190 replies to this topic

#61 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:02 AM

and said depending on the size of the house it would take 3-4 hours this does not sound right. The size of the house is a known quantity.
"I mispoke."

#62 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE(Miguel Gierbolini @ Jun 25 2008, 07:02 PM) View Post
and said depending on the size of the house it would take 3-4 hours this does not sound right. The size of the house is a known quantity.

not until they look at it, surely.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#63 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

In the process of taking down the ceiling fan in my bedroom (I've now taken down four of five this house once had) I discovered that I shouldn't have been so cavalier about placing my bed below it. The previous homeowners clearly decided to improvise when they installed the godawful thing. Driving lag screws at odd angles through holes in the junction box to support the fan bracket. I think they probably hoped to hit some wood framing above (they didn't). Well, one of the two lag screws was stripped and, therefore, not able to support any weight. This explains the wobbling when the fan was running.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#64 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for escalating the casual, passing fear I've had about the fan above my bed.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#65 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

Don't use the paddles to air-dry your laundry and you should be OK.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#66 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(SLBunge @ Dec 29 2008, 01:48 PM) View Post
In the process of taking down the ceiling fan in my bedroom (I've now taken down four of five this house once had) I discovered that I shouldn't have been so cavalier about placing my bed below it. The previous homeowners clearly decided to improvise when they installed the godawful thing. Driving lag screws at odd angles through holes in the junction box to support the fan bracket. I think they probably hoped to hit some wood framing above (they didn't). Well, one of the two lag screws was stripped and, therefore, not able to support any weight. This explains the wobbling when the fan was running.

Putting screws into the electrical junction box was a common way of installing ceiling fans years ago. I believe the current standard requires the fan to be secured directly to a joist. Although wobbling could also be caused by a loose fan blade, it's likely (as you note) that the whole fan is off balance.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#67 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

okay, i'm sick of frozen kitchen pipes. i dripped the faucet last night, as i do every night, and the cold water pipe froze anyway. as did the kitchen drain. time to get the wall opened up and these bastards insulated. is this something done by plumbers or by some other species of over-priced craftsman?

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#68 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

Over-priced craftsmen.

Have you tried buying pipe insulation at HD? It's a flexible foam that slips over the pipe. You can also buy a 3/4" or so inch sheet to place against the wall behind the pipes. Let me know if it works, cause I'm planning on trying it.

Oh -- Are you pipes freezing inside the wall? Yeah, can't help you.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#69 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

yes, our pipes are not exposed.

~homer simpson

#70 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

Is it your house or do you rent? If it's yours you can tear a hole in the wall and insulate the pipes, whilst you're there you can check to see what insulation you've got in the walls and make plans to have it improved during the summer. You could bring the piping inside if insulating isn't practical and box it within insulated framework. I've replumbed the whole of our house (including the central heating) using plastic pipes and pushfit fittings and if I can do it one handed you sure as hell can do it.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#71 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

it's our house. but i'm not doing any re-plumbing.

good news: i used a hairdryer to blow hot air down the opening in the dry wall under the sink where the pipes to the faucet come in. this has thawed the frozen cold water pipe and water is once again flowing. and there don't seem to be leaks anywhere.

bad news: the sink drain is still frozen, and so it doesn't matter that the water is flowing in, as it can't flow out. the drain pipe is not as easy to access so i can't do much with the hairdryer. but we've turned the heat in the house up to 72, and are hoping that'll do the job sooner rather than later.

~homer simpson

#72 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jan 16 2009, 03:34 PM) View Post
it's our house. but i'm not doing any re-plumbing.

good news: i used a hairdryer to blow hot air down the opening in the dry wall under the sink where the pipes to the faucet come in. this has thawed the frozen cold water pipe and water is once again flowing. and there don't seem to be leaks anywhere.

bad news: the sink drain is still frozen, and so it doesn't matter that the water is flowing in, as it can't flow out. the drain pipe is not as easy to access so i can't do much with the hairdryer. but we've turned the heat in the house up to 72, and are hoping that'll do the job sooner rather than later.

Keeping in mind that what I know for a fact can be printed on the head of a pin.... at some point in our house's history, smallish holes were drilled and some sort of "blow in" insulation was, you guess it, blown in to the space between wall and lath/plaster. Is THAT possible to do in this day and age? Would it help at all? I'm thinking it could possibly be pinpointed to the route of the pipes.
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."

#73 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

i'm beginning to think that the kitchen drain may be clogged and not frozen. the bedroom shower drain is usually the first thing to freeze when we have these problems, and that thawed yesterday as a result of our cranking the heat in the house up to 70 degrees all day. however, no movement in the kitchen drain, which has never frozen before. we're out most of the day today, but when we get back i'm going to undo that s trap thingy and see what's what.

~homer simpson

#74 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

so, my adventures in diy drain fixing have not met with resounding success. but the key is that they have not also met with resounding catastrophe. i undid the "s" trap under the sink and there was no clog in it. but there was excitement as foul smelling water from further down the line poured into the pan i'd cunningly placed under the opening. less cunningly, i had failed to take into account the force with which said foul smelling water would emerge, and so there was much bathing in evil fluids for both my jeans and the floor surrounding. fun! anyway, i unwrapped the "snake" i'd purchased from ace hardware and fed it into the pipe. there were a couple of promising moments when it felt like i must have pushed through something, but no dice. i managed to get about 5 feet of the snake into the pipe before encountering something that wouldn't allow further progress: either a block of ice, a huge clog, a turn in the pipe, or perhaps an angry wizard. i suspect it is a clog. nothing else along the side of that wall is frozen, and this pipe has never frozen before. it would be a tremendous coincidence for it to have clogged on the very night that the cold water pipe froze, but who knows? hopefully, the plumber we will call on monday will know. and hopefully his heavy duty auger will burst through the clog if it is indeed one. just in case the pipe is frozen further down, i drained all the water out and sent some very hot water down the pipe till it just began to back up. i am so smart. s m r t! i mean s m a r t!

stay tuned, faithful audience!

~homer simpson

#75 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

I'm on the edge of my seat.