that the fishmonger made.  With fries and mushy peas.  Not necessarily characteristically Norwegian.  But the fish itself was insanely good.  I'm pretty sure it was halibut.

Bar Loser

MF Old