#166 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Aug 25 2009, 03:25 PM) View Post
Nobody asked but...on the advice of my friend who used to work for Janovic, I don't prime when I paint walls.

even a new plaster wall?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#167 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,660 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Aug 25 2009, 02:25 PM) View Post
Nobody asked but...on the advice of my friend who used to work for Janovic, I don't prime when I paint walls.

nor does mrs. jones, and she's painted the complete interior walls of both of our houses.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#168 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Aug 25 2009, 03:26 PM) View Post

even a new plaster wall?

Oh that I don't know. Is it not going to stick to the plaster or something? Why would you prime a new plaster wall?

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#169 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Aug 25 2009, 03:29 PM) View Post

even a new plaster wall?

Oh that I don't know. Is it not going to stick to the plaster or something? Why would you prime a new plaster wall?

because the plaster guy said to. i've never primed a wall before and i've painted a lot of walls but he made a big deal about priming first

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#170 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Aug 25 2009, 03:31 PM) View Post

even a new plaster wall?

because the plaster guy said to. i've never primed a wall before and i've painted a lot of walls but he made a big deal about priming first

Dunno, it's up to you but I don't see the point and since you don't own the place...
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#171 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Aug 25 2009, 03:35 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Aug 25 2009, 03:31 PM) View Post

even a new plaster wall?

Dunno, it's up to you but I don't see the point and since you don't own the place...

true, i guess that i'm so used to owning that i always forget that i don't own this place. no primer it is!

~Jack Handey

#172 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

I think the fresh plaster might absorb a ton of paint of it's not primed first.

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#173 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(Blondie @ Aug 25 2009, 12:39 PM) View Post

But she likes the drama.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#174 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(Blondie @ Aug 25 2009, 03:39 PM) View Post

That would be my guess. And if you don't prime, you'll probably have to apply a second top coat.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#175 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,198 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

uncoated sheetrock pretty much has to be primed or it'll look like crap even with two coats. Painted walls don't need to be re-primed usually assuming the existing paint isn't unusual.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#176 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

I almost always prime painted walls with stain-blocking primer. But I'm unusual.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#177 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(Blondie @ Aug 25 2009, 12:39 PM) View Post

This. I think you'll save money on paint if you shell out for a coat of primer.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#178 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

so, abbylovi is trying to trick me into wasting paint.

~Jack Handey

#179 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(Anthony Bonner @ Aug 25 2009, 06:13 PM) View Post
uncoated sheetrock pretty much has to be primed or it'll look like crap even with two coats. Painted walls don't need to be re-primed usually assuming the existing paint isn't unusual.

you have to be careful to clean the wall of any grease -- primer is very sticky and somewhat diminishes that need.

re unusual paint: the house i owned in seattle had a 16 x 20 living room with a dark brown ceiling. primer was a necessity.

man, i need a headache

#180 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(porkwah @ Aug 25 2009, 07:04 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Anthony Bonner @ Aug 25 2009, 06:13 PM) View Post

you have to be careful to clean the wall of any grease -- primer is very sticky and somewhat diminishes that need.

re unusual paint: the house i owned in seattle had a 16 x 20 living room with a dark brown ceiling. primer was a necessity.

you mean, i should not have have spread lard on the new plaster walls?

~Jack Handey