#46 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

Fuglen

Fuglen is a coffee bar by day, cocktail bar by night, gallery/showroom for shabby chic old Scandinavian Modern* furniture and wall hangings -- all of them for sale -- at all times.

The cocktails are expert.

The place itself, though, is nowhere near as fun as the antic Himkok.  Fuglen is located near the University, so maybe things will perk up when classes start later in the month.  It seems pretty chill and expensive for a student hang, though -- although Norwegians are a pretty chill and wealthy people.

*  You can't call this stuff "kitschy", because this style, after all these years, still has zero kitsch factor.  It's a fresh now as it was in the '50s.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#47 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:12 PM

Ekebergrestauranten

Ekeberg Restaurant is in a park on the eastern fringe of the city.

It's notable for two things.

First, the physical plant.  It's a notable example of Functionalist architecture from the 1930s.  Like many building projects in that decade, it was never quite finished (in this case, only some details were left undone).  The restaurant was popular for a long time, then fell into desuetude, then was fairly recently renovated (the incomplete parts being completed).  Now, it's popular again.

Second, the site.  The restaurant is in a park, on a high bluff overlooking the Oslo fjord, offering sweeping views.

This seems like a touristy spot, but most of my fellow patrons appeared to be locals.

You wouldn't expect good food here; it would be like expecting good food in Tavern on the Green.  So it's a pleasant surprise that the food is well better than adequate.  I had, for lunch, the local standard shrimp toast, a pile of small shrimp on a buttery piece of toast with mayonnaise squiggled on top.  These weren't the best shrimp I've had on this trip to Oslo -- but they were still at the very top of what we get in New York.

The blueberry cobbler I had for dessert suffered from being too fancied up.  Sometimes trying to serve "good cuisine" gets in the way.

Despite one's natural misgivings, this place is well worth visiting.  (Ekeberg Park, with its modern sculptures strewn about and its miles of hiking trails, is a worthwhile destination in itself.)

Oddly, this is operated by the same restaurant group that runs Maaemo.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#48 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,682 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

Fuglen

Fuglen is a coffee bar by day, cocktail bar by night, gallery/showroom for shabby chic old Scandinavian Modern* furniture and wall hangings -- all of them for sale -- at all times.

The cocktails are expert.

The place itself, though, is nowhere near as fun as the antic Himkok.  Fuglen is located near the University, so maybe things will perk up when classes start later in the month.  It seems pretty chill and expensive for a student hang, though -- although Norwegians are a pretty chill and wealthy people.

*  You can't call this stuff "kitschy", because this style, after all these years, still has zero kitsch factor.  It's a fresh now as it was in the '50s.

I would also say you can't call it kitschy because it's a famous hangouts for Nordic designers. (and now in Tokyo, has a Norwegian Icons furniture shop/gallery attached too)

I am thinking of breaking in one night and keying their record collection, because that's just wrong.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#49 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

It was frustrating, cuz they had a jukebox with jukebox hits on it as part of the decor, but it wasn't operational and they kept playing this International Chill Music instead.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#50 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,682 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

Tokyo is all Ethiopian (why? I dunno) and Norwegian folk now. Used to at least be spaced with Sister Nancy but I guess the record got worn down.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#51 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

Oslo just sounds like a hotel lobby.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#52 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:08 AM

Thinking about this vacation in retrospect, I don't know if AaronS will be disappointed or relieved that I didn't go to a single black metal event.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#53 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:15 AM

I'm just glad you lived to post another day.

#54 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,519 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:23 AM

Tokyo is all Ethiopian (why? I dunno) and Norwegian folk now.

FWIW, the day after I got home I went to an avant garde vocal show in Brooklyn featuring, among others, a Swedish-Ethiopian singer now resident in Oslo.

So maybe it's a thing.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#55 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

I will try and write a bit more on Oslo when Sneak writes about Vespertine, but wow is Maaemo a good restaurant. 

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.